Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Not unless grouse started taken a liken to snakes. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Larry

While fishing this morning I found a place where the stripers had penned up a huge school of shad in the back end of a hollar.  The stripers would rip through the shad school at there pleasure...and shad parts would float to the top.  The eagles had also learned of this feeding orgy...they were standing by to clean up the pieces.  Don't want good shad parts going to waste. ;D

Just a side note...bout three years ago there were a pair of eagles that nested here.  They found they really like southern hospitality and are now official, full time Arkansas residents. :) :)

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

I try to tell some people that although bald eagles eat fish, they don't catch them live. They pick up the carrion and rob the osprey. I fished on a salmon river here years ago and I watched the osprey do all the hard work and those white headed buzzards would come and steal their salmon catch from them. An eagle isn't build for fishing. I've seen osprey that could barely lift their catch and some would have to drop the fish. On the river there was a shallow place, a bar, we would see the fish moving over this shallow place and there is where the osprey fished. The water was always going down in the evening and up in the morning because of the dam during low demand in the evenings. Even out west they only eat those dead fish after they spawn, the bears catch live fish and won't touch a dead one.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

SD
Guess you've not seen the vids of the bald eagle catching live fish, still kicking as it flys away with it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Roxie

Say when

SwampDonkey

I can't see it on dial-up Roxy, but is the bird wading or did he actually dive into deep water for a catch? Not snatch a sick one off the surface that was dying? No, we have lots of bald eagles here and I've never seen an eagle dive for a fish, not even on TV. I will see them wade in shallows and catch weak or dead fish and steal others on shore or take dead beached fish. I guess there is a fine line in fishing terms, pun intended. ;D

ttbass1969

Evening Grosbecks, and the Red Finches are my favorite.

Roxie

The eagle in the video is fishing in a pond, and it hoovers and then dives into the water for the fish.  It then sits in the water (just like a duck would) and takes off to a tree with the fish. 
Say when

SwampDonkey

Curiosity got the better of me. I took the hour it takes to download those videos on dial-up. The eagle surely was fishing, but in shallow water on a muddy shole. The guy on the video said he was "sitting in water on the mud". That would be the only way he could take off from water. They usually have to swim if caught in deep water and sometimes drown. But, non-the-less he was fishing. The other guy's voice said "the fish have to be pretty small in there". Great video Rox.  :)

Tom

Eagles catch mullet from deeper water here.  They have more luck in the salt water because of the schooling habits of the fish.  Mullet will form rafts of thousands of individuals and run in the current close to the surface.  Eagles will swoop down and grab one by sinking the talons of one, or sometimes both, feet through the fish.  The problems occur when the fish is too big and the bird can't get his talons unlocked.  The fish will drag the bird into the water and some eagles lose their lives there.  Usually the fish is lifted from the water or dragged along the surface to the shore, where the Eagle dispatches it post haste.  :)

SwampDonkey

It's "hard" fishing up here in winter when the rivers and lakes freeze solid, yet the Eagles stay here. I see them all winter along the river.  They eat hare, road kill, cats, dead deer what ever to keep from starving I guess. I can see skimming being a means of fishing like you say Tom. I suspect the older adults with more experience get good at it.

Phorester

Hawk with his lunch.

As I was driving up to my house one afternoon before Christmas, I saw a big bird fluttering in the driveway.  Then this hawk flew away with a dead bird in his talons.  He flew to the roof of the kid's playfort.  I grabbed my camera and got a few poor shots as I walked toward the playfort snapping pictures trying not to spook him before he flew away.

beenthere

Interesting that you posted that today. Same happened here, with a Coopers hawk feasting on a flicker..picked most of the feathers off first. Interesting.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sprucebunny

I have a screen porch under my upper deck. There are a couple of bird feeders on the upper deck.
In the winter, the screen porch is full of firewood and odds and ends.

When I went to feed the woodstove yesterday morning there was a bluejay in a corner of the screen porch banging against the screens. There is a door at each end about 12 feet apart but he was stuck in a corner... He got all excited when I showed up and dug himself into a space between the screening and a half sheet of foam insulation.

Thru the screen he looked kind of flat  :D I let him out with a utility knife. Don't use the screen porch for much but firewood ....
Was nice to see a jay close up !!!
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Onthesauk

A link my Sister sent me today:

http://skagiteaglewatchers.wordpress.com/

The Skagit River is about 18 miles north of me.  I fish up in that area a lot.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

WildDog

We have 2 large cranes that frequent our waterhole at the house. I got home today and Nicky said, "one Crane was flying and then the tinniest little Hawk hit it in mid air and the cranes wings just crumpled up and he fell straight down fortunately hitting the water.

Nicky said he rested on the rocks for a long while and then disappeared, hopefully not to a fox, as I type this I can can see one crane on a log in the middle of the creek but only the one.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

beenthere

I'd mentioned before about watching a live cam set up on Pete's Pond in Botswana, Africa and sponsored by National Geographic.  There are some interesting birds and wild animals that frequent the pond, and the pond is complete with a Nile croc.
Have been watching the croc kill a terrapin (turtle) and work on consuming it for several days. The croc also killed a large catfish and left the head on the bank. A fish eagle stole the head and dragged it off to eat it. Someone made a video of that bit of thievery if interested. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ-FVpZeXzo
south central Wisconsin

JackSchaffer

Nice story sprucebunny.  That was fun to read.

Last year I planted a plot of New England asters, and this is the first winter I've been able to keep goldfinches into January.  I doubt that's a coincidence, and would appreciate any feedback!

Also I stopped using millet this year, and all the sparrows have left.
Jack Schaffer
Product Manager
Ben Meadows

SwampDonkey

Got lots of birds here without even feeding them. Blue jays, pine grosbeaks, chickadee, ravens, red polls, flocks of snow bunting, juncos. If I did start feeding, the blue jays would take over, sometimes 30 at a time. They sack continuously. I see gold finch to, feeding on weeds and burdock bushes mostly.

SwampDonkey

Noticed a bunch of at least twenty goldfinch today as luck would have it, on my walk from the shop to the house. Hard to tell them from snow bunting from a distance, sound almost the same to. They were feeding on seeds on some tall lamb's quarters stalks.

Burlkraft

This little guy has been hunting the brush pile in my yard. We put the Christmas tree in the snow out by it and Jill has been putting suet and popcorn and old bread out there for the birds. He has made this his breakfast hunting ground  ;D  ;D

Why not just 1 pain free day?

WildDog

We are maddly spraying Balck Berry's at the moment over about 300 acres that I only run cattle on and not the goats. I am worried where all the Finches that nest in these bushes are going to go next season.

The Blue Wrens and Double Bar finches call them home. One neighbour has a 500 acre paddock alongside mine that he hasn't sprayed for many a year but through another neighbour I hear he's going to hit it soon so effectively a lot of habit will be lost for these little guys.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

SwampDonkey

Looks like a merlin. We don't have them here in winter. Kestrel are similar and they were some thick here this summer. They perch on the power lines in fields. I think a nesting pair took refuge in a small stand of woods just up the road last spring. Sure was a noisey bunch and chased the robins a lot this fall in the orchard up there. They circled the place constantly.

Mooseherder

My lunch time had a visitor drop in for a bit.  Musta smelled my sammich. :D
Video is 1:08 long of an Immature Egret on the Hood of my car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNw-dm2o6nM

WDH

He seems to be enjoying the breeze and the view ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!