iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Saw a Brown-Headed Cow Bird this morning trying to make up it's mind "which bird house to lay it's egg in"!

I hate Brown-Headed Cow Birds.  Too lazy to raise their own "kids"!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

miking

Got a fleeting glimpse of what I *think* was a hermit thrush the other day but there are still juncos around. It's been a tentative spring here for sure. Did see my second ever red shouldered hawk the other day which was exciting.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

Onthesauk

Yesterday, April 2nd, here in the NW, had our first hummingbird show at the feeder.  A little female was first this year.  Usually a big male arrives every year but over five years old now and I think and maybe old age got him.  And we even had heavy snow for an hour to welcome them.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

clww

We have this wreath we hang on the front door after we take down the Christmas wreath. 2009 and 2010, we had finches nest in it. When they start, I take it down and put in in the corner on a 2X4 with a 2 foot piece of plywood and zip tie it in place so it doesn't fall off. This year, 2 hours after I swapped it out, there's a pair of doves building a nest. I moved it to the corner the next day. She sat on the nest from March 4th until the 25th when her two eggs hatched. The last 3 days, she leaving the nest for a bit several times a day and returns at night. I'm guessing they will all fly away by next Sunday. I named her "Miss Beasley" after the Bush's Scottie in The White House.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

SwampDonkey

We have been seeing geese and ducks here now. The lower head pond of the Saint John is still iced over, but the mouth of smaller rivers and brooks that feed into it are open. Our little river nearby , the Presque Isle, has been ice free for a couple weeks.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Faron

As I was driving home the other day, a big red tailed hawk swooped under a tree overhanging the road.  He made an attack on an English sparrow flying around and missed.  He wheeled in midair and spun to his left, and grabbed another bird in flight.  I have seen red tails catch lots of mice and a few rabbits, but this was the first time I saw one grab a bird in flight.  I've seen smaller Cooper's hawks catch birds, but not the big red tailed hawks.  He sure seemed to know how it was done.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

chain

Quote from: Faron on April 04, 2011, 07:28:49 AM
As I was driving home the other day, a big red tailed hawk swooped under a tree overhanging the road.  He made an attack on an English sparrow flying around and missed.  He wheeled in midair and spun to his left, and grabbed another bird in flight.  I have seen red tails catch lots of mice and a few rabbits, but this was the first time I saw one grab a bird in flight.  I've seen smaller Cooper's hawks catch birds, but not the big red tailed hawks.  He sure seemed to know how it was done.

But what is strange, a red-tail will allow a couple of crows to dive bomb and harrass him all the way across a 1/2 mile field! Years ago when crow season was open throughout the year, we would set-up a electronic caller, usually on a pine ridge-top in a remote area. We had a tape called 'Battle cry' mimicking a fight between crows and a owl. We would add our own touch by blowing a red-tail hawk caller. In a minute or two after truning the caller on, down the crows would come through the pines looking for a fight! Weaving and darting this way and that and within 15' of the ground, this made for quick exciting action. After the initial attack, we would pull up and move over 3or 4 miles for further combat!

I've seen migrating red-tails come down in a soybean field that we were harvesting and kill every rabbit. After nine or ten kills I got sick of it and tried to run over a hawk with the combine, the old hawk just grabbed his prey in one talon and skipped across the rows out of the way.

Chuck White

We haven't seen any humming birds yet, they usually arrive around the end of the first week of May!

The Brown Thrashers will arrive about the same time!

After that, we just wait for the Tree Swallows and later, the Barn Swallows!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

doctorb

I think the number one bird attacking hawk around here is the Sharp-Shinned.  People with bird feeders often see sharpies sitting on a nearby perch, only to have some bird disappear off the feeder in a swoosh.  I agree, I have never witnessed a red-tailed hawk take a bird before.  Unusual.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

chain

A few winters past, some friends and I were having coffee and sitting inside the coffee shop by a glassed atrium for added warmth, for we had a large snowstorm and frigid weather for a week. Suddenly a hawk flew down and lit outside the atrium and ran a few steps into a clump of monkey grass about three feet high. Soon, the hawk reappeared just next to the windows and I could clearly see not one, but two bands on his legs. One band was the regular aluminum type, the other band appeared to be a blue plastic; I could read a partial number off the blue band, '07' is all I can remember now.

The hawk stayed around for a couple of days and was quite an entertainer for others to enjoy. I informed our local conservation agent but after calling around the State, the only hawks that were under a hawk-banding program was the peregrine falcon and were only banded with aluminum bands.

Magicman

And when he grabs something, he will stand his ground.  I am within 5 feet of this guy with a pocket camera.

He probably had a mouse, but his eyes said "go away".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

miking

Our duck migration is just about over. There are still some shovelers and blue-wing teal here, but before long we'll only have the resident mallards and wood ducks about. Duck migration just happens too fast!
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

chain

Quote from: miking on April 04, 2011, 10:26:50 PM
Our duck migration is just about over. There are still some shovelers and blue-wing teal here, but before long we'll only have the resident mallards and wood ducks about. Duck migration just happens too fast!

Missouri Audubon Society is reporting a first-ever nesting record of a pair of, "Black-Bellied Whistling Ducks" in Lafayette county, Mo. last year. This species is native to Central and South America; however, is also being reported in Arkansas, Louisiana, Kansas, and is under review in Illinois.

The ducks took up housekeeping in a woodduck nesting box.

miking

I have head before that they were moving north but not for a while so thanks for the update. I hope to make a trip to south Texas this fall and hopefully see some there as I have never seen one. I did see tons of shovelers yesterday and a decent number of blue wing teal so there are still some ducks around as well as a bazillion coots. South of Havana the ditches along the highway are still flooded and the ducks and coots (aka mudhen, moorhen, water chicken) are in them and it's funny to see the coots picking in the grass right next to the asphalt and yes, some do get clobbered by traffic from time to time but no ducks and it makes me wonder if the ducks ever say 'Why did the water chicken cross the road?'  ::)

Burlkraft

The migration was early here too.

We had big numbers of teal and woodies.

It's about over here too, but it was a good one.

I can remember when woodies were scarce and I had only seen a couple of canvas backs in 10 years.

Plenty of each were around this year  8) 8)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

clww

I was working on an oak tree project today in a customer's back yard. I was 75 feet up, so a great view of all the surrounding back yards. I watched a pair of mallards fly by and go into a yard about 3 yards over. The female flew up from the ground into a tree and perched on a limb. They were quaking at each other the whole time. She stayed up there for about 5 minutes before she rejoined the drake back on the ground.
I read somewhere a few days ago about someone else seeing a duck in a tree. A first for me, minus wood ducks nesting.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

SwampDonkey

I walked out the front door, and a yard full of robins is normal for spring time. I look under the front yard spruce and notice a kestrel dragging on something I assume was a bird it caught. I never got a good look at it's prey but the yard also has blackbirds of 5 kinds and chickadees, so it could be any of'm. Glad to see my first kestrel of the year was able to find his dinner. ;D

The robins are thick this year, I mean a lot.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

A baby Sandhill Crane and the Parents have been hanging out.

Momma feeding the baby some worms. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtVuN8Xn0Kg

SwampDonkey

Getting an early start.  ;D Nice.

Norm

You could rent those guys out for lawn aeration.  :D

The little guy is sure cute, never seen pictures like this before. Thanks!

WDH

I wonder how they work on carpenter bees  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

Or Termites?
If a Bird is breed to eat Fireants sign me up for a couple. ::)

SwampDonkey

Well, if the birds won't get'n, freeze the buggers. Go north. ;) :D

Feels like I need a fire right now. brrr. :D

Ron Scott

Klamath National Forest listed as one of nation's premier bird watching sites

A recent article in the U.S. National Forest Campground Guide has listed Klamath NF as one of the nation's premier places for bird watching. The Klamath-Siskiyou bioregion is noted for having a diversity of geology and vegetation.  The area overlaps the Cascade, Sierra Nevada and coast ranges with plant communities representing each of these zones.  In celebration of International Migratory Bird Day, the forest will sponsor a bird watching field trip Saturday, May 7, at the Shasta Valley Wildlife Area.  Local biologist and bird experts will lead the trip, which is open to the public.

The Chief's Newletter
~Ron

miking

Saw a pair of peregrine falcons yesterday over downtown Peoria. They have been regular visitors in recent years hanging around the taller buildings and bridges where they seem to make a good living eating pigeons, and about 5 years ago some tenant put up a nest box which has not been used yet. Anyway, yesterday I saw them flying seemingly in unison as in some kind of courtship flight, so maybe this is the year we'll get some nesting? That'd be cool!

Thank You Sponsors!