iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roxie

They are Purple Martins and they're a lot prettier (and a lot less messy) than bats.  They really don't compete for the same insects that a bat will eat (such as mosquito's) because they are daylight hunters. 

Say when

Jeff

I just smiles at something that I love to hear.  :)

Every morning and evening I get to smile at something fairly unique to the north.  Our house is right under the flyway for loons going from their nesting lake to a feeding lake, and they announce their trip to us each time they go over head.   
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Chuck White

We just put up a new board & post fence along the South side of our yard.

I made some new birdhouses (for tree swallows & bluebirds) and mounted one on every third post in the line.

Ten birdhouses in all on the fence.  Then we put some around other places in the yard.

The new fence is along a flowing ditch and on the other side of the ditch is my brothers hay fields (80 acres), so, lots of bugs.

We can sit outside most nights and not be bothered with bugs.

Yesterday I timed a mom & dad Tree Swallow, and they would come in to feed the little ones every 3-4 minutes, all day long.

Makes one wonder just how many bugs they catch in a days time.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

Roxie we don't get many martins here. If you put a nest box up the tree swallows will take over and drive anything else off. We've tried here for 30 years.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

We don't hear loons handy to where I live. Our county only has one lake of significant size on the map, Williamstown Lake 10 miles to the south, the rest are ponds. It's about 5 miles long and 2 miles wide. Three or 4 small lakes are on the county line, with York County.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

The family of Tree Swallows that had been using the birdhouse on the back porch flew away early yesterday or late the day before.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

Shoulda had the camera today. Was driving into work on a good grouse road and found a hen in the road in a particular spot. Returned home and saw the babies and just down the road a small step was daddy grouse with his neck hackles all out and his tail all fanned out. The grouse are not so "wild" out there and they don't fly, but run like turkeys when spooked.

chain

For the past month we've have a pair of adult Bald Eagles fishing in our lake. They sit in an old snag, waiting on a fish to surface then sail down and catch the fish, either they go off to their nest as they did earlier this month or they alight back up on the snag and begin eating. This last week they seem to sit at the lake feeding and loitering more each day. We're beginning to worry that their flegling didn't make it or, hopfully, just havn't left the nest just yet.

One of the eagles is much larger than its mate, both have white heads. I'm thinking my book says females are larger. They do not fear a tractor as I've  driven by their snag within 30 yds or so. But p/u trucks or ATVs or walking...they're outta there!

jeffreythree

Finally got around to putting up bird feeders at the house.  Put it where my wife can watch it from bed as she is on bed rest for 4 more weeks.  Seen house finches, house sparrows, mourning and inca doves, and some hummingbirds I have not identified yet at their feeder.  We have a bumper crop of grasshoppers this year and it has been fun watching the mockingbirds hunt them in the grass, hopping around with their wings half spread to spook the grasshoppers out of their hiding spots.
Trying to get out of DFW, the land of the $30,000 millionaires.  Look it up.

Chuck White

We've started getting visits to our feeder box by the Evening Grossbeaks.

Haven't seen many of those around here in a long time.  Used to be here by the dozens, 50-60 at a time.

Good to see them back.

Mooseherder

We've had a couple Hawks here all day preying on smaller birds.
They have been making a lot of noise.  I went out earlier with a dead camera battery and missed some good footage of a smaller bird antagonizing a Hawk.  Finally went back out a couple hours later as they were still yacking.  It was over a hundred degrees earlier today with the heat index. ::)
I'm not sure what kind of Hawk it is but am leaning towards a Sharp-Shinned or a Cooper's Hawk. 
The video starts off with it in a tree, then flys to another tree, then onto our grass and back on a tree branch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRosX7F9iDI

highlandeye

Hi, just thought I would share this with you all - last spring my wife and I were traveling North up the Strath river road , a narrow winding road even by Scotish standards , . There are places along this road - used for passing - where it widens for a short distance , anyway , I was towing along trailer behind the Landrover full of old Elm , it was heavy and slow progress was being made , my concentration was on the road , when , just to our left flying very low and slow ,my wife spotted what she thought was an Osprey . I pulled into the next passing place which fortunatly was very close to the river , we both got out and stood right up to the Landrover and never moved . Sure enough the magnificent Osprey was totaly concentrating on the river and his dinner (Osprey are fish eating large birds of prey)  He slowly , very slowly followed the river with eyes only for fish, which brought him closer and closer to us - when I could see every feather , when I could almost see my own reflection in his eye, he closed both wings and fell with total control down into the river where he dissapeard in an almighty turmoil of water , seconds later he emerged , strugling , realy strugling to lift out of the water with a huge Brown Trout in his tallons.We were both transfixed by this very awesome sight.  He climed with dificulty to around 40 ft. and then did the clasic thing - he turned the still strugling trout , in his tallons to reduce the wind drag , and flew of into the far woods .I have read about them doing this but to see it so close - We were privelaged indeed .  As for my camra which I always carry , it was safely locked in the boot.

SwampDonkey

Mooseherder

We had a visit from a couple Sandhill Cranes this past weekend.
They came in close.  Someone in the neighborhood is probably feeding them.

SwampDonkey

According to the Newsletter in previous post they found a nesting pair of sandhills in Chipman, NB. First time a pair have ever been found nesting here since record keeping of breeding birds have been kept.

Mooseherder

Someone we know has reported seeing them in Northern Maine this year.

SwampDonkey

Moose, apparently they have been in Maine and Northern New England for some time now. That's what the newsletter said anyway.

Onthesauk

We've had a barred owl hanging around the house the last couple of weeks, I see him every day or two.  This morning my wife spotted him on the ground, on a grassy spot up behind the house, had a mouse I think.  Then back up into a maple to watch the lawn again.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

nas

Had a Kingfisher land on the kids trampoline.  We have one with the safety net around it.  The bird tried to take off toward the inside of the trampoline and hit the net on the other side.  It then panicked and dropped the 2" sunfish it had in its beak, leaving it on the trampoline.  I wonder what we would have thought of the fish if we had not seen the bird ??? ??? :D

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Magicman

I'm having Hummers showing up.  I guess that they are this year's hatchlings.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: nas on July 27, 2010, 10:38:07 AM
Had a Kingfisher land on the kids trampoline.  We have one with the safety net around it.  The bird tried to take off toward the inside of the trampoline and hit the net on the other side.  It then panicked and dropped the 2" sunfish it had in its beak, leaving it on the trampoline.  I wonder what we would have thought of the fish if we had not seen the bird ??? ??? :D

Nick
Good there's no size limit on those you'd have trouble with that explanation.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Ron Scott

The Great Egret, takes off from the State owned marsh lands of Proud Lake in  southeastern Lower Michigan.This white heron holds its neck in a more open "S" than do other white herons.

This photo shows the ecosystem transition from the lake, to its adjoining marshland, to the adjoining lowland riparian area, to the white and red oak, cottonwood, and aspen woodlands on the adjoing higher ground.

~Ron

chain

Warblers of all types moving through now. Just here in my yard and farm I've i.D'd the Swainson's, Yellow-throated, Eastern Yellow, Black & White Warblers; not confirmed yet but fairly confident were the Orange-crowned, and Kentucky Warblers.

chain

Warblers Part II..they left! 

Noticed one day last week all birds were excited as flying back and forth along the hedge row, some warblers chasing each other, lots of chirping and carrying on,  we even had at least a hundred collared doves shading in the cypress but sometime that very evening, they all cleared out to parts south!

The experts say warblers and other species mostly migrate at night especially if there's a northerly breeze to help them along. Hedge rows are favorites to rest and  roost; they know hedge rows have cover, insects, and other foods.

Most of these brushy old fence lines that were allowed to grow up, the plants were seeded likely from bird droppings. We have autumn olive, honeysuckle, privet, mulberry, sugarberry, sumac, possum grape, poison ivy, roughed-leafed dogwood, some grass, and Virginia pine that I planted, and actually idenified a pine warbler bugging in it last week!   

SwampDonkey

Well, I knew it wouldn't be long before I seen this scene. As sure is there will be another winter. ;D

Ruffed grouse feeding on overwintering white birch male pollen catkins.  Nice plump bird to. :)

Thank You Sponsors!