iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

Having lunch break in my car and catching up on the Forestry Forum when this Egret came by for a visit. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYvXxkGKUPc

WDH

That must have been a Watch Egret bent on keeping you from trespassing  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

He also didn't want to leave the comfort of my car as I was driving off. :D
I'll post a link of video with him riding on my hood when I get home later.

Mooseherder

SwampDonkey

That must be the new model Boeing is working on. :D ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

miking

It's a cattle egret. I've seen then resting on the backs of cows, watching for bugs to get stirred up by the hooves. They are one of the few egrets to be seen reliably quite some distance away from water.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

doctorb

Unfotunately, as pretty as egret are, cattle egrets are a bit like starlings.  They are an overpopulated non-native species from the middle east ( I think).  They in no way compare to the grandeur or beauty of our two native egrets, the Snowy or the American egret, IMO.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

This sparked a little comment from me. Our native Canada geese that are very few in numbers fly north to nest, I mean way north of here. Now, about 20 years ago we had a premier in this province that took in troublesome/nuisance Canada geese from Ontario. Mostly around Toronto, if I recall. Now what we have around here are those darn blasted things nesting here in our province and now the town of Nackawic has to kill off a huge flock of the things because you know how geese can soil a place up. They have to destroy over 300 of'm and they had to get permission from the Canadian Wildlife Service with a special permit. Now just as bad, is those same line of geese feeding on crops in farmers fields. Farmers fields aren't meant to be wildlife food plots up here, that is rarely ever done up here. Don't mess with mother nature.  >:(

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

Quote from: SwampDonkey on July 01, 2011, 04:09:54 PM
Farmers fields aren't meant to be wildlife food plots up here

I wish our DNR understood that. We get the pleasure of feeding them so they can sell licenses to make money, same with whitetail deer.

miking

Quote from: doctorb on July 01, 2011, 12:06:49 PM
Unfotunately, as pretty as egret are, cattle egrets are a bit like starlings.  They are an overpopulated non-native species from the middle east ( I think).  They in no way compare to the grandeur or beauty of our two native egrets, the Snowy or the American egret, IMO.

I have some literature that says they are native to Africa, were brought to South America and got here on their own. I didn't see them here until a couple summers ago and have seen them more and more, which is never a good sign with exotics.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

doctorb

They have been here for as long as I remember being interested in birds.  I never see any other egret a distance from water.  Makes them seem out of place to me.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

miking

They also seem to flock more tightly than other egrets and herons

miking

Saw and heard a black-billed cuckoo today. First one in a long time. The yellow ones are far more common here.

Mooseherder

There is a spot on the Indian River in Sebastian I go to once in a while to eat my lunch.
As I was pulling in today, there was a Snakebird aka Anhinga that just speared a fish and was trying to position it for swallowing.  The video isn't the greatest because I was hurrying and still rolling into the scene but if you can look at it in full screen it's okay. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RBaATMaH6s

miking

Always wanted to see an anhinga but so far I haven't. There was a report of one about 40 miles north earlier this year from me though but there are a lot of cormorants around too, and they are pretty similar at a distance even with a scope. Today I saw a green heron and a kingfisher, but the highlight was 5 otters which I had not seen in the wild before.

SwampDonkey

The otters are more common here, but always seen them in the main river. They have been coming up the creeks by home off and on after the beaver and fish. Since they will kill the beaver, they are welcome to it. I've tracked them on the snow to beaver lodges in winter. They go under the ice in the creeks, most don't freeze up shore to shore like they did years ago. Well, I suppose there was always open spots, but these last few winters you wouldn't catch me walking on creek ice.

That being said, I've been seeing a lot of grouse this season with young. The hens whimper like a dog to distract you from the chicks. They are about quail sized now and can sure fly. Most places I'm in it's too thick to see much, all you hear are the chicks taking off in flight one at a time. Crazy darn timber chickens. :D

miking

They did a big release of the otters in the late 90's here and I have heard they have done well. Too well, according to some as they have munched fish out of a few local farm ponds I've heard. I was with a IDNR biologist at the time and they were the first she'd seen as well, so apparently they aren't as common as some would have you believe around here.  :)

SwampDonkey

The biggest complaint here the neighbor had was with the blue herons. There was one around his ponds all the time as we have a lot of herons around.

Today I saw a couple old ravens beside the road. These are a larger bird than the common crow, sitting side by side the raven is a huge bird and sounds a lot different. They have a scruffier face, because the feathers aren't slicked back like a crow, and thicker beak. They are smart buggers to. They are always present it seems when your in the bush and you can here them calling for a long way off.

chain

Quote from: SwampDonkey on July 14, 2011, 03:02:00 AM
The otters are more common here, but always seen them in the main river. They have been coming up the creeks by home off and on after the beaver and fish. Since they will kill the beaver, they are welcome to it. I've tracked them on the snow to beaver lodges in winter. They go under the ice in the creeks, most don't freeze up shore to shore like they did years ago. Well, I suppose there was always open spots, but these last few winters you wouldn't catch me walking on creek ice.

That being said, I've been seeing a lot of grouse this season with young. The hens whimper like a dog to distract you from the chicks. They are about quail sized now and can sure fly. Most places I'm in it's too thick to see much, all you hear are the chicks taking off in flight one at a time. Crazy darn timber chickens. :D

Around here, the otter-beaver seem to co-exist quite well. I put my own quota on the beaver and otter @six each per trapping season. The beaver soon got out of hand, the otter held their own but the last year I trapped caught 12 beaver and six otter out of a 25acre pond area. The otter like to stay in beaver lodges in winter but this one lodge had about six beaver residing in it. There was some otter scat up top of the lodge. Some beaver stay in dens along a steep bank and are very cautious. The otter move out about the first good warm-up in spring and go fishing for yum-yummy crayfish, but I can see a large otter killing a baby beaver for sure!

SwampDonkey

Yesterday I saw an osprey on the river, he caught a fish. Two eagles, one was a juvenile, both harassed the pour osprey until he had to drop his fish to get air speed from those darn things. I know it's nature, but if eagles are suppose to be such great fishers, then fish on their own. I used to see it on the river during salmon season to. An eagle is just a glorified crow with white head and tail.  :-X >:(

chain

Quote from: SwampDonkey on July 15, 2011, 04:34:55 PM
Yesterday I saw an osprey on the river, he caught a fish. Two eagles, one was a juvenile, both harassed the pour osprey until he had to drop his fish to get air speed from those darn things. I know it's nature, but if eagles are suppose to be such great fishers, then fish on their own. I used to see it on the river during salmon season to. An eagle is just a glorified crow with white head and tail.  :-X >:(

I've always heard Nebraska eagles were..uh..different. But our Missouri eagles, how proud, how strong, and swift of wing they are, always guarding our National Treasures.

You can have all the red-tails and buzzards, don't send them south in the fall! ;)

SwampDonkey

NB is not the abbreviation for Nebraska. ;) But, in the mean time if a national emblem is a scavenger, so be it. ;D

chain

My most sincere apologies! Joke's on me. Funny, but now I think I remember Ne. Nebraska? :)

DouginUtah

When the male can't stand it any longer...

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

sandhills

Ya, but in this household it'd probably be the other way around  ;).  Can't say I blame her though.

Thank You Sponsors!