Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

WOW :o He has some fantastic shots. I'm jealous :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Onthesauk

This fellow is really hard to see, visable in profile but almost disappears when you look at him against the tree trunk.  A barred owl, in the trees just over my cats.  Believe they just ended up hunting the same territory but not certain.  Sat in the tree long enough for me to walk up the hill for my camera and back.  And in the middle of the day! 

John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Tom

My Mother was always afraid that an owl would get our cat.

SwampDonkey

One did get my uncle's white barn cat. He had seen it hanging around the barn (owl) and soon the kitty was not to be found.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Onthesauk

Noticed today that there is a squirrel working the big leaf maples in that same area so have a feeling that is what he was looking for.  He's about the same size as the cats so think he might have a real fight on his hands if he tries.  Beautiful birds though.

I stuffed and mounted birds when I was a kid.  Had a great horned owl mounted in my bedroom over the bed.  We had a big storm one night and something banging on the porch knocked the owl loose.  I woke up in the morning, eyeball to eyeball with the bird!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

SwampDonkey

Reported by CBC:

Between 12 and 20 heron nests were destroyed when a forest company built a wide track through its property this summer. The nests were part of a large colony, and the incident has sparked an investigation by the Canadian Wildlife Service.

The birds, and their nests, are protected under federal legislation.

CBC News has obtained copies of the search warrants and supporting documents executed as part of the CWS investigation.

A judge granted the Wildlife Service warrants to search two company offices in Sussex.  Investigators seized approximately 70 documents, computer files, and maps from the offices.

No accompanying photos.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

The crows are gathering for another trip south toward warmer climate.  ;D

SwampDonkey

Photos taken 20 minutes ago today after he scared the daylights out of me. ;D

SwampDonkey

These guys landed in the plowed field behind the house an hour ago.

Mooseherder

This Red Tail Hawk was on the prowl for field mice.

beenthere

Finally caught this Pileated Woodpecker on camera. We've had a pair in our woods for the 38 years we've been here, and most times can hear them, and on occasion see them. This old white oak 10 yards from the house has caught one's attention this past week, and I've been trying to get a pic. Finally did it. Took several, but this one is the best profile pic.

Went out after he flew away, to get a tape in the pic where he was feasting. Looks to be about 12-14" high on the tree.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Beenthere, I chased one along an old logging road last fall and every time I brought the camera up for a snap he with flicker off or go on the back side of a tree. All I got was blurred images.  :-\ I see one in my yard sometimes around an old maple yard tree that has a rotten branch. I chase him off because I don't want it full of holes and have it come down faster than need be.  ::)

Onthesauk

Couple of summers ago I had a pair of young ones hanging around the yard one day.  Just like gawky teenagers, kind of tumbling over each other as they chased around the yard.  Still didn't have that flying stuff down pat yet.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Tom

I had one that was working an oak tree not 10 feet from my deer stand back in 1972.  He was dismanteling that tree as efficiently as a wrecking crew takes down a house. 

He was so interesting that now I look for them when I hear them in the swamp.  They will take down a pine tree with whacks that send 6"shards of wood flying.  There is no "rat-a-tat-tat" but rather a "Whack-whack-whack". 

CHARLIE

For many years I duck hunted in the backwaters of the Mississippi River at a place called Reno. Too, me 20 minutes of walking and some slogging through bogs to get to my hunting spot. On slow days I'd enjoy watching Pileated woodpeckers (they have a terrible squawk) and downy woodpeckers and many other birds of the forests.  One Fall, I was fishing with my Uncle and cousin in Park Falls, Wisconsin and I saw more red headed woodpeckers than I'd ever seen in one place in my life. They must've been migrating or something because there were lots and lots of them. A beautiful sight. :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Ron Scott

I'm seeing more and more piliated woodpeckers lately. Nice to see in the woods and an indicator species of old growth forests. I had one working around my deer blind the first day of season last week until it started working on the tree right at the door into the blind.

I had to open the door and scare it away for some quite again.

~Ron

SwampDonkey

I see them in mature aspen, kind of tipping toward over mature. I found a nest site (I think) the other day in a big old aspen along the road. Maybe I can take a shot tomorrow. It was about half way up the tree and the top of the aspen is dead I think, bud has some live laterals lower down. I'de say the diameter of the cavity hole is a good 5 inches.

SwampDonkey

Here is the shot of a nesting cavity. I can't be 100 % certain it's a pileated cavity, but I see them around the area hammering at old snags. I also see hairy wood peckers as well, but the cavity is quite big for a small woodpecker. Usually the pileated make a square hole when searching for bugs, not sure about nesting cavity holes.

Larry

Not much fun when ya fire one shot and get your limit...plus a limit for all your neighbors. ;D ;D  At one time I think the geese were covering about 80 acres and not more than 6" away from each other.

Going back tomorrow with slingshots...just to make it interesting. ;D

Corn field in the Missouri River bottoms.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

sawguy21

That is a lot of T-day and Christmas dinners. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

I meant to take a picture of the 12 foot tall pink flamingos in Houghton Lake today but got distracted.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Larry

Your pink flamingos wouldn't even be knee high on our goose.  I've heard everything is much smaller in the far north due to the short growing season. :D :D

Worlds Largest Goose

See...ya learned something new today...you can tell all your friends where the worlds biggest goose lives. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Jeff

Quote from: Larry on December 10, 2006, 07:37:50 PM
I've heard everything is much smaller in the far north due to the short growing season. :D :D

Not to ruin your joke  ;) and to change the subject just a moment and also to give my best Cliff from cheers imitation, Actually, thats not correct. Did you know that some of the worlds largest veggies are grown in none other then Alaska? They have a short growing season yes, but its an intense growing season as there are many more hours of day light then we have. I think the same goes for the critters. Even in the U.P. we notice how things grow like crazy during the short growing season.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mooseherder

This is Annie, our friends Pacific Blue Parrotlet.  The Christmas dress was actually off a Wine Bottle. smiley_alcoholic_01
She loved it and posed in front of her little Christmas Tree.

gary

This owl is in my warehouse

Thank You Sponsors!