iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aigheadish and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mooseherder

We have the same one 2nd edition we got in 1997.  It is a great book.  My wife is real good at identifying Birds.

WildDog

thought i'd show a couple of pics of some of the birds we get around the house, i will post others when I get a chance to photograph them, our camera is fairly limited in its zoom capabilities. We like the birds and are fortunate to have a wide variety call our farm home.

2 Galahs and an Australian King Parrot in the pine tree that overhangs our house.

Crimson Rosellas sometimes called Mountain Louries and a male King Parrot in a Cherry tree.

Pair of King Parrots in a Fig Tree bellow the big old pine.

The old Pine is a haven for the birds when its about to rain the pine cones open up and we get a pair of Black Cockatoos and there young come in. Unfortunately the tree has to go it is 1 foot of the side of the house and has a 6 ft butt, so for safety it is coming down, the power company is doing the job and I get to slab it ;D
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

SwampDonkey

Cool birds. I bet they love those cherries. Oh wait, it's winter. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

Triple header at the pond tonight.
A Wood Stork, a Great Egret and a Water Turkey, aka Snake bird, aka Anhinga. :D
He was showing off for the Stork and Egret. :D

Somehow the video quality doesn't post as well on utube.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rzCxGH1f-Hg">

WDH

WildDog,

Those are beautiful birds.  I am sure that they will miss the old pine tree :).

Mooseherder,

The three stooges ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

Found this pair of young Phoebe's on the ground this afternoon. Guess the 89° F heat may have encouraged them to seek more comfortable surroundings. Hope they get up in a tree before dark. It is the second hatch this year. Glad to see some survivors, as the 5 bluebird young were found dead in their nesting house last week.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I see them here to beenthere. I have never seen a nest, but I see a couple pairs each year. They sure are busy for flies and you can tell them from other little birds from their tail movements. They pump it downward on their perch. They can have all the bugs they can eat.  ;D :)

I can remember when I first took a liking to them and noticed them around the barn doors of the potato sheds eating at swarms of potato flies as the crops were being stored for winter.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

SD
They have maintained a nest above an outdoor light on my shed under the eaves. They've been back in that nest every year for about three broods a summer for at least 25 years.  Seem to be a nice bird to have around.

I was just out, and the two younguns have found someplace else to sit. Hope they are safe from the neighbors feral cats that they feed. They are part of the program where feral cats are caught and neutered, then let go free again.  >:( >:( >:(
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Yeah I know about the cats, they come visit every day, at least twice. I know whose they are, they are my aunts and she often has not been home to tend them with my uncle being in and out of hospital.

BillG

Quote from: Mooseherder on July 10, 2008, 06:08:20 PM
Triple header at the pond tonight.
A Wood Stork, a Great Egret and a Water Turkey, aka Snake bird, aka Anhinga. :D
He was showing off for the Stork and Egret. :D

Somehow the video quality doesn't post as well on utube.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rzCxGH1f-Hg">

Moose - The bird I miss seeing most from South Florida is the Blue Heron... we used to have a Great Blue living near our house and we saw it almost every day.  They are truly a magnificent bird and so much fun to watch in the wild. The Wood Storks showed up in our neighborhood right after hurricane Wilma and about a week  before we found out my wife was pregnant....they are still there (we aren't)

sprucebunny

Cedar Waxwings

I'll bet that some of you who are trying to grow berries are mad at these birds  :D

There is a bumper crop of cherries in my yard this year and I saw a pair of these this morning. Sorry no picture ....

They are an interesting and social bird. I don't recall seeing them here, before.

http://www.wordwiz72.com/waxwing.html
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

Yes, cedar waxwings are a pretty bird. I have them here year round. I see them mainly in summer around the wild cherries. In winter they are common in small flocks. I have fed juveniles pin cherries by hand in summer. As you say, they are not too shy. I have heard some folks here name them bohemian wax wing, but that is a western bird. Although they do find them in winters here rarely. They may even breed in the north (boreal regions) in Eastern Canada but not in abundance. That's from info in National Geographic's Field Guide.

sprucebunny

With all the cutover land around here, the waxwings must be having a feast on cherries but I wonder what fruit they find the rest of the time ??? That page says that fruit is 85-90% of thier diet.

Todays bird adventure....  found a little bird on the ground in front of the house. No nest nearby. I put him in a box on the upstairs porch because there is a cat that comes around looking for snacks ::)

I hope he makes it.

SwampDonkey

Black-and-white warbler Mniotilta varia

I think he is an adult, maybe he had a window collision. But, if not he is almost there in maturity. ;D

SwampDonkey

Cedar wax wings eat High bush cranberry, winter apples, rose hips, staghorn sumac, crab apples, round wood berries, tree sap. They also eat insects in summer. I imagine they eat seeds as well. Although, I have never seen them at the feeder at years past.

sprucebunny

Thanks for the warbler ID, SD  ;D Another interesting species ! ... The only member of the family Mniotilta and the only bird, besides nuthatches , that walks in any direction on the trunk of a tree in search of insects.

He is gone from the box, now. Hope he's OK

SwampDonkey

Juncos on the back lawn today. Friendly little buddies.  ;D

Mooseherder

This is a Heron from a couple weeks back after we got a bunch of Rain.  He was pickin' off the minnows big time. :)
The coconut Palms around the pond where under water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFX3JwhGkkg

SwampDonkey

We have a lot of heron up here to, beautiful birds. The creek usually has 3 or 4 early in the mornings wading and fishing before fall migration. I have a couple that hang out near my woodlot, hopping from beaver pond to beaver pond.  :) I have been keen on sighting bitterns the last couple of years. Talked to one fellow hunting and he was perplexed at the noise those bitterns make. He had to look it up and the sound on an Encyclopedia of birds.

Recently, a forestry company was convicted of destroying heron nests while building road. The fine wasn't all that stiff, $50,000 and a donation to a conservation group. That's pretty much an annual wage of a company forester.

Mooseherder

We having been trying to identify this feller who was hanging out for a few hours last week.
Appears to come from the Pigeon family but not in any of our book pages.  Any ideas? ???

SwampDonkey

white crowned pigeon , patagioenas leucocephala  ?

Found it in  National Geographic Field Guide to Birds of NA.

Mooseherder

I'm thinking he may have been someones pet allthough there wasn't a band on his leg.
My wife got within 2 feet of it and thinks she may have been able to pet it. (she didn't)  He was on this gate with the dog barking at his feet and the cat pushing and stretching himself at the bottom of the gate. :D

Larry

I've read over in the food section of this delicious meal that Jeff fixed with grouse.  I figured I would like to try a grouse and yesterday I spotted one. 

I'm going back today with my grouse gun to bag me one.  I called Arkansas Game and Fish to purchase a grouse tag but they told me I don't need one cause Arkansas don't have any....whata they know. ???  Stuffed grouse on the way. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

:D :D

That's one of them road runner "grouse" ain't it Larry? ;)

Larry

Whatsa roadrunner taste like? ;D  Are you sure thats not an Arkansas grouse? :D

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!