iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onthesauk

Standing in the river fishing yesterday, 34° and pouring down rain when a small hawk came sailing by.  In discussions with my nephew, who is an ornatholigist, determined that it was either a merlin or a peregrine.  Looking at where they winter, think it must be a peregrine.  Pretty cool.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

SwampDonkey

I've seen a few merlin out on the coast, specifically on the 'Charlottes'. Peregrine are known to be there as well. The fishing lodge was named for them, thus Peregrine Lodge. One guy I was cruising with saw a pair of hawks on one of our blocks. I saw them also as they were over our heads in the branches of a hemlock screeching like crazy. We never saw a nest, and at time we didn't know the species. As it turns out raptors are protected out there, so we have to watch for nests, and Peregrine is high on the list. Well, my cruising partner claimed we found a nesting pair of Peregrines and that he saw baby birds in the nests. He told the company supervisor and I didn't even know until one of their wildlife guys asked me about it.

Wait a minute, what nest, what baby birds? So he and I went out to the cruising plot for an inspection. There was no sign of birds or any nest. I described what we saw as far as size and plumage and he thought that it was likely a pair of merlin. I've since looked it up and that fits what I saw and we have a lot of them here in the summer that roost on the hydro wires in open fields.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

I was going to mention further about the eagles. In both Prince Rupert and Queen Charlotte City, if you want to see eagles with little effort, just go to the dumps. They are as thick as ravens and sea gulls. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Charges will be filed February 5, 2007 concerning the damages caused to the blue heron nesting colony by a provincial forest company based in Saint John. A fine up to $1M and/or 6 months jail time is the maximum sentence for the offense. Not looking good for the forest operations supervisor.

Onthesauk

We have a tavern here in the NW with a blue heron rookery in the cottonwoods next door.   Environmentalists enjoyed sitting out on the deck with a cold brew and watching the herons return in the evening.  Until the local bald eagles began to clean them out.  Great consternation!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Mooseherder

This feller was waking up the whole neighborhood this morning with his quacking.
Looked in the North American Bird book for the identity but couldn't find his flavor.

Steve

Could that be the proverbial "odd duck"?

Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Mooseherder

Turns out we think this is an Egyptian Goose. From the research we found the female does the Honking. This is far from it's range. I Think it is lost.

beenthere

Gonna name this goose "Roxie"  ? ::)                  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

Neighbor just sent me this pic he took of the bluebirds today at his bird waterer (heated, but air temp at -5° F).

Pretty amazing. There are four of them been around the last few days, 'cording to his wife.

Wondrin what they are eating?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

You know, that looks a lot like the Northern Parula, but neither bird inhabits this far north in the winter. The parula winters in the tropics, and the blue bird winters in the southern US and Mexico. I do know that a few people confuse the two birds. The parula has some white markings around it's eye and darker wings, with yellow-green saddle. And it's plumage is more of a blue-gray, compared to indigo-blue of the blue bird. Parula nests almost exclusively in old growth softwood stands with Spanish moss (south) or old man's beard lichen (north)

beenthere

I'll try not to do this every year, but a while ago I thought there was some thunder, then upon checking the thumping, found ol Tom waltzing with he's reflection in the window. Took several flash pics, and this is but one.  Notice how the red shirt has shrunk up around the upper neck.............. ;D

south central Wisconsin

Mooseherder

Is that Baker Blue face? :D

Norm

Invite him in for Thanksgiving dinner. ;D

Tom

Yessiree!  Tha's Ol' Tom Turkey.

Tha's what happens when you're born on the 25th of November.   The sun and moon get just right and your reflection changes.  It must be the Lunar eclipse causing it this time.  :D

SwampDonkey

Reminds me of the episode of Cheers where the bar regulars and Sam were going off to be men at a remote mountain cabin. They got there and realized there are no modern conveniences including refrigeration, so the food was going to spoil. They had no phone to call the camp owner to come get them and they were on there own. A turkey walked by the cabin as one of them are outside gathering wood. Well, you can pretty much guess what happened to Tom. ;D

Tom

This old curmudgeon would be a handful.  ....and probably tought too.  :D

Jeff

Today we had a real experience in Tom's swamp. We had an owl let us get up close and personal. I started taking pictures from afar, and before it was over, Mr. Owl was letting me stand right under him with my camera on a stick! I was able to take all kinds of photos and a few shaky videos. I almost hit him with my stick once in accident and he flew to the next tree but even a lower branch. He spent the whole afternoon allowing jtmccallum and I to observe him.  I got him with some super resolution so have some real good photos to print if I wish. When many of the photos were taken the camera was with 6 or 8 feet. Tom sat across the pond with his field glasses observing us observing the owl.  The owl would blink and twist his head, and even fall asleep after a bit. He was a bit shy to begin with but seemed to have zero fear of us after a short time. (the owl, not Tom)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furby

I do belive it's a Barred Owl.
How'd it taste ???

Jeff

It is, and I imagine they taste a lot like spotted owl.  :)

Onthesauk

My nephew has worked all over the world on bird projects.  Many time netting and banding or just base counts on projects.  He tells about being able to walk right up to owls and pick them up, many have virtually no fear of humans.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

SwampDonkey

There's an old owl around here to. But, he's too shy to get any more than a 1/4 mile to him. I here him in the mornings once in awhile, but he's 1/2 mile or more away when I here him in the woods. I have not idea what species he is and would likely have to look it up unless it was a horned owl or a snowy.

Bro. Noble

SD,  I can identify two kinds of owls a half mile away ;D  If it's a barred owl, it will always hoot five times and then wait a little while before hooting again.  The other one I can identify is a screech owl :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Jeff

pappy

I had to take the wood ashes bucket out to be dumped behind the house... I see some feathers barely showing through the snow.. Whats this a Partridge ?, stick my foot under and flip what ever it was to the surface and loe and be hoe up pops this Great Horned Owl on it's back froze as froze can be...

I'm guessing that it dived into the snow to strike a ruffed grouse or other critter and broke its neck...

I've looked into trying to keep it and have it mounted but that ain't gonna happen!!!  I first spoke with the local Game Warden and he says they send them to a depository for testing to try and find out the cause of death... I suppose with bird flu and all we must be carfull...  Then a friend of mine knows the Fish and Game commissioner and other higher ups. He spoke with the second in charge anyway and told him it's a federal offense to have one in your possession!!!  We were also told the only places that can have them is Fish and Wildlife facilities and schools...

The local Game Warden hasn't picked it up yet (been about 6 weeks now) and I'm trying to find people at either the High School or the college in town that might want it...  I was told it would run around $500 bucks to have it mounted!!!
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Thank You Sponsors!