iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

I love sandhill cranes and great blue herons.  It always makes my day when they pay us a visit.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Mooseherder

A few more Bird pictures from the cam by the pond.
Egrets, Blue Herons and another Sandill Crane.

SwampDonkey

Those game cameras sure are great. Love the birds Moose. Only in recent years have sand hills been found up this way. I've only seen them in the UP of MI when visiting Jeff's. It's funny, when I come out that way to the Brokaw's, I'm also visiting another friend Jeff and his family at the Sault, Ontario.  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

I saw them in Maine last year and thought that was odd.

SwampDonkey

Was just looking at my bird book here, and besides nesting along the Quebec/Ontario border, the only other nesting colony it shows on the map is in Lac St Jean in Alma,Quebec. It's a huge lake and a large farming area north of the St Lawrence. The Sagueny River comes out of there. Two hours north of Quebec city to Chicoutimi, and then it's up river from there a ways. Just shows a dot on the map.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

OneWithWood

Sandhills are making a big comeback.  A large part of the comeback is the Goose Hollow preserve in Southern Indiana.  Sometimes we do something that has a major positive payback.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

SwampDonkey

Yes, most of the nesting range is west of Quebec and into the far north of Canada. Mostly what we would call Hudson's Bay territory. Water that flows to the Arctic and Hudson's Bay.

Mooseherder

The Sandhill Cranes came by for a visit today.
The babies are getting bigger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B65tL5JD1CA

Autocar

We have had nesting eagles all around us but its the first time we have had one in Auglaize Cty. Always fun to see them, yesturday one of them had a fox squirrel. Here setting at the computer I have a robin setting on a nest and the next tree a little higher is a blue jay setting on her nest. I don't think they have eggs yet but not sure they sure like to dive bomb each other.
Bill

SwampDonkey

I think robins breed like rabbits. As soon as they arrive here they set up boundaries to their territory. And the squack'n starts when another comes into their space. :D I have seen little sparrows, might be chip'n sparrow, but they sit on the same exact trees when I go for a walk. One is one a cedar and other on a willow about 1/2 mile apart. But I have walked by them several times and they are always in the same trees. ;D

An eagle flew by the house a week ago. A moose was shot a couple falls ago and the guts left in a field, a couple ate on that for a few days. The ravens made an awful time but never came near as long as the eagles were there.

Mooseherder

The Sandhill Cranes have been here everyday.  It is sad one of the babies didn't make it.
This is the case most often when the parents have two.  A preying animal or car hit it because they are always crossing busy roads.
The first part of the video, they are laying down in some Mahogany branches I had trimmed on Saturday.  The second part is from Sunday  I was in front of the garage working on a project and they came up to me.  One pecked at some pecan planer shavings off the infeed table.
I went in to get my camera and my wife had got some footage of them coming up to me from inside the house from my daughter's camera.
I'll have to get that footage later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynk4MKdRdjo

SwampDonkey

Nice birds.

I have been hearing the bitterns looking for a mate, the snipes doing their thing, ducks on the beaver ponds. Man those beavers have a lot of woods flooded around here.  ::)

WDH

They must have heard that you had some pecan.  They look disappointed that there were not any nuts.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ron Scott

You've made some great friends.
~Ron

Mooseherder

I'm disappointed the pecans are all gone. :D
They were so good that they were gone in no time.
The planer was putting off a sweet aroma though.
I think other humans in the neighborhood are feeding the critters getting them used to handouts. 

WDH

From a birds perspective, not a bad way to raise a family. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

While driving down to the field earlier this week, I saw this guy or gal perched in a tree just off the raod.

I fired off an email to a friend and told her about seeing a Long-Eard Owl attached was a pic ...  She promptly replied that its was a Great Horned Owl.....  Well, we have a debate  :D   

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sandhills

Never saw one like that, who won the debate? 

SwampDonkey

I must be loosing it. I thought I posted in here about your owl Marcel. :D I was only saying that I don't see many owls, but hear them often. The last owl I saw was a barred owl a couple years ago sitting in a maple. Not much for large cavity trees around.

sprucebunny

Here is a (not very good..) scan of the two owls on a National Audubon Bird book page.

The shape of the eyes on Marcel's owl looks like the great horned. I don't know if the shape of thier eyes changes with thier mood  ;D

I think it's a young great horned

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ken

I love this time of year in the woods.  Lots of birds singing although I can only recognize a handful by their call. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

SwampDonkey

Especially in hardwood thinnings. Couldn't even begin to name all them warblers or remember the names. :D

Onthesauk

A bird guy I know calls them LBB's, (little brown birds.) ;)
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Ianab

Walking through one of the town parks this afternoon, on the way to pick up Lara from school, and there was this funny looking duck by the pond. Got a bit closer, and...

You see them occasionally in the country, but I've never seen one in town before  ???

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Where the folks live is a housing development, and there are a lot of wild unkept lots there with tall weeds and young thick growing trees for cover. There are lots of pheasants there that raid everyone's garden. See them all the time. See hens with chicks all summer long. However, I was surprised a couple weeks ago though, to hear one near the edge of the woodlot crowing. There are areas near the cleared fields that have tall weeds, so I suppose enough cover for the pheasant to call for a mate. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!