iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

There is already a nice "Bird" thread on the Forum with 52 pages of posts. 

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,9619.msg814455.html#msg814455

Lets not start another one.  I merged the two topics.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DDDfarmer

Canada jay, whiskey jack, camp robber whatever you like to call them.... watching one occupy the dog while the other comes in and steals the dogs food....

Yet really the best bird is cooked and on the table
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Roxie

My favorite, the female Cardinal. 
Say when

thecfarm

Eastern Blue Bird. Not many around here. I usally get a pair to nest. I would have more but the sparrows drove them off.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Kill deer and robins in the fields and white throated sparrow and chickadees in the woods. Snow buntings in the winter.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

In no particular order...cardinal, blue bird, oriole and one that's recently moved into our area the bald eagle.

doctorb

At home:  bluebird followed by the oriole

At the seashore:  glossy ibis followed by the skimmer

In Canada:  what else?  the common loon
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Riggs

wild turkey, red tail hawk, eastern blue bird.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

sandhills

The sparrow hawk (I'm using that very generically) that was in the sale ring at our sale barn last Saturday  ;D, it got the attention of more than a couple people sitting in there.  I have know idea if they actually go after sparrows or not but my boss said as soon as it left one rafter was lined with sparrows.  The ring is heated during sales and Saturday was one of the first cold days we've had in a long time so you really can't blame 'em  :D

OneWithWood

The Pileated is my favorite to watch but for song I think I have grown to like the various songs of the Tufted Titmouse the best.  But then again, there is something about the call fo the Sandhill Cranes flying high overhead.
There is one bird song that is a simple two tone song that reminds me of the communication device used in Star Trek.  I have yet to positively identify the bird making the song.  My best guess to date is a truncated Titmouse song.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

chain

Our favorite is  a bird we never see nor hear anymore, the Bob White[quail]. I've failed, in quail management.

Now, they say, I need to have a controlled burn, brings out more legumes and creates bare soil....and shrubby cover, etc.
Prescription management. :P

My prescription is knocking out dozens of various critters that feed upon eggs, chicks, and mature birds; they want them protected[critters],  too many "Friends of chicken hawks" :-\

sandhills

chain I think you're on the right path.  Between the chicken hawks, coyotes, and feral cats around I'm amazed any live, we still have a few coveys of quail around the farm but nothing compared to what you used to see.  My now deceased neighbors/landlords who I miss dearly found a quail egg one time and put in an incubater, it was the cutest little thing and was basically raised by the "wild" turkeys which they also helped get started around us.  It was funny as heck watching that tiny little thing running around with those big turkeys.  :)

Burlkraft

We have this group of 4 tom turkeys that are regulars at our bird feeders.
They have been hangin' here since they were youngins'
One of them has an obsession with his reflection in my truck bumper.

He just paces back and forth, occasionally pecking at my bumper while the others are eating up all the corn!
Why not just 1 pain free day?

beenthere

Quit spit-shining that bumper and he might stop.  ;D

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

We have individuals or maybe groups up here introducing wild turkeys, which is not a native bird to NB and considered illegal. Authorities are concerned they compete with grouse. One fellow down near St Stephen, near Calais, Maine says he has 20 or 30 coming to his feeders and has seen up to 12 roosting in the trees near dark.

Recently the DNR have begun a crack down on illegal white-tail deer farms, they issued notices that the deer have to be gone by June.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Autocar

Our mild weather here in Ohio this winter theres something wierd going on. In past years on late winter days when you would get a break in the weather you would see and hear robins singing. Here it's almost the end of Feb. with a very mild winter and I heard one robin. Sure hope they don't know something we don't  :D.
Bill

doctorb

I don't know.  I have yet to see or hear a robin, but the doves are all paired up.  The bluebirds never left and the juncos are still here.  I am in "bird go-figure" mode, because I have never seen a winter, or a lack of winter, like this.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

The robins have been here in NB all winter, they are just down in southern New Brunswick like Sussex and St John. They were in Fredericton in January I know. None up here since around Christmas. I won't see any until April, maybe end of March, but a big maybe.

Riggs

We had Robins here several weeks ago, but I haven't seen them lately. I'm with Autocar, I hope they don't know something we don't. ???
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

thecfarm

I just saw 2 bald eagles on the ice yesterday. Took me a few seconds to figure out what they was. I don't see many around here. Still no birds coming to the feeder for bird seeds. The wood peckers are working on the suet.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Roxie

I saw an Amazon King Fisher today, although they are not supposed to be north of Texas.  There is no mistaking the size, head crest and beak.  It was mostly gray and white, and when it flew, there were white stripes on the underside of the wings.  It was near a creek in a wooded area. 
Say when

Norm

Yesterday morning I  looked outside my kitchen window and next to the LP tank was a bird I thought was extinct in these parts....a female quail. The last one I saw was 8 years ago. Sure hope she's able to nest successfully!

Magicman

I miss hearing their "bob white" call.  I often wonder if they would reestablish if I bought and released a couple of dozen birds.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doctorb

While driving on curvy Route 1 along the California coast yesterday,  I came around one of many "blind" turns in the road and startled a Golden Eagle.  He was feeding on something right next to the pavement.  He launched upward, barely clearing my windshield.  Quite a sight!  If my window had been rolled down I could have touched his tail feathers!  What a view of a beautiful predator!

SwampDonkey

Mother says she sees golden eagles here once in awhile. Mostly along the river. I never seem to see them.

Thank You Sponsors!