iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

NZ wood pigeon or kereru.
It's one native bird that has adapted fairly well to European settlement in NZ. They are common around urban parks and gardens where they feed on berries and leaves of various trees. This one is sitting in a kowhai tree next door to my Mum's house. Winter time and food is scarce, they will just eat the leaves and flower buds off these trees.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Onthesauk

John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

beenthere

That made for an interesting read. Reminder of some good days in Ketchikan, AK
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

You guys never been to Hyder? ;D

When I was in Prince Rupert they always talked about Ketchikan on the radio. I think the Ferry and float plains went up there from PR.

I was only there once, we had to drive out from Meziadin Junction in BC. We were only at the junction one shift because the camp down on the Nass R. was full I guess. Seen a big glacier on the way over (Bear Glacier), even had a big avalanche that was still not melted out in September. The river melted through it.

A lot of days we worked on Sommerville Island, we could look across Porcher Canal to Alaska when they gave us a lift by chopper to the top of the mountain. We had to slide down on snow and ice about a KM to the work area and about 2 more down to the shore for pickup in the late afternoon when tide was out (hopefully). Had a few trips by tippy toe on the chopper skids. :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Onthesauk

I was there for business in the old days when the airliner would land out on an island and you would get on a seaplane, (that took off from the runway,) and then land on the water just in front of downtown.  Now there's a ferry that runs from the new airport to town and lots of news about eventually a bridge to the airport.

Lots of loggers in the NW have cut on Prince of Wales Island, out across open water from Ketchikan.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Jeff

This was a lovely scene snapped by my sister Lynda on the back waters of the lake where she lives.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

That is quite a scene, in many ways.  Water that you can see the bottom too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

I actually cropped it from a larger scene just as impressive. but in the format for the forum it loses a lot.

SwampDonkey

Talking about clear water, wish I had a submersible camera to take pictures of spawning gravel that shines like gold in the bright sun. Taking a picture above water just gives a big glare from the sun. They were always cool trout fishing spots on the tributaries of the Mirimachi.  8) Most tributaries came from bogs and swamp with water dark like coffee.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Use a ziploc bag if its only a stream.

Furby

Ah, well, um.............
That was my FIRST underwater housing many, many years ago!
Even installed a water proof glass port for perfectly clear shots. :)
Did indeed soot some great video, but did lose a $1k video camera when the ziplock failed. :'( :-\ :'(
Now I use better material! ;D

SwampDonkey

Might be ok to use over the lens, but I wouldn't trust it to submerge my camera. I used to make a custom storage bag for my calculator. Cut a zip lock to the proper dimensions, then seal with a lighter. Worked pretty good for a day or two in heavy rain. But, I've found zip lock not to be water tight. If meet juice can get through, so can't water. Can't blame it on condensation from a thawed piece of hamburg when you see blood under the bag on the fridge shelf.  ::)

Norm

I have some hostas blooming outside my office windows at home and this little guy showed up tonight. I have not seen one this color before and wondered if anyone knew what kind he was.

I'll have to show my ignorance on Jeff's pic, is it a trumpeter swan?

Mooseherder

Dats a purty Hummingbird Norm. ;)

Tom

There are two species that apparently frequent Iowa, the ruby throated and the rufous.  According to this site:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/237016/hummingbirds_in_iowa.html

It is probably a Rufous. :)

Shotgun

Tom is correct, either Ruby or Rufus.  I say it's a Ruby female.

The other Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Furby

Forgot all about it Donk, but they have a heavy poly or PVC waterproof bag designed for cameras and camcorders at a local store.
About$12 on sale right now.
They are clear so you can shoot right through them and have a very large plastic locking thing to seal them up tight.
Could send ya one if ya wanted. :)

SwampDonkey

Thanks Furb. I'd take one. Would $29 cover it?  ;D Just shoot me an IM with an address.  ;)

It's getting late in the summer to be wading it the ice cold water of the North Pole stream, but might give'r a try.  ;)

cheerio

Don K

I would say a mama ruby throat myself.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

SwampDonkey

My grandfather's cousin has about 6 feeders up for the hummer. She has about 4 pair at them and now the hornets have learned the feeders are a source of nourishment. The hummers will often attack them.

On another note I saw about 8 nighthawks swarming around the yard at her place the other day. They might be flocking up to head south, don't know. You can tell by the white band on the underside of their wings. They look tern-like in flight, but are related to Whip-Poor-Wills. You'll here them dive for bugs as their wings make a hum during their dive.

Norm

I went online and looked at different pictures of both varieties and think it's is a female ruby throated hummingbird. Guess I've been seeing mostly males up until now and have not seen the female up close to tell the difference.

Last night just at dusk we had a feeding frenzy of big dragonfly's and swallows in our back yard. This went on for about a half an hour and then they almost all were gone. Quite a sight to see.

Mooseherder

This Pileated came by for a visit this morning. ;)

thecfarm

We have a couple hummingbirds feeders that the wife keeps full of sugar water.Most of the time the male will stay by the feeder and won't let the males eat.He'll drive them away.But when one of the ladies come by to eat,he'll watch them eat.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

The Sandhill cranes are starting to come together up by the cabin for their journey south. Always a cool time to see these big birds in large numbers.  I cropped this from a photo I took yesterday that had a few dozen birds in it.

sprucebunny

I know exactly where that barn is, Jeff ! I took pictures of cranes there in August but they didn't come out as good.

I see hawks almost every day. Always amazes me to see such a big bird rush thru the trees.
This one is hunting in a field.

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!