iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Diameter of the hole makes a difference to and I don't remember the proper diameter.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

I visited our property this weekend and took a few pictures. I discovered this timberdoodle (woodcock) doing his dance in the cabin driveway when I returned from putting up an automatic feeder on our property.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

He looks cold.   :D

Jeff

I think hes a star....

Here is his video. ;D

Doin da timberdoodle!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Tom
He'll warm up if'n he gets back ta doodlin...... ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

Roxie

8) 8)  Thanks for the Timber Doodle dance!   :D
Say when

isawlogs

Swamp

Hole dimentions for bluebird house

• 1 1/8 " horizontal slot at the top
  • 1 3/8 " X 2 1/4 " Oval hole
  • 1 1/2 "
  • Holes should be 6 1/2 " from bottom of box
  • floor 4 " X 4 "

I have yet to see a bird house plan for Blue bird that have a hole in the  bottom ... I have seen plans for a house to discourage Sparrows from entering witht the slot openning , That is my plan for this morning ...  :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Norm

That's funny....Michael Jackson's got nothing on that little guy. :D

SwampDonkey

Yes, I've been seeing the woodcock this past week in the woods. It's funny, there could be a small patch of bare ground and those things will be sitting in it with a cover of hardwoods or alders. Darn near step on them. They make the weirdest mating calls I ever heard when flying straight up in the sky and making almost 90 degree turns. Been seeing a lot of snipe to. Today, the plantation I was marking out had 3 or 4 pairs, seemed to always be in pairs. Seen a moose, a grouse and a deer as well. Yesterday seen where a bear was rolling in the snow with the cubs and looked like they was wrestling and pulling out hair in little chunks. I got one guy petrified of bears, I'll put him in that block.  :D :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don K

Cfarm, We have the eastern down here as well. I have a batch about ready to fly too. I will try to get a picture today of them im the box. Maybe catch the male on top. I am seeing a increase in the amount of bluebirds. I guess all us boys with bb guns being threatened with bodily harm when I was young sure helped the population. The law still applies for my stepson and nephews and cousins. :D
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Mooseherder

Hope dis Stork is fer someone else. ;D

Don K

I got a picture of the baby bluebirds today, but did not have time to get mom and dad to trust me enough to get a good pic of them. It won't be long and they will fly and we can start all over

I might try to get the parents use to getting meal worms out of a feeder and then they will be ok with me being close enough for pics.   

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

SwampDonkey

Funny how the babies fit so tight in the tiny nest.  :) Never seen blue birds here, other than blue jays and northern perulas.

Don K

There are four babies in there. That is the usual number of eggs they lay. I look for these to be gone by the end of next week. I'll clean out the box and they will probably nest two more times this summer.

They sure was trying to keep a low profile when I was snapping that picture. :D 

Don

Norm

Great pictures guys, I've never seen a stork before but we have bluebirds here. Yesterday I saw the first ones this year, seems we have some that are migrating through and then later we get the ones that stay and nest all year. While raising their young they are great for keeping the bugs down. They'll sit on the overhead service waiting for something to show up on the gravel road underneath and then swoop down to get it. One of my favorite birds.

Onthesauk

Mid morning yesterday, sitting on the tractor and tilling the garden, looked out across my lawn/pasture and here is a little mallard hen with a dozen ducklings behind her, struggling through the needs-to-be-mowed grass.  At that point she is nearly 100 yards from any water but must have been moving them from one creek to another.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Jeff B on April 22, 2007, 10:15:42 PM
I visited our property this weekend and took a few pictures. I discovered this timberdoodle (woodcock) doing his dance in the cabin driveway when I returned from putting up an automatic feeder on our property.

Found a nest of 4 eggs on Friday, almost stepped on the new family.

Don K

As predicted my baby bluebirds flew the coop this week. I cleaned out the old nest Fri. and I noticed this morning as I sat on the front porch enjoying a cup of coffee that they are busy building a new nest. I will try to get pics as the family progresses from start to finish.

Don

sawguy21

There is a porch overhanging my entrance and the swallows have nested behind a loose ceiling panel. The little ones really kicked up a fuss when I walked under it a few minutes ago,  ;D must have thought the parents were returning with dinner.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Mooseherder

Alot of activity here this morning with this egyptian goose quacking a 5 alarm alert. Dare is Trouble in da pond. :D

Here comes Backup. :D

These 4 River Otters came fishing without a permit. ;D

Great Blue Herons aren't Afraid of Otters. They like to harass them and steal the otters fish. This Heron was waiting for the fresh fish. And then in hot pursuit when otter ran to neighbors pond.

And the last Pic.  An otter having enough of the Goose yacking and chasing off.

thecfarm

Them blue herons are funny looking flying.Thier wing go up and down so slow.I saw one taking off from a tree while driving down the road.I almost went off the road watching it.This one had to crunch way down and than leap off the branch.First it was 4 feet tall,than it was a foot tall.Looked real odd,but it worked for him.Saw one fly right up the road here once.Was about 6 feet off the ground.Good thing it's a dead end dirt road.Nice pictures.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Don K

The bluebirds have rebuilt the nest I removed from the box last week and have laid a new batch of eggs. This will be the second hatching this year. I will post pics of the babies when they hatch. I hope for three broods this year from this pair. :)   
Don

SwampDonkey

Here's a neat wetland bird.  ;D

American bittern in some wetland near my woodlot.  :)

Bye bye buddy.  ;D

Sounds

Larry

Hoot

Hoot Hoot
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!