The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Hickory Timbers?  (Read 2521 times)

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
Re: Hickory Timbers?
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2017, 09:01:12 pm »
The bark is worth that?

I am surprise the wood did not move with you.  Is that because of the scaffolding?

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2017, 10:13:02 pm »
That will be a beauty.  Heck, it already is.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline nativewolf

• I'm new!
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2017, 10:26:43 pm »
Is that bark for siding?  Seems that the bark is a nice bit of gravy. 

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2017, 10:34:23 pm »
It is something else, never tried anything like this before. "sure why not" gets me into more trouble  :D

We were just playing since the bark was slipping and it is easier to saw nekkid. The retail is $6-10 per sq ft with big sheets bringing the premium, I think at that size it is interior wall covering and the 18-24" long pieces are for siding. I don't know the wholesale buyers but I do see the occasional truck or trailer leaving here loaded. I think heading down to the Boone area.

The scaffold is just resting up there so provides no support. The learning curve has definitely been there on this. Across an old entrenched roadbed is not the best bearing for this thing. When we made the first cut we did put a couple of jacks under it. The second cut rides parallel to the first surface so those two were good cuts. While it was laying down with the flattened faces up and down I snapped a line for that third cut. We then rolled it upright and I set up the scaffold off of that line bearing on the 3 braces, the two "nice" ones and the far cobbled together in the woods one. I neglected to put the jack back under it for that cut and should have. The cuts wandered across the lines even in the 24' span about 3/8". Tolerable but could be better, supporting the long log better would have eliminated that.

As we drug it out of the woods across small pieces of logs it deflected maybe 3-4" at times but never seemed to be anywhere near in trouble. Just so nobody thinks this is adequate for a 60' clear span, in the final installation each end will be resting on a 20' log wall and there is an 18' drive through bay between the log cribs, so the beam is actually sized for that 18' clear span. The butt end is select structural, in the midspan area it is #1 and a the top end it drops to a #2. The single piece helps tie the building together. The landowner thinks he found us another tree, we'll try to check it out tomorrow. It looks like rain is moving back into the forcast so we'll try to get this one over to the jobsite in the morning and then either go for the next one or saw at my mill depending on the weather the rest of the week. I am going to tour part of a huge old estate on Wed. It was built in the '30's as the chestnuts were dying and is predominantly chestnut and its' bark, native stone, etc. Should be fun  8).

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 06:32:28 am »
It's fun on this end watching the progress.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Weekend_Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Jack of all trades, master of fun
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2017, 06:46:42 am »

I am enjoying this thread.
I had never heard of poplar bark siding but a quick search and there it is.
I'm wondering how it lasts off of the tree.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe. ... and it looks like my dream will come true!

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2017, 05:54:35 pm »
If it stays dry or can dry rapidly, as long as any I suppose. Chestnut was the old time stuff popularized around Linville, Blowing Rock and Hendersonville NC around the turn of the century. Now poplar has taken its place, just as it has in the forest.

We got it to the log yard across the road from the barn this morning, piece of cake. Al looked like he was ready to go jousting with that thing dangling out in front of him 40'  :D

We walked bunch of mountain afterwards, found some neat places and kept going a few times even though I knew I was outside of where we could get one out, nice land. We found 3 candidates and cleaned up behind this one, there were 2 good trailerloads of big slabs that will get further processing for something, I voted for dining or picnic tables.

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • My homepage
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2017, 06:16:38 pm »
 I've moved some long ones with the back half of a running gear. This log would have made a 68'-6" 12"x12".

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2017, 07:01:53 pm »
The first 60'er got set this afternoon. We lost one in the woods when we opened up a rotten spot inside... on the third face, bummer! We found and finished up another and Al got it to the site yesterday. The remaining three 60' beams will be scarfed, which will be fine. These ones tied together by the four 6x8 tie beams we made today are going to lock the log cribs together well.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2017, 11:14:58 pm »
We had to bail in the rain yesterday with just one tie beam in, those peeled poplar logs made a banana peel look positively sticky when they got wet, hopefully we'll get the other 3 ties and the other 60' plate up Wed.
I forgot to take the camera today but set up the trebuchet at a timberframer's house and got it chunking watermelons. When his son got in and saw what we were up to there was talk of watermelon skeet shooting  :D

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2017, 07:32:47 am »
I forgot to take the camera today but set up the trebuchet at a timberframer's house and got it chunking watermelons. When his son got in and saw what we were up to there was talk of watermelon skeet shooting  :D

Now this needs a picture!

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2017, 10:53:40 pm »
I wasn't there for the mass-a-cree but apparently great fun was had by all protecting America from flying watermelons  :D I think we have a new sport.

The barn project made half the front page of the paper today and most of page 3, well it is a small town. We got the 4 tie beams and the other 60' plate zipped in this morning. Don and I worked in the woods yesterday and dropped another large poplar and began slabbing it up for a 40' beam, it'll get scarfed to make one of the remaining three 60' plates. After lunch today we finished it, cleaned up a bit and drug it out to the road. I got into a little grove of hawthorns and took them out while we were in there, I flat out hate hawthorns... and they apparently return the sentiment. Al will finish pegging down the ties and plates and then get the beam to the site tomorrow then we're off to another part of the farm to get some more.

I've bought a little Gehl 3825 bobcat and have been playing with it here widening the road around the barn, moving mountains of sawdust and building a road to the backside of the high tunnel.  I'm used to hand and foot controls, these are all on the sticks, probably should have held out but it is a nice little older unit that has low hours and was well kept from what I can tell. Should have bought one years ago. Young men buy tools, old men buy equipment  :).

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2017, 07:45:38 pm »
We're slowly plugging away, both 60' plates and tie beams are up on the log cribs. The first scarfed 60' plate is up on its' 9x12 white oak posts to carry the first section of shed roof. The end posts were grooved to accept the tenons on the log extensions that form the 10' section of wall beyond the log cribs.

There was another continuation section of shed 10'  toward the camera in that shot that will be done in timber on a stemwall, but the rafters over the log cribs and this first lofted shed will go in first, then the mason will rotate in while the shed off the far side is being done. They are working on the stemwall for the south shed, to the right end right now.

The rafters were log, flattened on the top side for the skip sheathing. We are doing a minimal skim, code says to keep it less than 30% of diameter. We are letting crook wander side to side and trying to saw the flattest face to preserve the most "meat". The short rafters fit in between the posts on the Lucas but we have some up to 21' and they need to come in and out from the end. We set up 40' of roller table and sawed a 4x12x21' to support a pair of V'ed bunks that support the rafters. We load the rafter outside onto the V bunks with the forks on the loader and then roll it in, saw, roll out, unload and then debark. About 2 minutes of sawing and 10 minutes of debarking.

Partway through the crew needed some 2x6's so we loaded some logs onto the roller tables without our 4x12. We were sawing our way down through the log and neglected to think about how far down the blade drops while swinging between horizontal and vertical. Lucas blades don't quite make it through steel rollers  ::) oops!

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2017, 08:25:19 pm »
Ouch!

Great thread, thanks!

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2017, 07:19:58 am »
What a great project and a fine job.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2017, 12:02:21 pm »
We got drafted to help reset the old upper rafters this past week. The crew was trying to reuse them since the span is relatively short and they could install a collar tie to help stiffen them. They set them up on a couple of beams in the haybarn to duplicate those long top plate beams and we sawed 2x6's to go on top of the severely swaybacked old rafters. They then ran strings and shimmed the 2x6's to create a flat plane for the new skip sheathing that will go on under the metal roof.

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2017, 12:35:55 pm »
Very ingenious.  Looking good.

Offline btulloh

• I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2017, 03:57:57 pm »
That's a big structure.  Nice work.

Do you have a guy working for you named Johnny Jett?
HM126

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2017, 10:44:19 pm »
No, I think he is with Barnwood Builders?

This might work for a link to the article in the paper a week or two ago;
http://www.independencedeclaration.com/content/preserving-family-history#.WXxfMqswMqQ.yahoomail

Offline btulloh

• I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2017, 07:24:19 am »
The link leads to the first paragraph of the article, but you have to be a subscriber to get the rest of it.  Sounds interesting.  Wish I could read the whole thing.

Just kidding with the Johnny Jett question - your picture reminded me of that show.
HM126