iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

semologger

I was going to town today and seen a trail of birds that was around 50 feet wide by 3 miles long.
It had to be longest ive ever seen. The birds are migrateing thats for sure. any one else seen any?

I dont know what type. Small black birds is what they were.

beenthere

Please tell us they were going North... ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

semologger

SwampDonkey

I won't see any black birds or grackles until late April here. They seem to arrive at the same time here and the red wings are mixed into the grackles and cow birds. Then once they get their wits about them and feed their bellies they go pair off and do there thing. I know when spring arrives when the timber doodles and snipe make their calls and fly in circles around my woodlot along with the sounds of the frogs emerging.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

I thought things were getting a little quieter around here.  There will shortly be a lot fewer Robins, blackbirds, ducks, geese, yankees, hummingbirds, swallows.. stuff like that. :)

Norm

These two were sunning in the oak tree back of our house. Not one bit afraid of us but the fat horse sure kept an eye on them....and vice versa. :D

semologger

Nice one Norm. There are a bunch around here on current river. I love watching them. I heard somewere the was coming off the endanged list. Anyone else heard this?

SwampDonkey

When I lived in Prince Rupert, the phone book had a picture of a big sitka spruce with about 30 eagles perched on it. The dumps out there were full of bald eagles and seagulls. Live of course.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

Quote from: semologger on February 23, 2008, 09:35:51 AM
I heard somewere the was coming off the endanged list. Anyone else heard this?

From NPCA.org
QuoteStatus:On July 12, 1995, the bald eagle was reclassified from endangered to threatened in the lower 48 states. It remains unlisted in Alaska.

From Eagles.org
QuoteThe bald eagle was delisted from its Threatened status on June 28, 2007 in the lower 48 states. Its primary legal protection was transferred from the Endangered Species Act to the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act (BGEPA), which also applies to Alaska. "Disturbance" of bald and golden eagles had already been prohibited under the BGEPA. However, since "disturb" had never been defined in this Act, it is being defined to protect both eagle species and their habitats.

Mooseherder

This Egyptian Goose hangs around here and does this several times a day.  He had been quacking for 15 minutes before I decided to video.  He hangs around with a different crowd. :D
Q the duck please. ;D
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fo8QxwGfsLo">

pappy

This Barred Owl has been hanging around the bird feeders at camp Outback for a couple weeks now... We had a get together Saturday with 10 or so ole class mates for chili and dogs... 4 or 5 of us were able to get in close for some pics...  The weird thing was it would have it's right eye closed or partially opened most of the time,,, it would dive and hit the snow every once in awhile after what we thought was a red squirrel burrowing in the snow....

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

SwampDonkey

I hope it catches the squirrel and many more, add some mice in there to. :D Owls seems to do that a lot with the eyes. He was winking at ya's. ;D

Burlkraft

Quote from: Mooseherder on March 16, 2008, 08:52:44 PM
This Egyptian Goose hangs around here and does this several times a day.  He had been quacking for 15 minutes before I decided to video.  He hangs around with a different crowd. :D
Q the duck please. ;D

Glenn.....

That goose would not make as much noise and would look a lot juicer if he was in a dutch oven with some onions and potatoes  :D  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Mooseherder

Steve..
The fire pit ain't that far away neither. :D

zopi

My daughter adopted a two year old cockatiel this morning...I came home from work, and the bird took one look at me and latched on....uh-oh...i think i have been co-opted by a couple ounces of fowl...

little snot is sitting next to me chattering at me and demolishing a cookie...funny..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

SwampDonkey

Some of those parrot like birds do bond with you, especially if they are acquired when they are young. I seen one that got adopted, it was still a baby growing in it's feathers, and it wouldn't leave it's new owner's side. Be prepared. :D

Mooseherder

We were down by the fire pit and grill tonight when whip-poor-will wouldn't stop whippin' so I went to get the camera so y'all could hear him. ;D
I've never seen one in person, just in a book but we do hear them alot.
He shut up about 25 seconds into video. :D
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lh4Vxz9Z6qo">

SwampDonkey

This timber doodle (American woodcock) has been hanging about my cedar tree in the back yard for a couple days. I scared him this morning, and me, as I walked out there and he flushed. He has returned to the same spot. Took the picture out the window. Seems content.

SwampDonkey

He seems to come out from the cedar and feed for awhile, then retreat back in under when his belly is full. It's funny to watch him do his jitter dance. Wish I had a video camera. ;)

Paul_H

Mooseherder,

thanks for the video,I hear that lonesome whip-poor-will,he sounds to blue to fly..
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Mooseherder

Thanks Paul,
I have not heard him for some time.  He must of found a mate.
We were down there all night and didn't hear a peep.  One gift I bought my wife for her    birthday was a wildlife camera she has been wanting. :D (she got udder stuff)  I have been testing the camera in hopes of capturing a picture of a whip-poor-will. 

Burlkraft

MH...Did ya cook that goose, or has he just gone away  ???  ???  ???
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Mooseherder

The goose comes and goes quite frequently.  We definitely know when he's around cause he don't shut up. :D

pappy

Know what ya saying dere MH cause the goosies are aheadin' north by the bunchs and Soldier Pond has it's fair share  :o
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Furby

We were kayaking up at the lake yesterday and foated up on this.
Can anyone I.D. them?
My first though was geese, but then I realized they seemed a bit bigger than the geese eggs I've seen before.
I'm thinking swans as there are several in that area, but I've never seen a swan's nest up close before.

Thank You Sponsors!