iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

It has been a good bird week. ;)
The zoom on this digital ain't enough git up and go though.
Here is a Red-Shouldered Hawk.

An Osprey.

The Osprey leaving because we had to get to close for a picture. :(

Some Sandhill Cranes hanging around.

Jeff

One day while I was left alone in da U.P. without wheels during black powder season, I decided to step outside and play with the chickadees.  :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=24_lhewZYDI
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Furby

REAL nice shots! 8)

SwampDonkey

I always used to watch the Osprey catch salmon in the river when we were salmon fishing. There are several nesting platforms for them in my area including power line poles. They said they were endangered, but I have always seen eagles and osprey as long as I can remember. Probably more common now, but not sure. Some times an eagle would steal a salmon from the osprey when it was beached. I've seen them (osprey) snatch trout from the creek on rare occasion when traveling on the school bus, especially when it was parked by the store waiting for school kids coming from the high school. The creek is over 100 feet wide, so it's a good sized one. Always see heron wading the same creek in cold fall mornings stalking their prey.

I always see the chickadee in my spruce woods. They must be about the friendliest little feathered buggers around.  :)

Hopefully my goshawk is still around. Haven't trekked up to the lot in weeks. I usually see where he catches the odd grouse.

I wonder if their are any deer tracks? I haven't seen any sign since the first snow. Wonder where they went? Keeping my eye out (or two) for the bobcat that was around last winter.  :o

Man, were the blue jays some thick around one of the corn fields we were working near. Those and the squirrels and bear must have been about nuts sacking and eating and hiding like it was the last food source.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Saw a barred owl today along the road, sitting in a maple with an over hanging branch. He never got spooked, wish I had the camera.  ::)

Haven't seen an owl in a long time, but I here them in the distance quite often.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

A friend called to say there was an owl in his yard. This tree has a house 15 feet away on both sides. The crows were chasing and harassing the owl but after awhile the crows gave up.

N ice chickadee photos, Jeff. They are a cute bird  :)

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

sprucebunny

On the Androscoggin River, Berlin, NH

SwampDonkey

Nice photo. What they chow'n on.  ;D

sprucebunny

Thanks  :)

I don't know. Muskrat ? Groundhog ???

They are standing on the ice of the Androscoggin River within sight of the truck route bridge, Route 16 and one of several power station outfalls.

thecfarm

On the Kennbec River in Richmond,Maine the game wardens threw road kill on to the ice for the eagles or opreys.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Onthesauk

I feed the birds 40 feet down the hill in front of our porch.  18 inches of snow so I just throw a few pounds of feed on the snow.  I have about 30 to 40 varied thrushes hanging around this Winter, a lot more then we usually get in this area.  We got about 4 inches of fresh snow last night and then we were gone for most of the day.  When I got home I found a pile of thrush feathers off in the snow 6 feet from the end of the porch.  No tracks, (i.e. kitty type,) anywhere near and not a speck of flesh.  Has to have been a hawk, probably sharp shinned, that got him and ate him right next to the house.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

SwampDonkey

Some hawks are keen on the pickings around bird feeders.  ;D

Jeff

I've had some really cool wild life encounters this past year and today had another.

This little male Pine Grosbeak flew into our front window. We went out and picked him up and put him where it was warm on the hood of one of our cars. An hour later he was still there, but seemed better so I tried to put him on a branch, which went well. I watched him from the house for an hour and noticed he had turned around to face the other way. I went out and touched his foot and he moved, i tried to touch him again and away he flew to a tree across the road. He sat there for a few minutes and then proceeded on. The female sat in the crab tree by our house while all this was going on, then followed the male as he took off. I'm glad to see that he might just make it.

Heres a short youtube clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPzkH8oeWoM

Mooseherder

Wow.  Hope the lil' feller is okay. 
Have you got snow or what? :D

Ron Scott

~Ron

Jeff

We've been getting it a foot at a time lately.  Its settled a lot, but I bet were over 15 foot total for the year. Thats just a guess, but I bet its close.  All these 12's and 8's and 10's and the 4's and 6 inchers all add up.  I'm ready for da thaw and da mud! ;D

WDH

I feel sorry for the bird, and for you too, for the snow.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

It's a special aura that lets you approach animals. You seem to have it.  I've noticed that I must have it too.  When most people have problems with dogs, they come to me.  I've had chickens and the like stand next to me and let me pick them up.   It's a good feeling.

What happened to your little deer?

SwampDonkey

Yeah I get a lot of pine grosbeaks to. They are not real shy like other birds, friendly like chickadees. Even young cedar wax wings can be approached, I fed them cherries from my hand before. You know what they say though, 'a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.'  ;D

Norm

Great pictures Jeff. I too have noticed you have a way with animals. Hope your little deer buddy is doing ok.

Jeff

I've been concerned about Dizzy.  I hope she found a place for the winter that is taking care of her. We were prepared to do it, but there are areas just to the north that would have better winter thermal cover for her. I hope she found a place that appreciated her visits as much as we did and I will be thrilled if come spring, we see a young doe in the neighborhood.

beenthere

SD
Notice that Jeff gets pics ...
just to let us know it really happened... ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Yeah but he stuns them first.  ;D

I noticed something today, and them chickadees is some smart for a ball of feathers.

They were picking through the dry cat tail heads and I thought they were eating seeds. Well on close inspection, it was little brown grubs living in the cat tails they were feasting on.

I remember as a kid bringing in old cat tail heads that over wintered, and placing them on the kitchen counter. Then left them unattended, later returned to see those grubs crawling everywhere on the counter.  ::)

beenthere

SD
Now you know where the icefishermen get some of their bait... :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!