iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Furby I saw hundreds of Robins this past week.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Tom, did W. C. Fields have Chickadees perching on his nose? :D :D :D

Another friend in the woods to most loggers in the north, is the Canada Jay. It's also known as the 'Wiskey Jack'. Loggers around the lumber camp would dip bread in wiskey and feed these 'gorbies' all they'd eat, sack and hide. Funny part of it was, there's often blue jays around and they'de steal the 'Wiskey Jacks' stash, sometimes a raven would get in on the deal too. :D :D

Once those 'Whiskey Jacks' learn that your friendly they'll eat the bread out of your hands. I'de never feed'm whiskey though. That's too mean.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

The South don't count this time of year Jeff! ;)

sawguy21

Those whiskey jacks are cheeky devils and a hoot to watch. They will steal food off yer plate while your holding it  :D I once watched them with an apple core. The first two inspected and left it but when the third carried it back to the tree, the fight was on.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

Just a week later, the tom turkey's were back, and pecking at my shop window again. I walked up to the window to take pics of just a few feet away, and then one with the strutting tom inches away. Hoping they get over this habit of pecking at the glass, because it's 1/8" storm pane that isn't that strong.
The first pic is of the strutting tom, strutting for his 6 buddies ( no hens around ::) ) and the second after the strutter mosey'd over to the window for a portrait. They seem to come around about once a week. Interesting colors that well up into their head when strutting this time of year.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

They don't seem to be very timid do they? They are nice looking birds. Thanks for sharing. :)

I have a couple ravens that hang around the yard for bread I toss out. If I as much as come to a window to watch them they take off. They are very wary of their surroundings.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Nova

Love this thread.  My wife and I live on the outskirts of Halifax and are blessed to have a bit more of the winged kingdom than those closer to the center.  There is a swamp/stream about 200 feet from our boundary line and 300 feet from our house.  On the edge of that swamp a nesting pair of osprey live and several pairs of loons as well.  When we first lived here it was not uncommon to have bald eagles in the area but as the suburbs push out to meet us (and soon pass us  :(  )  the bald eagles, deer and bears are becoming less common.  By the by, I don't miss the bears :D.  We are now in the process of getting ready to build a house in the Annapolis Valley, about 90 minutes to the west of where we live now.  Just this morning on our way there saw a bald eagle fly over the truck, several osprey. and I think a red tailed hawk in the trees on the side of the highway.  If we don't see 5 to 10 hawks/eagles on the drive it is a "slow" day.  The property we are moving to is in an agricultural area and has a very healthy raptor population. 
...No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care...John Maxwell

sprucebunny

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Nova  smiley_turkey_dancing

I am always awed by raptors. Congratulations on your move. Will you be building your own house ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Nova

Thanx SB!  Yes my wife and I will build this house ourselves with the appropriate sub-trades.  We built our current house four years ago with a contractor (I was the laborer/gopher) expecting to stay here for 10 years or so and found that the city decided it wanted to live in the country too :(.  So we bought 40 acres of forest this past summer and have cleared about one and a half acres for the house.  Because about 80% of our trees are hardwood - white ash, poplar, birch, cherry, beech, apple, hop hornbeam, maple and a little bit of red oak - we will purchase a few truckloads of eastern white pine for the frame and use our hardwood for the interior work.  We have a 27hp 8" WPF Peterson mill somewhere in the Pacific as we speak that we will use to cut the lumber and we are jumping into the deep end because we are building a 32' x 36' two story post and beam plus a kiln, out buildings, etc.  Just met with our engineer yesterday and the plans are getting close to completion ;D.
...No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care...John Maxwell

SwampDonkey

I'll say it's the deep end. I hope you can swim. ;D :D

Nova

SwampDonkey, I trained as a lifeguard many moons ago, but I don't think that will help me here ;)

Jeff

I was going to finally get around to taking the wreath off the end of the house since Christmas was almost 5 months ago, but got a surprise when I walked around the end of the house to get it. Heck maybe it'll still be up there for the Pig Roast now.  :)

SwampDonkey

I gotta start taking the digital with me. I keep seeing an American bittern along the ditch down the road. He's in amongst the cat tails and rushes. I've walked up on those darn things a number of times and almost walk right into them before they take to flight. Scare the be-geebers out of me until I realize what creature it is. :D :D Ever see a cat tail with eyes? :D You only see one with a sharp eye if your lucky. They point their bill to the sky and they are so skinny and slick they blend right into the cat tails. Maybe I'll get lucky tommorrow. My luck I'll never see the darn thing again.  ::)

pigman

Jeff, you are not fooling anyone. ;D That is an artificial bird on that wreath. You put it there last fall so you would have an excuse not  have to take the wreath down. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

SwampDonkey

Pretty boy courting his girl.  ;)

He's really gonna impress her now.  :D

I found out in a span of 10 minutes, he definately doesn't practice monogamy.  ::)

beenthere

We may have to begin to worry 'bout SD ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

SwampDonkey

Nova

On our way to continue hacking at our log pile yesterday saw a bald eagle swoop down to the left side of the highway and quickly double back between two lines of traffic to pick up what I assume was some road kill.  The eagle timed it just right and made it without getting nailed by any of the vehicles...I am not sure how many more times that eagle will be so lucky though.  The driver in front of us had the best view as the eagle banked and exposed his full wing span about four feet off the asphalt!  Last week about five miles from that spot saw two bald eagles flying over the highway.  What a magnificent bird.

SwampDonkey

We have alot of them here that nest along the river. Saw one adult and a juvenile today on my way home.

Ron Wenrich

We had one at our place last year.  It was the only bald eagle I have ever seen, in the wild.  It was really unusual for this part of Pennsylvania. 

We are starting to get nesting eagles back along some of our major rivers. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Some people try erecting a platform for them along the river, but they get mostly osprey.

Today when marking out some thinning in the quiet country air, I heard a couple of owls calling one another I assume. I'de say they were horned owls. Probably nesting in a narly old beech on the Crown block (public forest) next door.

pigman

Got a picture a while back of two bald eagles in one tree.  If they  were not mad at each other and were resting a little closer together , I could have gotten a better picture.

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

sawguy21

I had a bald eagle pace me along the ditch at window level as I drove a logging road. I assume it was hunting for mice.  What a sight. 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Norm

While drinking my coffee this morning this little guy and his mate flew into the big elm next to my office window. Apparently didn't like the neighbors as they checked out the housing situation and moved on.

Thank You Sponsors!