Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

You sure have a candid camera there mooseherder. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 21, 2009, 05:40:32 AM
You sure have a candid camera there mooseherder. :D

My kids bought me this camera that fits in my front shirt pocket.  I'll carry it with me ready for impending action. :D  It is called Flip Mino.  Really an incredible camera with great sound.
Anybody looking for a camera needs to consider one of these.

http://www.theflip.com/

Chuck White

We've had quite a few birds come in to our bird feeder to get sunflower seeds but one day last week we were really surprised when the light coming in the window was almost blocked.
We had a Wild Turkey actually land on the window-box bird feeder, only for a minute though.

He didn't like the chicken wire screen we had put over it, so, he left.

Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bibbyman

I looked out our living room window this morning to see a bald eagle and two crows setting in a walnut tree about 50 yards from the house and about eye level.  I got out my camera and snapped a few pictures.  When I zoomed in,  I could no longer see the bird in the view screen so I got the picture off center.

Brooke got a better quality 8mp camera for Christmas but it was set on video mode and by the time I got it back on picture mode,  the eagle flew off.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

A flock of waxwings descended upon my crab apple tree for last season's dried up apples. I never thought of the camera, could have taken one easily.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

We have been getting some visites from these guys for the past couple of days , I hope they stick around there where three of them , one was off to the side and would not be tolerated around the other two while they ate ... So yesterday I went and put some corn where he was eating ... ;D  Today he went back there and had a good snack , the other two had sun flower seeds that fall off the bird feeder .

So , I have a question for those who have knowledge of turkeys ... How long do there beards get , and how long does it take ....

Inquiring mind would like to know , but to lazy to google it  ;D

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

They look tastie. ;D

beenthere

I have a theory that the beards will get as long as their legs will allow.... ;D  meaning they wear off the beard when feeding so the longer their legs (or taller the turkey), the longer the beard. Around here, a 10" beard is considered a large bird. Spurs are another, and 1 1/2" spurs are considered to be a good size bird. Weight of 28#'s another indication.

This time of year, the Tom's seem to run together, and the jakes (young tom's) are still with the hens.  Appears to be a jake with that hen there.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

semologger

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 05, 2009, 10:03:33 AM
They look tastie. ;D

Thats what i was thinking. Dont know if i could take shotting them with a camera. Well maybe after the first shot goes bang.

WDH

Marcel,

Those are beautiful birds, and it is special to be able to see them.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

Danny they are a pleasure to have around there where four today . I was not able to take a pickchure as the pictaker was in my shop and so was the camera  :D

Gotta admit they do look tasty .  ;D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Chuck White

beenthere wrote:  I have a theory that the beards will get as long as their legs will allow....   meaning they wear off the beard when feeding so the longer their legs (or taller the turkey), the longer the beard. 
I'm in full agreement with his reasoning.

I think that by the time a gobler (or tom) reaches 4 years old, his beard is as long as it will ever be and that will usually be between 9 and 12 inches.

We have turkeys at our house every day.  They clean up whatever we throw out of the bird feeders each morning and of course we usually throw a little extra sunflower seeds out for them too!  The flock that comes here has 10 turkeys in it.

Turkeys don't seem to be overly smart, but they don't miss anything either.  Any movement and they are gone.  Pretty soon, they'll be back.  If they could only realize where all of that seed comes from, they'd save a lot of energy!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Norm

We have a group of about a dozen that comes out to feed in our far bottom corn field. Even though I chisled it they find plenty to eat scratching through the snow for corn. It's funny though, I used to hunt turkey, pheasant and most other upland birds. Now when I see them I almost feel like they're my pets as I've gone to so much trouble to improve the habitat for them. This winter and last has been real hard on them, hopefully with a little help they'll recover to huntable numbers.

Larry

We don't have many turkeys here but the ones we do have are really big...or think they are big.

Kathy feeds the deer cracked corn...last spring I saw a turkey in a Mexican stand off with a deer on who was gonna get that corn. :D  The turkey won. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ErikC

We have turkeys here from time to time. They are kind or rare in our valley, but there is a population. I like to see them. Last year in spring or early summer I scared a hen with some pullets about the size of quail right down by the creek. I didn't go down there again for a while, hoping not to disturb them more. I didn't see them again though.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Chuck White

Quote from: Larry on February 07, 2009, 04:45:04 PM
We don't have many turkeys here but the ones we do have are really big...or think they are big.

Kathy feeds the deer cracked corn...last spring I saw a turkey in a Mexican stand off with a deer on who was gonna get that corn. :D  The turkey won. :)

Here in NY it is against the law to feed the deer.  You will be ticketed if you are caught by a D.E.C. official.

But, I suppose if you were to put out cracked corn for the turkeys and the deer came in to feed, it might buy you a warning or two instead of a ticket.
I have heard that one place (local) has actually posted a sign stating "this feed is for turkey's, deer stay out" true or not, I can't say.  As if the deer can read!

SwampDonkey

With all the winter snow, compounded by alders leaning over some sections of our back roads there is bound to be bird casualties with snow removal equipment. This is not a bash on the snow plow operators. Just hate to see a good partridge go to waste. I know some of you folks might think it's getting rough around here when a guy has to go out and pick up road kill. ;D  :D

This bird was struck by a plow, as the plow passed by the alders and flushed him out. He was laying there most of the afternoon untouched.

I noticed this morning that the neighborhood fox made a nice meal of him in the night. ;D

sprucebunny

This poor little thing ! It is all fluffy and confused. Had to go check each corner of the milkcrate and squeeze between the bars. I can get within about 2 feet of it before it notices.

I've seen other chickadees that had this "pigpen" look. I don't know if it's old age or they just have something slightly wrong with them.

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

I'm thinking disease, could be anything, west nile, avian, eye disease. I think I'd deliver the bird to your local vet for testing. Wear latex.  ::)

Chuck White

Sometimes things like that happen when the bird accidently fly's into a window!

They are just dazed for a while and will usually recover.

SwampDonkey

Could be, but if it's quite common you might have a bad glare on your window that the birds get confused about and fly into it. Seems you had a warbler last year that smacked into the window as well. When a  bird hits window he doesn't usually slump like that unless his neck is broken, at which point he wouldn't be hanging onto cage wire. Don't seem right.

Chuck White

What usually causes birds to fly into a window is when they can see straight through a house or part of it.
In other words, they see in one window and out another.  Looks clear to them and they don't know what glass is!

SwampDonkey

I don't know. I've been in a building before and couldn't even see a pain of glass petitioning two rooms and walked, smuck, right into it. :D

SwampDonkey

Near as I can tell it's a Northern Shrike. It has a long tail, black on top, white underneath it. Has a black beak, a black eye mask, white breast, gray head and back, black wings. Seen him twice in last couple days. I rarely see them. They nest in the far north. Scope on the camera isn't really strong enough.

Also seen a grouse today down by the brook walking under the alder bushes on the snow. I see them there all the time. There is a good grouse hunting road I try to get folks to hunt on in the fall, no one likes to walk much. Too much "Hollywood" hunting these days from pickup cabs. ::)

beenthere

Caught one not looking today.  8)

Nice bird at 20#

While it hung in the tree, three other Tom's came up to check it out. One wouldn't let go of the neck, I imagine trying to get it down out of the tree.

Ten inch beard and 1" spurs,

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!