iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Now you should take a handful of earthworms out and see if you can get them to eat out of your hand.....  ::) ::)

:) :)

Great vid, and close-ups too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

Anyone notice the Mahogany Trees? ;)

Ron Scott

~Ron

WDH

They are aerating your lawn  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

If they run out of earthworms send them up here. Thousands come out in the rains.

I can't see the video, but I can imagine they are having a good time.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

This little guy was insistent on wanting in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1xHGqW6yKE

doctorb

Male orioles are famous for this behavior.  We had one do the same thing a few years ago.  Woke up my kids every morning for a week.

Some think that they see their reflection in the window and are being territorial.  To stop it, tape a piece of paper on the inside of the window.  It cuts down on the reflection from the outside and they go elsewhere.  One beautiful bird.  Thanks for that great video.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Ron Scott

Ditto! on the great video of a favorite bird.
~Ron

treefarmer87

pretty bird, never seen one in person, just pics :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

doctorb

Just take in a baseball game at Camden Yards, you'll see a whole bunch of them. ;)
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

miking

Had an odd sighting yesterday, two birds practically in the same binocular view that I had no idea of. My field guide bailed me out though, and I saw a pair of orchard orioles with the female confusing me and a female bobolink, which is nothing like the male. The bobo looked very streaky like a yellowish sparrow but I asked the landowner on a whim if there had been any around before and he said there had in previous years, so I had a good clue and then found it in the field guide The oriole looked like a large vireo but after seeing the male myself later I put two and two together and made the call. The thing is, I had good long looks at both and despite birding for many years, these two really had me scratching my head!  :D
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

doctorb

I, too, have racked my brain over an orchard oriole, both male and female.  It was the shape of the bird that finally gave it away, and I remember paging through Petersen until the match came to me.

SwampDonkey

Yes, the bobolink nest in the tall grass. They have one song phrase that everyone calls R2D2. ;D I've gone to a few sights looking for the song, but I can't find it like they sound up here. They are close, but seem more broken. I guess that there is a regional bird dialect like there would be with us. ;)

If you search youtube there is a "song of the bobolink" video. I think it has already been posted in this thread a couple pages back.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

miking

They have those Peterson cd's with the songs and calls on them and I like them a lot. My wife has a phone ap from Pete that has some too, but it's not real comprehensive. That bobo could well have been nesting in the grass as she did fly down there after I saw her on a limb. Neither bird called that I know of but the male oriole did after I saw him later. There were some yellowthroats down there as well.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

SwampDonkey

When you hear a boblink you'll not confuse it for any other bird. You'll think it short circuited. :D

SwampDonkey

You know a man should always carry a camera in car. I was eating lunch today in the car on a narrow plantation road and watching the spruce grouse come out on the edge of the trees by the road and pick around looking for bugs I assume, no berries yet. The softwood forests up here are full of those things. This looked to be a male with the red eye brows. I also thought I heard some vocals as well when I was crawling through the bushes. However, no camera for the grouse.  I doubt you could get a good photo of him in the shadows because they blend in so well. ;)

SwampDonkey

Today I was running a safety trail down through an old plantation to the block I was marking yesterday and low and behold I walk upon a spruce hen and 6 brown eggs in the nest. I practically stepped on her and she just walked about 5 feet away and sat still. I moved onward without disturbing her further. This was about 400 meters away from the male spruce grouse yesterday. They seem to like the older plantations and older softwood thinnings. The nest was under a 5 foot black spruce in a little opening where there was a spring.

sandhills

I did the same thing with a hen pheasant yesterday while I was fixing fence, didn't see the nest but she wouldn't go far so there had to be one right there.

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D If you want to see humming birds in your face, just wear a red hard hat and a florescent yellow rain suit. I had to wave my arms at 3 of them buzzards the last couple of days. :D :D Plus I wear a set of screened goggles and half expect a beak with probing tong to enter. :D

miking

Saw my first summer tanager of the year today and had numerous looks at yellowbreasted chat, common yellowthroat, indigo buntings, and brief looks at a solitary vireo and a magnolia warbler.

Onthesauk

We've had an odd sequence of birds arriving this year, probably because of the late wet spring.  Gold finches already but no tanagers yet.  Varied thrushes much later then normal here.

But have a couple of baby robins just out our porch getting fed today for the first time.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

chain

Could the END be near? So far, twice this spring, a turkey vulture comes to sit around our farmstead! A month ago a vulture lit in one of our dead catalpa trees.....the trees have grown here for at least eighty years, suppose the drouth killed them last summer and vultures were never seen in this part of  Missouri until the last two years. :o

But this morning, a vulture was perched upon top of our big barn. Some of the tin hs been torn off from the winds this spring and thought maybe the old buzzard was looking for a nesting or roosting site. Positive thinking..at its best!

SwampDonkey

Turkey vultures aren't native up here neither but I've already seen 2 this spring. They are new arrivals to this region and were not seen 6 years ago. I don't know how they compete with the crows and ravens. They are our native scavengers, as well as the eagles.

I'm surprised I have not seen Phoebes yet. I do see a few barn swallows more often so they once again growing in population. There used to be hundreds and the hydro wires would be lined with them on migrations coming and going.

There are so many different warblers in the woods I can't even begin to identify them. Most you can't even see, just here. Like being in a bird zoo. I saw quite bunch of northern parulas in the maples and birches in the yard last week. They seemed to be around the flowers, I suspect where the bugs were after nectar. Noisy little birds.

chain

No doubt the Mississippi river flooding has altered some migration patterns of birds. I've stood in years past in the timbered river bottoms and witnessed hundreds if not thousands of migrating warblers of mixed species, along with several others only stopping briefly to rest to grab a insect, and move on. But this year many warblers have yet to appear and suspect they altered their routes somewhat as some flood waters were at least sixteen feet over the bottoms, covering many small trees and shrubs. This flood devastating to turkeys and deer.

miking

Can be several reasons for low warbler numbers, not the least of which is habitat loss for both breeding and overwintering birds.

Thank You Sponsors!