iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Saw a nest with 10-12 (never counted) ruffed grouse eggs, flushed the hen off the nest. Was beside a skid trail. Why is it that birds like to nest on the edge and not back into the woods more. Darn near stepped on her, I was 1 foot away.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

A couple of weeks ago I was on a trout fishing trip in the mountains.  Driving along a Forest Service road, I disturbed a grouse hen that was apparently nesting right alongside the road.  She did not take kindly to my alacritous passing, and she tried to attack the vehicle.  She could have chosen a less contentious nest site, but she chose the edge effect created by the road.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

Quote from: WDH on May 16, 2008, 08:19:50 AM
A couple of weeks ago I was on a trout fishing trip in the mountains.  .

Up here we go fishing on da lakes not up in da mountains ... you southern boys sure do things differently  ::) :D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

Down here, you have to go to the mountain streams to catch trout because the ponds and lakes get too warm in the summer for the trout to survive.  I envy all the good fishing up your way, Marcel.  I want to try it one day. 

No ice fishing down here until the next ice age come along :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

I have a nesting pair of brown thrashers here this year in the back yard. They seem to like the spruce trees. I have not seen much sign of the grackles that nest in the spruce though. Are they dying off to, like the barn swallow? Brown thrashers are at the edge of their range here, according to Audubon this is out of range. But Peterson's says they nest in western NB. I've seen them in the deep woods to where stands of red spruce grow around Nashwaak Lake. They are robin-like with a longer tail, too big for thrushes.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Onthesauk

Last evening, heading down the hill in a heavy rain, saw something hunkered down along the driveway.  Stopped beside it and turned out to be a hen grouse with little ones tucked under her wings, more to protect them from me then the rain I think.

Early afternoon today she had them out in the brush hogged grass along the tree line, 100 feet above the house.  She crouched and watched carefully as they ran around leaning how to catch bugs it looked like.  Appear to be several weeks old, getting real feathers.  Maybe 5 to 6 of them.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

WDH

I needed to make a foundation for an air drying stack for some cherry lumber that I am sawing.  The beams for the bottom of the stack foundation were leaning against the wall of my barn under the drying shed.  I noticed a bird nest on the top of the beams, so I gently took it down and there were three or four newly hatched chicks.  There was no good place to put the nest (I have five hunting cats), so I put it on the top of some other boards standing against the barn.  I went about the business of building the stack foundation, but soon I noticed that the nest had fallen to the ground.  I gently picked the nest up and found a more secure location about 8 feet away from the original nest.  I was not sure that the mother would reclaim her babies after so much disturbance.  This was several days ago.

Well, today I was messing around in the general vicinity, and I checked on the little birds.  They were still there and hungry!  I am sure that Momma took care of the problem because in this 100° F heat, if she had not, the little babies would not have survived.  Way to go Mom!!

SwampDonkey

I have not heard any bitterns in the woods this year. Is anyone hearing them? They are heron-like.

sprucebunny

Sorry, SD... no bitterns around here but they always were a 'rare bird'  :D

I always wondered why we had the expression about getting your "ducks in a row" ??? The only time i'd ever seen them in a row was at the shooting gallery at the fayuh. ( fair, to you non-Mainers  ;D )
So when I found some ducks in a row, I had to have a picture  ;D

We can see why these ducks are in a row but does anyone know where the expression comes from ???

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

I'm sure they are here, but I think I'm too late to here them much as they have mostly likely settled down with their mates by now. I went out this afternoon on purpose to go listen for them. All I heard were mosquitoes. :D

I'm not sure of the origin of 'having my ducks in a row'. I suppose it relates more to their flying formation than their resting on the beach under the shade of a pole. ;)

Ron Scott

From Chuck Moreland's Phrases with Origings page

Baby ducklings swim in a straight line behind the mother duck. If the ducklings stray to far, the mother duck will get them back in line, that is get her ducks in a row.

http://members.aol.com/MorelandC/HaveOriginsData.htm#DucksInARow

~Ron

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

WDH

Joan,

I am pleased to see that you have your ducks in a row ;D.

Roxie

Sprucebunny, that's a cute picture!  And, now we know the rest of the story.....
Say when

Mooseherder

A short clip while I was cooking some Beef Stew on the Fire Pit and my wife was videoing a HummingBird. :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ygF0dt0NBfI&hl=en">

Burlkraft

Hey...What was in that bottle  ???  ???   :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Mooseherder

Quote from: Burlkraft on June 24, 2008, 06:19:17 PM
Hey...What was in that bottle  ???  ???   :D  :D

Colored Sugar Water. :D

Larry

This is a roadrunner...not just any common roadrunner...he is my neighbor, as we share the same piece of dirt in beautiful Nob Hill Arkansas. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Don P

Spooked this guy yesterday, who knows their owls?

WDH

Looks like the rare yellow poplar owl :D.

Mooseherder

My Wife says it looks like a Barred Owl, especially because it looks like it has a yellow beak.

Radar67

These joined us on the 5th of June. They are growing fast.

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

Darn near cut the head off a black duck this morning when cutting brush. Darn buzzard was in a hardwood forest nesting.  :D :D

Don P

Thanks for the owl ID MH, our homeowner had it as a spotted owl... I figured it might be worth a double check   ;D.

Edit; Well how about that, barred owls have made the hop to the west and are displacing and interbreeding with spotted owls.
http://www.wflc.org/inthenews/nso/art6.15.05eurekatimes

SwampDonkey

I picked up a really nice National Geographic Field Guide to Birds of NA yesterday in Marden's. They had large hardcover versions to. Mine was the fifth edition (2006) with tabs on the edge to quickly locate groups of birds. It's a $32 (CDN) book and I got it for $3.99.  8) They had about 30 of'm and most were 4th edition. I was surprised to see they printed it in China, but it's a nice book. It has the drawings, which I like a lot better than photos.

There is bird I discovered in there that I never hear tell of before and it's the rusty blackbird. It nests mostly in Canada, rare in the west, and winters in the eastern half of the US. Do any of you folks see these in winter? They turn kind of brownish in winter and have yellow eyes. They are similar to grackles in summer, but not a long tail

Thank You Sponsors!