iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

doctorb

SD -

Our Ontario cabin is on the same lake as a Queen's university biologic station.  They've got some very informed naturalists there.  They tell me that Golden Eagles are uncommonly seen in that area, and the sightings usually occur during the winter months.  I have never seen one in eastern Canada either but I'm not there during hard water time!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

According to my map we have a tiny isolated wintering population here along the Maine/New Brunswick border in the St John River Valley. And a small pocket up on the tip of the Gaspe, Quebec that is year round. Most of the eastern range is far northern Ontario, Quebec and Labrador.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Den Socling

Pine Creek, which runs through the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon runs through our front yard. We see a lot of Bald Eagles but we are pretty far downstream from the canyon. They usually show up down here late in the summer. More fish down here when the creek is shallow up stream, I guess. Anyway, we saw one in the front yard the other day. Very unusual.

One time while camped in the canyon, I walked down to check the canoes early one morning. I saw a Bald Eagle sitting in a tree across the creek. I watched him while I drank my coffee. All of a sudden he jumped off the branch, flew in front of me and hit the creek with a loud splash. He missed his fish. When he got a couple feet in the air again, he shook like a dog. I never imagined.

Another time, we had climbed a steep mountainside. We climbed out on a big rock that overlooked the creek. All of a sudden there was a Bald Eagle in our face. He came in lower than the rock and swooped up to land where we were sitting. He spread his wings to apply the air brakes. That was awesome.

Den Socling

Check out the chainsaw at the end. Fascinating but kind of sad that a saw is part of his vocabulary.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSB71jNq-yQ

beenthere

I got the strange feeling the chainsaw sound was dubbed in for the "enviro" effect. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Den Socling

You can't be serious. Would David Attenborough cheat? I think not!

SwampDonkey

I have to watch the barn door this time of year to keep it closed because the birds will get in and get trapped up stair and head to the windows to get out but can't. The other day heard a phoebe in there chirping and sure enough up in one of the windows. But I drove the bugger out.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

David Attenborough is one of my favorite Naturalists.

Every time that I see this thread, I smile and think about Bro. Noble.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Norm

We have a large population of bluebirds at our place this year, seems they've shown up earlier than before too. Patty's little bluebird house has a nesting pair in it which is a first too. They have to be one of my favorite birds.  :)

Me too Danny, seems to be a fitting tribute to a great guy.

Phorester

Owls Take No Prisoners

WDH

Quote from Briscoe Darling on the Andy Griffith Show, "What a owl does is a owl's own business). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don K

I did not get a picture last week but was treated to a once in a lifetime bird sighting. There were 7 wood storks roosting in a big dead pine at my grandaddy's home site. They are quite ugly birds and my neighbor looked them up on the web and say they are rare in our parts. I guess they were migrating through.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

SwampDonkey

Saw a few partridge this week (ruffed grouse) and took a video of a hen crossing the road. Just left her and went a few yard and there was the rooster on the side of the road. In the outback the grouse are not skiddish like near the settlements. More tame than chickens. ;D

I also took a video of a bald eagle sitting in a red spruce. Quite a long ways from a big body of water, but some small rivers near by.

Also saw a northern harrier hawk with a snake for a meal. ;D

SwampDonkey

No photos, as the GPS doesn't have a camera.  ;D But while marking off strip lines in thinning I walked right up to two woodcock nests, on separate lines. We have a color of ribbon to mark trails and safety concerns, I marked the nest locations. I would imagine the young leave the nest quite early like grouse do anyway. But those woods were full of woodcock today.  :)

Texas Ranger

I am with Danny, hard to see Bro Nobles name and not go back and read the thread.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Stephen Alford

Just wanted to make a small contribution.  This guy showed up while I was having lunch.  He may have owned a skidder with a detroit in another life.

He  was unsure where the sound of the camera was coming from and had a slow moving vechicle sign on the back.

He was definately not happy with a photo op while he was doing his wood work.   :D
logon

doctorb

In contrast to those nice pics, what confounds me about Flickers is the amount of time this woodpecker spends on the ground.  I know of no other that has this habit.  My cats have taken more than I would like to admit, and I have no way to stop that.  :(   Their feathers on the ground are unmistakable.  Fortunately, there seems to be no shortage of this species in my neck of the woods.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

At times the flicker seems to be as thick as robins and other times they must be off doing their thing. But robins are like that to. There is a spell that they are mainly in the woods and other times they take to the fields and yards.

terry f

Flickers get a bad rap around here, they seem to be the only woodpecker that has a taste for houses, but one of my favorite birds. Anything looking to eat bugs all day, can't be all bad.

beenthere

Speaking of birds, rec'd this today.

Unbelievable craftsmanship!!!!

Singing-Bird Pistols-Very Rare

This is a short video on a pair of almost 200-year old mechanical singing-bird pistols; whether or not you are an antique or fine art aficionado, you'll be glad you took a moment to watch this one-of-a-kind object of pure fancy. I thought I had excessive time on my hands........

http://www.christies.com/features/singing-bird-pistols-en-1422-3.aspx
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Hilltop366

I wonder how long it took to make them?

Sold for 5.8 million, a little out of my price range.

doctorb

Should have been a Forestry Forum auction item!  Would have sold for less than the axe!

Pretty cool, though.  Thanks for the post, beenthere.

Cypressstump

Down here we don't have as many flickers as I used to see as a kid in the woods. Have a mess of the red headed woodpeckers and as of late the pilated woodpeckers have made a very strong comeback. I have a nesting pair on my property. The young are oblivious to humans, and very curious. They'll fly down on a tree trunk at eye level and check you out sometimes. Very large birds. They will make a complete mess of any unpainted /treated wood that borer bees have laid egss/larvee in. They've torn up some exposed rough cut pine rafter ends on a out building, in search of the larvee. They also will wake the near dead from a sound sleep when hammering on those doggone rafters.... >:(  They must have a continous headache throughout their lifes... :)

Sunday while sitting on my dock having a cold adult beverage watching the boat traffic go by, during a break in traffic, an Osprey came overhead, folded up tight with his wings behind his back, feet extended and dove into the water after a fish. He was successful, and naturally a crow got after him, attempting to rob him of his dinner.

Stump
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

terry f

Like you Cypresstump, I always wondered how those birds heads could take that beating. Those pilated can sure throw some chips.

Den Socling

You can say that again. I had a downed tree behind the shop and the Pileated woodpeckers tore it apart. It looked like it was done over with a stump grinder. Woodpeckers are amazing. It's a wonder their heads don't come off. The reason they don't suffer brain damage may be because their brains are small and packed in their skull tightly. They also hit straight on and that avoids twisting the brain. Or so I've read.

Thank You Sponsors!