iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigman

Around these parts most people shoot turkeys with a shotgun. I see you caught that one with a foot snare.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Burlkraft

Quote from: pigman on April 16, 2009, 05:20:25 PM
Around these parts most people shoot turkeys with a shotgun. I see you caught that one with a foot snare.

:D :D :D :D :D

I shot a tom out of a group of 6 once and 2 of the others attacked him when he hit the ground  :o  :o  :o
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Burlkraft

Quote from: beenthere on April 16, 2009, 05:07:03 PM
Caught one not looking today.  8)

Nice bird at 20#

While it hung in the tree, three other Tom's came up to check it out. One wouldn't let go of the neck, I imagine trying to get it down out of the tree.

Ten inch beard and 1" spurs,

Nice bird Kent  8)  8)  8)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

beenthere

Quote from: pigman on April 16, 2009, 05:20:25 PM

:D :D :D
Quieter that way.. :) :)
Actually was with .410 double barrel with one #4 shot
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

The state of Maine is introducing them into Aroostook county, which is in NE Maine and next to where I live. There is lots of Red Oak on Mars Hill. I might have wild turkey in my freezer yard some day.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

I managed to download a short video onto YouTube of the Tom turkey attack (hope that doesn't put my name on the HSA list).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMIRg_8FGA

Didn't realize uploading to YouTube was so easy.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Radar67

BT, how did you get this bird in, call, decoy? Want to hear how you do it up north.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

beenthere

This one was a surprise. I was out to set up a blind. Had the .410 double, a camo cloth and some stakes, and a decoy.

Just had set the stuff on the ground, gun against the tree, and clearing some brush to put up the camo. Getting ready to go out there the first thing this morning.
As I broke some brush, I saw two Tom's coming out of the woods and they almost raced to me, and I just had time to drop two #4's in the double, aim and wait a few seconds for one to get within 20 yards. Bam! All done.

Never had a chance to make a call, or to sit still for an hour or three, or to fall asleep waiting for some action. I was back home in less than 25 minutes.

Sorry, can't come up with a good "called-em-in" or "he-tried-to-jump-my-decoy" story this time.

8)
south central Wisconsin

Radar67

Blind luck makes just as good a story as any.  ;) ;D ;D ;D Nice looking bird.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

Sure wish I had a video camera today to show ya the action. I was sitting along side a road talking to a couple folks that were on their way to Montreal in an 18 wheeler. There was a morning dove being chased by a little Kestrel hawk. She had the dove by the tail so to speak. Feathers where flying. Wasn't one bit scared of us and they both nearly got run over as the truck was rolling along slow before he stopped. The hawk unhooked and went up into a tree, then as the truck rolled off again the dove emerged and flew off. One lucky dove.  ;D :D

Oh, and seen a turkey vulture, not far from home, sitting at the mouth of a drive way. Them things were never here when I was a kid. I'll take a raven over them ugly things. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Onthesauk

The turkey vultures are moving farther north every year.  Not sure if it's because there are more of them or adjusting to climate changes.  Ugly up close, pretty when they soar.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

beenthere

Caught this wild thing on camera, and he shows up near every day now. Maybe lookin for his buddy.  ::) ::)

Near the end you can see the "shakes" that he gets, which also makes a pretty audible hum. I could try to translate that a little better, but won't here.  ;D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmKPVrRj6yo&feature=channel_page

Another clip at the same routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDfXWYgZfmw&feature=channel_page
south central Wisconsin

Roxie

Wow.  I've never seen a wild turkey that got that big. 
Say when

ADAMINMO

Looks like good table fare to me!!! digin_2 food2 musteat_1

Jeff

Quote from: Roxie on April 24, 2009, 01:14:09 PM
Wow.  I've never seen a wild turkey that got that big. 

Them would be babies here. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Looks like the Wreath is going to stay up for a while longer again this year.  :)

Lanier_Lurker

Eastern bluebirds?

Jeff

Michigan State Bird.  :)

Texas Ranger

These are just as tasty, they just don't go as far.

smiley_turkey_dancing smiley_turkey_dancing
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

Veery, robins and wood thrush have blue eggs to.  8)

Ironmower

Spring gobbler opens on monday 8) Just secured another 70 acres to hunt 8) 8)
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

Jeff

This blue, would be Robin egg blue.  She won't stay still to get a photo in the nest asthe cabin is right straight out the back door and she scoots as soon as it opens.  She then sits in a nearby oak and scolds you for interrupting her work.

SwampDonkey

I have not seen my brown thrashers yet. I'm am right on the edge of the range. I had a pair last year for the first time that I ever knew of.

Chuck White

Yesterday, on my bus route, I spotted a pair of Tree Swallows.  They're a little early this year.

SwampDonkey; I haven't seen Brown Thrashers here yet either!  There are normally a couple of pairs of them that frequent our back yard!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

Today was a first for me (maybe because I've not been paying attention  ;D ), and I had a flock of from 25-75 white throated sparrows in the yard. I noticed their high numbers at first, and then noticed the white top head stripe, alternating on the sides with black, then the white throat.  Not a sparrow fan, but these were more likable than the ordinary barn sparrows.

south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!