iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Our ravens up here seem a lot bigger than those in Michigan and those on the west coast.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doctorb

That's nothin'!  You should see the Baltimore Ravens!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Roxie

:D :D  I have! 
Say when

miking

Just had a migrating ovenbird clank the window. I don't think he's gonna make it ...  :(
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

Jeff

I don't have a bird photo tonight, but I'm hoping to have several soon. :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Ever notice any bittern up at the camp. They like marshy areas near wet woods. They blend in with the cattails and rushes. You won't even see the until you almost touching them. Scar the begeebers out of you when you see a lump of cattails with eyes. :D

Bluejays have been busy here sacking stuff.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

miking

We're getting a few birds back. Actually, fall migration has been going on for some time, but it is far less obvious here than in spring. Notables yesterday were about 20 American widgeons which I had not seen since spring as well as hearing a sora rail, which likely was here all summer.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

Jeff

Well, my outhouse cam pointed at the highbush cranberries resulted in almost 100 video clips of berries waving in the wind, and some dude on a quad with a log arch taking off and parking every once in a while.  The last video is of me looking up at the camera in the dark last night giving it what for for taking an infrared video of me.

doctorb

Was the guy on the quad in need of some Flomax? ;D :D  Sounds like he was making some frequent trips!

What do you mean by a "long arch"?  I hope your not referring to his anatomy or his ability to pee!  I mean....it is an outhouse cam!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Jeff

doctorb

Yes, I even had my reading glasses on!  My bad!

Norm

Although not a bird this little guy was zooming around feeding on my wave petunias.

We've also had a bunch of hummingbirds moving through recently feeding on them also.

miking

Those moths are really cool. Just like the real thing.

SwampDonkey

Yes they are. Jeff took videos of some just before the 2010 Pig Roast. I never see them here.

miking

We saw one last summer feeding on petunias very much like those except there were some white ones in with the pink ones, and the moth definitely preferred the white ones. It was maybe 80/20 pink petunias and we watched him for maybe 10 minutes and he was obviously selecting the white ones almost exclusively.

red

just had a break in the rain then heard the birds so i went out and filled the feeder  not 5 min later must have been 20 bluejays 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Autocar

I haven't started feeding the birds here yet. The price of sunflower seed may hamper this years feeding till the weather reaily goes to crap. The last two years we always got 25 or more purple finches and they seem to waste more then was eaten.
Bill

Onthesauk

I drove out to Samish Island this morning to buy oysters and pickled herring for Christmas.  This is a little semi-island about 70 miles NW of Seattle.  The Samish River hits the sound a few miles from here and has a run of king and chum salmon.  There is a old farmstead nearby with a stand of big old trees and this morning I counted 17 bald eagles sitting up there and a couple out flying nearby!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Norm

That is really pretty country too. I was based out of Bothell and really enjoyed just bumming around on the weekends while out there.

The eagles are thick in our area right now. It's nothing to see several soaring overhead while out hunting. I was dressing out a deer by the house and looked up to see 2 flying right above me. I'm guessing they must have a really good sense of smell.

SwampDonkey

There was a moose shot in a field out of season this fall and gutted in the field. There was one adult and an immature eagle that hung around a couple days as well as 20+ ravens. I have not seen that before around here, so they are getting more common. We have eagles, but never see them on a carcass. Out in Prince Rupert they were as thick as seagulls and hung out at the dumps.

doctorb

Again, the indians called bald eagles "white headed crows".  Majestic as they are, their behavior tends a bit toward scavaging versus predator.  See them occasionallty at my place, and commonly in the salt marsh conservation areas of the Delmarva pennisula.  Always a thrill.

Magicman

Bald Eagles are scavengers which is why Benjamin Franklin suggested that the Wild Turkey be adopted as our National Bird.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doctorb

Are you sure he wasn't referring to the bourbon as our national drink?  My understanding is that George Washington is incorrectly named as the "father of our country".  Some history books record that Ben Franklin fathered over 20 children.  Don't tell me that Wild Turkey didn't have something to do with that!

SwampDonkey

I think there is a debate on whether Canada's national bird should be the loon or the red tailed hawk. I'm not near much water here, so I here more red tailed hawks soaring high up. But, I think I would prefer the loon as a national bird. ;D

Magicman

And then the Continental Bird could be a Loonie Bald Eagle drinking Wild Turkey.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!