iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigman

Quote from: pigman on April 21, 2007, 11:07:50 PM
These two geese came walking through my yard last week. They were heading due south to escape the cold weather we had last week. It has warmed up today, so I expect to see them on their way back north soon.

Well the geese couldn't make up their mind whether to head south or north, so they just stayed around and started a family.

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Don K

I went and checked on my bluebirds when I got home from Sawlex today. There are now 5 eggs instead of the 3 in my photo. I don't know how they will fit in there if all them hatch. :o
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

sprucebunny

I REALLY wish I had a picture !!! I finally saw a bird that I always wanted to see. An Indigo Bunting ! The books say they are around the Eastern US in the summer but I'd never seen one. They are a beautiful dark blue  8) I was so excited that I bought a lottery ticket :D but seeing the bird was more fun ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

OneWithWood

We occasionally see Indigos around our place.  They certainly are beautiful and a treat to see.
Check off another bird on your lifetime list!
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Norm

I looked out the window this morning and there was an Indigo Bunting fighting with his reflection on my truck mirror.  :D

They are quite common on our farm but I always stop to appreciate their beautiful color.

Roxie

Well, maybe y'all could answer a question for me.  We put up a blue bird house this spring.  The bird that is inside is brilliant blue, but is darker than I remember bluebirds, and this bird has more white on it's chest.  Is that an Indigo bunting?  Will they use a bluebird house? 

Inquiring minds need to know.   :)
Say when

OneWithWood

To the best of my knowledge (which is always suspect) the male indigo shows no white.  It is a deep blue with small black bands on the wing.  The female is a rather plain brown bird.
The eastern bluebird has some white low on the belly but the breast is more orange to brown.
You may have seen a mountain bluebird which has more white and no brown.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Norm

The males Indigo Buntings I've seen have no white on their breast and the females are as Robert said. I think you have a bluebird Roxie, they can have some light patches on their breast around here but not white. You are quite a ways east of me so the local ones may be different than ours.

SwampDonkey

I keep my eye out for the scarlet tanager. I usually only see one nesting pair, and some summers none at all.

I have not seen the Baltimore oriel in 10 years up here, and the barn swallow was nearly wiped out here in 1996 from a very cold May. Used to be hundreds here on the wires and now maybe 2 or 3 pair.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Roxie

I wish I had a telephoto lens, it would make things so much easier.  I just got the binoculars out and what I assume is he, is sitting on the top of the birdhouse.  The color of this bird is Lapis Blue or an electric Royal Blue.  He has a completely white breast and abdomen all the way up to his throat and cheeks.  Their is a black mask around the eyes and the rest of the bird is this atonishing color of deep blue.  I've seen blue birds, but this doesn't look like any blue bird that is common around here.  There isn't a speck of orange or red or brown on this fella.  There is a female inside sitting the nest and I can see her poke her head outside.  She also has a white throat and cheeks, but the rest of her coloring is difficult to discern. 

The only bluebird I'm familiar with is the Eastern Bluebird.  This is not an Eastern Bluebird. I've never seen a Mountain Bluebird, Onewithwood.  Does this description fit?  This birds only colors are blue, white and some black.

Say when

SwampDonkey

Roxie, are you sure it's not a tree swallow?

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bitternut

Roxie I think Donkey has pegged your nesting bird. I get lots of tree swallows in my blue bird boxes. Thats why I always place two boxes within about ten feet of each other. I get tree swallows in one of them and a pair of blue birds in the other. The swallows will not allow another pair of swallows near their nest box but will allow the blue birds.

Check the box to see if the nest has feathers in it and white eggs. If it does its a tree swallow for sure. Nice birds to have around as well as the blue birds.

I have indigo buntings at my feeder. They will take black oil sunflower seeds and niger seeds. They don't stay long like some of the other birds.

I also get orioles at my hummingbird feeders. I get baltimores and orchard orioles. I have a couple of larger feeders that I remove the bee guards to make it easier for them to feed. Orioles also go quite readily to suet.

Roxie

SwampDonkey wins the prize!   8)  It is indeed a Tree Swallow, and I've never seen one before.  How cool is that?   :)

Tom sent me a link that lets ya look these critters up by color and I found a picture and sure nuff, it's a Tree Swallow.

Bitternut, you sure know your birds! 
Say when

thecfarm

I've only seen a Indigo Bunting  once in my area.Not all that common around here.I had to get the bird book out to find out what it was.The Baltimore Orioles are back.But they won't stay long here,maybe a couple weeks.We put out the oranges for them.We bought a special feeder for them.That was a waste of money.Where my wife use to live they stay down there all summer long and so does the Cardinals.She only lived about ½ an hour from here.That's the only thing she misses when I bought her out in the country.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Onthesauk

Our first Western Tanagers are back this week.  Little bit early.  They usually return about the time the salmon berries start to ripen.  Probably the most colorful bird we have here in the NW.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

beenthere

DonK
Have those bluebird eggs hatched yet? 

I took this picture of the hatchlings in my bluebird house. I don't think they are bluebirds, but will keep a close eye out as they grow. Not much 'mother' activity that I have noticed. Usually the bluebird parents are very active when there are young in their nest box. Another clue I don't think they are bluebirds.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don K

Beenthere, Me and Stew peeked in there yesterday and one of the five eggs had hatched probably just that morning. Little bitty pink naked thang. I imagine the rest will be hatched by this afternoon. I will check and get a pic if I can remember this evening when I get home from work. I kinda feel like a granddaddy :D :D ;D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Don K

Ok, here is what I found when I peeked in the box.

4 out of 5 eggs have hatched . I am hoping for 100%. I whistled lightly and they popped up like a jack-in-the-box. :D

I'll add pics as they grow.    Don

WDH

DonK,

That is how my dogs look about 6:00 p.m. every day :D.  Those are cool little birds.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don K

What's funny is about 25 yds away are two big brushpiles for burning(if we ever get any rain) and the last four birds that hatched out are staying close to home perched up there. If I can get some more boxes up for next year I might have a population explosion. ;D

DanG

Linda had a high speed, close encounter with a large bird the other night.  She was on the way to work about 10:30pm when a large, light colored bird swooped down over the highway and collided with the windshield.  It left a large crack in the glass and mangled the radio antenna pretty badly.  We think it was probably an owl, since it was at night.  Gotta call the insurance company tomorrow. :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Patty

Our little humming birds are back in full force. They are enjoying the nectar from our south flower garden. It is cool because we can see this flowerbed from inside the house. The little guys are there every morning and evening. We noticed more out on the clover patches near the dam. I think we may ahave a few nesting in the area this year.  8) 
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Tom

Glad she wasn't hurt, DanG. If you have comprehensive, Florida's insurance law allows replacement without a deductible.

I've never seen a hummingbird nest before.  It always amazed me that they migrated to South America.  Which, brings to mind the eco-argument that everyone should replace their SUV with a Mini.   That's what the hummingbirds do.  Drive to South America on a 50cc engine on a bicycle.  :D

sprucebunny

Cerulean Warbler

This small blue songbird is threatened by the fragmentation of the forests here, where they breed, and in the Andes Mountains where they winter.

I found out about them while looking for a particular birdcall that I hear alot, both where I live and at my woodlot. Turns out that this bird is the one making all the noise  I hope to actually see one, someday !

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/CEWAP/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerulean_Warbler

http://www.abcbirds.org/international/cerw.htm
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

There are so many warbler species I can't begin to keep half of them straight in my mind. There was a flock of yellow rumped warbler here for a few days, then they migrated onward to the north to nest in softwood forest. Don't see a one now. I know they do a number on the insects, they were feeding like crazy here for a few days.

Thank You Sponsors!