iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I took a couple of photos of birds near our property this week. THe Sandhill cranes are colored about the same as the deer right now. They have chicks but I did not get a photo of any although I tried.  We are starting to get a pretty good population of Turleys as well and maybe some day we will have a season.  We counted 11 gobblers all together in this group through the trees.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Burlkraft

Them Sandhills is pretty tasty also..... ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

Thats what the old timers say up north. They call em "Sand Turkeys"  they say the big difference is that those drumsticks stick clear out of the roasting pan.  :D

(Not to mention they are protected here  :o)

Jeff

Here is another picture I took coming home. I was sitting there trying to tell that Seagull it was an easy choice.  The people in that vehicle had no idea that seagull was hitching a ride. :)

WDH

That seagull looks as confused as I would be :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

Its easy. DONT GO TO SAGINAW!

WDH

So I turn left at Saginaw, not right ??? :P :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

I saw a turkey the other day along the ditch of the road. It wasn't those white ones people farm now, but it had the colors of a wild one. I'm sure it was from someones hobby farm, but it wasn't penned in. It could be fox bate by now.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pappy

SD,
I heard last fall the wild turkeys are moving north, up around the Ashland area ... Ya might'a  seen a wild one  8) 8)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

SwampDonkey

Ring necked pheasants winter here. Could it be possible for the turkeys? We don't have many oaks this far up river, but they are seeding in on the cut overs. Do turkey require oaks? I thought they did. I suppose they could eat ironwood, beech and hazel nuts. It's pretty harsh up here in winter though.   fire_smiley

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

I dont know why they cant live there. There aint an oak within 20 miles of us in the U.P, but lots and lots of beech. I think our winters there are online with yours as well on the severity level.

beenthere

They really like the farmers that spread manure.....it tides them over when there is a bad acorn crop...

Wouldn't surprise me if it was a wild turkey.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I wouldn't rule it out, but I ain't ready to stick my neck out to announce it to anyone local, or I might be the local turkey.  ;)

My great grand mother raised turkeys and we have pictures some place of her tending them. They even had about the same color plumage as wild ones.  She was getting along in years when that picture was taken, but still tended her turkeys.

thecfarm

We did not have any wild turkeys here until about 6 years ago.I use to see them where my FIL lives,about ½ an hour from here all the time.Use to see 20-30 at a time.I've never seen more than 10 at a time here but they are moving up towards your way.We have 2 hanging down at the lower end of the field with about 6 chicks.Keeps the dog on the attack mode all day.I always seen them walking.I went to take a picture of them in our field and it took off and flew into the woods.I was shocked to see that.  :o  :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

Wild turkeys have also moved into southeastern B.C. from Idaho which seems to be well north of their normal range.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

Clear case of Global flocking.

pigman

A proper dressed bird for Independence day here in the USA. The post is about three inches for scale. The picture is out of focus causing the blue not to show as bright as it should.

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

beenthere

Are you into bird carving now?  Nice work.. beautiful bird 

Happy Independence Day to all.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Norm

Great shot Bob, I have many of those on the farm here and really enjoy seeing them.

Happy birthday to a great Country! :)

SwampDonkey

I don't have any red heads here, but I have a some pileated that inhabit some of the old aspen that are becoming decadent.

Ianab

Playing with the new camera again  ;D

This bird is a Fantail, a fairly comon native bird around here. Quite small, feeds by catching small insects on the wing. Very active and agile bird, it's large tail lets it fly in pretty much any direction it wants, in fact they dont seem able to fly in a straight line or keep still for more than 2 seconds  :D They come out of the forest more in the winter when food is scarce and hang around the cattle, chasing insects that they stir up. They get very quiet and will fly within a few feet of you hoping you stir up some bugs I guess.

This one was sitting in a tree about 70 ft from where we were standing, I was showing off me new camera to a friend. "see that fantail over in the pine tree?" .. "What fantail?"

click

"That fantail ! "  ;D

Considering this is a bird smaller than a sparrow and 70 ft away I think they are pretty good  pictures. And I have to order a new camera for my friend  ;)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Yeah, those fly catcher type birds are neat to watch. I have a couple pair around the yard. They can have all they want. The ones I see twirl their tail in a circular motion when perched. ;D

Ron Scott

Golden Eagle. Sits on a perch above the Yellowstone River near Livingston, Montana; 7/4/07.

~Ron

Ianab

Local type of cormorant (Shag), at the river mouth where I often eat lunch. They usually appear totally black, but playing with the camera exposure level you can actually see some details.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

We've noticed a pair of golden eagles here the last couple years. They are not as common as the bald eagles here.

Thank You Sponsors!