iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Yeah, I like the song of the white-throated sparrow. They've been here for a couple weeks now. It's one of those birds folks record a lot on those easy listening tapes along with the loon. Usually hear a fellow canoeing along a lake in the foreground.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

Quote from: beenthere on April 25, 2009, 09:35:45 PM
Today was a first for me (maybe because I've not been paying attention  ;D ), and I had a flock of from 25-75 white throated sparrows in the yard. I noticed their high numbers at first, and then noticed the white top head stripe, alternating on the sides with black, then the white throat.  Not a sparrow fan, but these were more likable than the ordinary barn sparrows.

I believe this bird is a Crowned Sparrow. 
We have lots of them here throughout the summer, but they haven't arrived yet.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Lanier_Lurker

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 25, 2009, 10:46:28 AM
I have not seen my brown thrashers yet. I'm am right on the edge of the range. I had a pair last year for the first time that I ever knew of.

What is the state bird of Georgia doing way up there? 

SwampDonkey

Eat'n bugs. ;D

White crowned sparrow doesn't have yellow eyebrows.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

As I understand, the crowned also doesn't have the white throat.
But suspect there are variations of each.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

About the brown thrasher, it says in my book it's rare up here and sometimes seen in Newfoundland. The map shows it here in western NB during the breeding season.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: beenthere on April 26, 2009, 12:27:23 PM
As I understand, the crowned also doesn't have the white throat.
But suspect there are variations of each.

Yeah, my book shows a light gray throat on the white crowned sparrow.

Chuck White

Yup, you're right, Pictured is the White Throated Sparrow!

The Crowned Sparrow doesn't have the yellow.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

I saw a couple brown thrashers today. One in my back yard and another 5 miles away in a neighbors back yard. They sound kinda like a weird robin, but out of key. :D

Chuck White

I saw a pair of Brown Thrashers in our back yard yesterday.

I also saw some Barn Swallows and a couple of Ruby Throated Humming Birds yesterday.

Ron Scott

Winter Pheasant. Saw this bird last December on my way out hunting during the deer muzzel loading season.

~Ron

SwampDonkey

We have a lot of pheasant along the river valley, once in a great while (quite rare) I see one near the house. Down to dad's they run all through town like chickens. No lie. They love peas and strawberries.  :D

Mooseherder

A Downy WoodPecker took up a Quaking Aspen behind our Camp as residence.  She had a few holes in it with a few Babies crying for food most of the day.  The holes were a little too high to view the babies but you sure could hear them.  Mama was working hard.

Mooseherder

This Eagle picture was taken by our Cousin Mike who was up visiting with us.

Hilltop366

Nice shot of the eagle!

Been getting this hawk hunting around the yard lately managed to get a couple of pic of it, it might be hard to see but it has a small rodent in its beak. I'm thinking it's a northern harrier aka marsh hawk ?

lots of pheasants around here I got some video clips of them fighting in my front yard I'll have to find it and put it on youtube so it can be seen.

Lanier_Lurker

Quote from: Mooseherder on July 19, 2009, 05:00:07 PM
A Downy WoodPecker took up a Quaking Aspen behind our Camp as residence.  She had a few holes in it with a few Babies crying for food most of the day.  The holes were a little too high to view the babies but you sure could hear them.  Mama was working hard.

The size of the beak in relation to the head and the more forward position of the red patch makes me think this may be a hairy instead of a downy.  I see them occasionally on my suet block here, but I have mostly downy and red bellied.

Nice picture.

EDIT:

I went back and checked my field guide, and I am wrong.  That is a female yellow-bellied sapsucker.

SwampDonkey

There's been a hawk harassing the robins here to in the yard. They sure put up a big fuss. Went out one evening just before dark and the hawk flew off my lead in wire to the house, things quieted down.

Lanier_Lurker

Unfortunately I have no pictures, but it has been an interesting year so far observing the activity on my suet block.  Once I figured out that I had to take it down every night to keep a stupid coon from getting it I have been much less frustrated.  All efforts to defeat him ultimately failed.  But, I have it rigged where it is easy to put up and take down so no worries.

Anyway, here is the list of what I have seen on it this year:

The Usual Suspects feeding on suet
--------------------------------------
downy woodpecker
hairy woodpecker
red bellied woodpecker
tufted titmouse
white breasted nuthatch
Carolina chickadee (they nested in my bluebird house)
unknown vireo

The UN-Usual Suspects feeding on suet
------------------------------------------
blue jay
Carolina wren
cardinal
cowbird (I think)

The blue jays and the cardinals are funny to watch when feeding on suet.  My suet block is hanging from a dogwood limb so the only way they can get to it is to land directly on it.  Blue jays and cardinals are not creepers and climbers like the other birds, so they struggle a bit.  I know they would get frustrated watching the almost constant stream of downy woodpeckers coming in and eating very efficiently.  Finally the cardinals figured out they could land on top of the suet cage and just reach  over the side and get it, but their short beaks make it difficult if there is not a full size suet cake inside.  The blue jays would mostly fly up from underneath and hover long enough to jam their large bills into the cake and either get a chunk or knock a chunk off down onto the deck where they would then go get it.

The most amazing thing I saw was a mother cardinal with her two juvenile young.  She parked them on a nearby limb where they waited, and for 5 minutes she would fly over to the suet, grab a chunk, then take it over and give it to one of them.  That was when I needed a video camera.

SwampDonkey

Blue jays, like crows are pretty smart at figuring a way. When we used to feed birds here the blue jays were as thick as flies. I still have a lot of them and several hung out around the house all summer. This time of year I hear nuthatches all through the woods. Always a chickadee around. There are whisky jacks to, but usually around camp sites. They are like pack rats.

Bibbyman

I was out loading a load of firewood awhile ago and spotted a bald eagle soaring high in the bright blue sky.  He was heading south.  This is as early in the season as I can ever remember seeing them around here.  I guess he came in with the cold snap.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

I saw one today out over the river. They stay here all year. Scavenging buzzards.  ;D

Onthesauk

Out on the river fishing yesterday and had three of them go over about 100 feet up, rolling, chasing and fake fighting.  Bright, cold, sunny day and think they were just out playing.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Bibbyman

Quote from: Bibbyman on January 31, 2009, 10:07:02 AM

I looked out our living room window this morning to see a bald eagle and two crows setting in a walnut tree about 50 yards from the house and about eye level.  I got out my camera and snapped a few pictures.  When I zoomed in,  I could no longer see the bird in the view screen so I got the picture off center.

Brooke got a better quality 8mp camera for Christmas but it was set on video mode and by the time I got it back on picture mode,  the eagle flew off.

He's BACK!

Big ole eagle came and landed in the same walnut tree just outside our front yard. Set there for half an hour and then took off to run some hawk off. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

HOOF-ER

Saw one out on the edge of the strip pits. He looked like he was interested in a road kill coon. Amazing to see them in places I have never before.
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

SwampDonkey

Turkey vultures are becoming familiar here as they seem to be moving north. Never here in NB before to anyone's knowledge.

Thank You Sponsors!