iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ron barnes and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

UNCLEBUCK

I have had many woodpeckers fly into the glass doors and make a good thump noise , if I can get to it before my 2 dogs I will lay the bird in a safe place while its bloody nose stops and after about 15 minutes of trying to get its legs it eventually takes off . Many I thought were dead but most take a little time and off they go . Good bird pics everybody , now I am going to look at pappy's hummingbird link .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

pappy

We've got a Ruffed Grouse hangin' out right behind the house... How can you tell you ask??? just listen to this... He's been doin' it for about 3 or 4 weeks now... He must be one heck of a stud or there ain't no ladies around... ;D

http://www.ruffedgrousesociety.org/Sounds/drumming.wav

More info about em...

http://www.ruffedgrousesociety.org/ruffed_facts.asp

Buck,, we do the same thing when one of the little ones hits the glass... we've gotten alot fewer glass slams since we moved the bird feeder away from the house ::)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

SwampDonkey

I was using some really bright orange ribbon the other day marking the perimeter of my thinning and a hummer was going nuts over that orange flagging. Once in awhile he'd almost clip me by the ears as he zoomed by. :D :D :D :D Getting dangerous out there in the bushes. :D :D

Those 'ruffies' don't seem to get scared of the brush saws like they do if you just walk by one. I've heard quite a few this spring in my thinning blocks beating it up. ;D Alot of woodcock to, you can almost step on them. Also, seen quite a few tiny bird nests, some I think are warblers by the design and size of their nests. I've seen quite a few that were almost 100 % made of yellow birch bark, some just hang down like a tiny basket. You never see that stuff if you carry a camera around all day.  :-\
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Some of you that came to last years pig roast may remember Carolyn.  She was here today with her mum and she and I found this bird in our pool. ;D

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

We decided they taste like chicken. :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

UNCLEBUCK

Those birds just hatched here too Jeff , they are everywhere  :)

I left the door open in the woodshop last few weeks and got me a fresh barn swallow nest almost done on the cieling so I decided to close the door before they set eggs , sure felt bad closing the door after they went to all that work hauling mud and straw .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Patty

We have a bunch of really angry barn swallows here today. Norm destroyed their happy home yesterday. ::)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

SwampDonkey

I can remember them when we had them in great numbers they would swoop and almost nip you on the ears. We had a cat that was always a target for the swallows in the yard. I always thought of their attack chirp as the sound of a pare of scissors as they swoop down on you as if to cut a lock of hair. :D

I've caught them in fish nets and the biggest part of them are their wings. Such a tiny body.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Dragon flies or Mosquito Hawks were quick and easy pets when I was little.  If you stood still, one might light on you.   We would, sometimes, tie a piece of thread around his body and walk around with him flying circles around our head.   When fishing, no cane pole was complete without one or two resting in the tip.  In the evening, the air would be full of them.  They are a really neat insect.  One would never guess that the immature stage was a super bad, aggressive, vicious and voracious nymph that feeds on beetles, small fish and worms on the bottom of a pond.

Ianab

Actually they dont change much, the adult dragon flies are carnivorus insects that feed on mossies and moths. While they dont live long as adults (3 or 4 weeks) compared to several years as a nymph, I guess they need the occasional snack to keep them going... every topic comes back to food  ;) :D

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

They are realy active in grain fields hunting beetles too. I see all kinds during harvest season (August-Sept).

bitternut

Here is a young kestrel I found sitting on my woodpile yesterday. I have a nest box located a few feet away that is usually occupied by a pair and this year was no exception. They always seem to come out of the box before they can really fly. I was really tempted to keep this little guy as a pet but decided that the best thing was to leave it where I found it. Always wanted to keep one for a pet. Had a red tailed hawk when I was kid but he was pretty wild and tough to handle. This little guy let me pick him up and would just sit on your hand. Always find chipmunk tails around the box and under a dead elm where they sit.

Roxie

What a great picture! 

If the boss hears about the chipmunk capability, he'll be wanting one!   :D
Say when

SwampDonkey

We have alot of them here that sit on the hydro wires adjacent to grassy fields.

Mooseherder

This Hawk was stirring up the neighborhood this evening trying to get at some Baby Bluejays.  He got run off by 3 little birds. Got lucky to get this one on his flight to a perch.

Onthesauk

I know we have night hawks in the NW, but don't see them often, haven't seen any for a couple of years.  They seem to come in for a hatch of particuar bug or something.  Earlier this week I was down at the neighbors, sitting out on the patio for that last hour before dusk.  Swallows working up high and then an occasional night hawk.  Pretty soon there was another and within ten minutes there were 6 of them working directly overhead, no more they 30 or 40 feet up.  Beautiful birds to watch!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

SwampDonkey

We have night hawks here too. Hear their wings as they dive for bugs. When we used to go camping and fishing you'de here them all night. Vrooooooom ;D

pappy

American Bald Eagle in moon light

This picture was taken by a friend of a friend in Presque Isle Maine... They called it "Timing" ... How true!! and how many times ya see something super like this and ya ain't got a camera!!
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

SwampDonkey

I'll second that. That's a really nice snap pappy. Thanks for sharing.  8)  :)

Onthesauk

Amazing photo! 

Funny thing about birds, (and especially hawks for me,) no matter how many I've seen I will still find myself slowing down to look or pulling off to watch.  Never tire of them.

Had a young sharp shinned hawk playing with a couple of flickers down in our meadow earlier this week.  Tree to tree and scolding each other but not trying to hurt anyone.  Just learning the neighbors I think.

John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Dan_Shade

is it possible to get a copy of that bald eagle picture in a higher resolution?  it's amazing
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

beenthere

If that is an original photo, unretouched, it seems like your friend should copywrite it and see if it is marketable.
I agree that it is a fantastic photo.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pappy

Dan,
I'll check w/ the friend that sent it to me and see if he has a better res of it... The one I have here is only  73.7 KB... If every thing is OK with them I'll get ya a copy..

pap

pappy

Dan,
Here's a link to the photographers web site...

http://www.crownofmaine.com/paulcyr/main.php?g2_page=5

he's got lots of great shots over there!!! ::)  The guy is   GOOD !!!

pap

Mooseherder

Wow, that guy is good. And a CYR!

Thank You Sponsors!