iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cypressstump

I saw a documentary where woodpeckers were a topic. It was said that they have an extraordinary thick skull and their brain is encased in a substance that is thicker than in  other birds or animals, the stuff acts as a shock absorber Their brain is proportionately smaller to their size than in other creatures, they have a special muscle that absorbs the impact given the fact their brain is located above the centerline of their beak. An like Den mentioned the blows are intentionally straight forward to keep torsional forces minimized. On top of everything else they have a tongue that is barbed to help retrieve insects from their burrows. And they look freaky when you think about it..
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

chain

Our bluebirds are back and nesting in the yard box. Last year was a first ever for nesting bluebirds here, also in June. Think I've figured out why they are nesting late here is..because we have so many sparrows and starlings that nest earlier and compete with the BBs, but at this late date the other birds have raised their young and flown the coop!

SwampDonkey

The tree swallows here take over any nest box and they are kind of territorial so any other nest box near by gets guarded to. Mom has seen blue birds for the last few years, but no one she has talked to have them in nesting boxes. I guess they much just nest in the thickets instead. We have small birds here that nest into early August. The woods are alive with little birds, some I don't know because you can't see them in the thickets.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

In areas of NS they have found a few bald eagles getting sick or dying from lead poisoning. It is believed to be from lures in fish and lead shot in animals that they consume.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Saw a  hummingbird perched on the telephone line. I have a nest on top of 2 boxes of chains for my chainsaw. I have the boxes hung on a nail in the tractor shed. The Pee Wees are just about ready to leave the nest i would think. One of my friends Granddaughter heads right over there every time see comes over. I think Mama got after my dog the other day. I heard a yelp and kinda saw her fly away from her. I had a canadian goose in the field the other day. We hear them down at the pond alot.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

The hummers like to buzz my red hard hat in the woods. You don't think of hummers in the woods maybe, just around the yard. But the woods has lots of hummers.  ;D

Autocar

Today I heard a racket down by the shop and made a mad dash in time to grab a baby Baltimore from a cat. Mom and Dad was flying around raising cane plus the baby was screaming bloody murder. My wife heald the baby while I cut a two pound coffee can lower then I nailed it to the twelve foot stick and put the bird in the can and C clamped it to the side of the burn barrel  :D Next thing the darn thing jumps up on the edge of the can and glides off and crashes. I catch him again and set him on a limb and he repeats the whole jumping off routine. By now every cat within hundreds is lurking around, I get him again and set him up on another limb . Mon and Dad is still screaming bloody murder and I turned  and walked away  :-\ Not sure how it turned out but hope he made it.
Bill

Cypressstump

I had started another topic not realizing this thread was actually in reference to favorite birds as well......
here's mine -

Mine favorite bird would be the little House Wren. It seems they are very much like myself, tend to never have the time to stop,,,,,

They are very industrious little guys. Very inquisitive, not overly spooked of humans, seems to cohabitate with us very well. At times the ones around my mill are very curious. They'll flirt around all the stacks of fresh cut and love to hunt and explore in the piles of flitches tossed off to the side. They'll fly right up to me at times If I happen to be setting still long enough, and do that little up and down squatting movemnet thing they do while staring at me while determining their next move.

Also they are the first bird in the morning to begin their wake up call at my place. I love to hear them start off in the mornings.
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

thecfarm

The pee wees have flown the coop. I was working on the veggie shack when a peewee just about clipped me at the knees. I went right over and checked,all gone. One was dead on the ground. I did not tell the Granddughter about that one. But she came over and was bummed out that they was gone. She enjoyed seeing them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thecfarm

I was standing in the yard talking to a customer and saw a pileated woodpecker fly out of the woods. Don't see many of them but hear them often. He did not get far when a good size limb fell to the ground. I went over after they left and looked at it. Seemed like he was eating supper on it and it break off.

Migal

:) seems like the woodpeckers don't mind the heat as much as some new millers  8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

wdtik

I enjoy hiking in the woods anytime of the year, usually with
my wife.  Generally I have a camera handy for any wildlife  opportunities I happen upon.
I was in elk hunting mode, working down a steep lodgepole mountain side and
low and behold I spotted a fledgeling owl.  We spent some time stalking
and shooting  pics tho the baby pics were kinda dark and fuzzy, but the
one of mama came out pretty good.. Great horned owl.

Who--whoho :D

SwampDonkey

Nice picture. You know we have a fellow member here who takes fuzzy pics of his carvings of owls and places the carvings in his barn loft for a laugh. :D

I don't see owls often, but here them around. I might see a couple a year. One cross road near here I keep seeing a barred owl in the winter. The spot is old farm that grew up and was cut and some apple trees around. See deer there to in early winter around the apple trees. Some apple trees are what we call winter apples, the fruit stay on the trees until about Christmas.

wdtik

Yea, I saw the owl post on the carving, that would work pretty good
for keeping the trash birds out of your garden.

We live in a small mt valley and in Feb the owls get to hooting back and
forth at night-- mating season hooting at times, we hear them from in the
house...there were 3 fledglings in that group, nice to see.

Each owl will eat a couple of pack rats a day.  I set traps for pack rats
in the wood pile and get a few.  When I do it gets set out for the owls
on a big stump.  I've had owls wake us up when they eat the offering
sometimes making the strangest chirping noises...afterwords they
go to hooting... I feel blessed to be able to have owls around..CBD

Ron Scott

Where in Montana?
~Ron

wdtik

E. Powell Co, Little Blackfoot River/MacPass area---AKA heaven...

Cypressstump

This past Friday we were expecting a serious thunderstorm to pass thru the area. It was making for a gooden' too,,, skies blackened, windy and had just begun to shower moderately.
As I was sitting on the steps of the old camp on my property, pondering whether or not to try and pull up and old sinker log nearby, there appeared three little house Wrens flirting about. In the old pump shed, there's an last year Wren nest, that's visible from where I sat. Within 10 minutes of the Wrens arrival, all three had disappeared into the nest, occasionally peeking out for a gander.

Within another 10 minutes the bottom fell out of those dark clouds, dumping 8 inches in 3.5 hours. From now on, I think I'll plan any wet day activities around the movement of the Wrens... ;)....... Even they know when to stay indoors.
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift

doctorb

An auction of original Roger Tory Peterson drawings / prints is to take place on September 8.  I can't imagine what these will go for, but here is the info for any that may be interested.

http://guernseys.com/Guernseys%20New/peterson.html
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Onthesauk

Friend gave me his bird book at a bookstore signing, signed by both he and his wife.  Have used it for 30 plus years.  What an auction that would be!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

SwampDonkey

Lots of bird books in the Peterson style. Gotta think there are lots of talented artists that draw birds. Never know what stuff will fetch at auctions. Sometimes it's just hype around a name, sometimes it's more about talent. I word it this way, because I've seen some spendy art, that in my eyes, belonged on a bonfire. :D ;)

WmFritz

I pulled into my driveway yesterday about noon and saw this hen in my front yard. I stopped about 50 feet away and watched her. It was odd because 1. She stood there with her wings spread and 2. She wouldn't shy away like normal. Then I realized; it was raining softly and she was using her wings as an umbrella for a half dozen poults.
       I wish I'd had my real camera. 

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

SwampDonkey

Reminds me, I saw a hen with a bunch of chicks in the UP of Michigan on the way north to the Soo. I think it was just a bit north of Pickford. There were also a bunch of geese to one side of them. Geese were all over the fields up there. Also saw a few sandhills.

clww

I just watched the closing "Moments in Nature" on CBS Sunday Morning. They were showing the Burrowing Owls in Arizona. Cool, little guys. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

submarinesailor

Ran across this big boy yesterday on the way home from the doctors.  Nice ending to a ugly morning.  These were taken from a 300 yards using all the zoom I could.  I have always wanted to get some Bald Eagle pictures.  Wish these were a lot closer, but at least I catpured him on film/digital image.

Bruce

Migal

Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Thank You Sponsors!