iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

Do cardinals expect a certain kind of bird feeder...say maybe a tray feeder ??? They were walking around on the deck looking for seeds and not landing on either perch type feeder.

They would cock thier heads sideways and look at shells. They look so cheerful and festive ;D

There is a small woodpecker that comes and eats seeds every day.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

beenthere

I use an ordinary clear plastic tube feeder that has a tray at the bottom for cardinals, and feed only safflower seed. The birds I don't want will not eat the safflower seed, and birds I do want will eat it.  Squirrels don't eat safflower either.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

Cruising along I-295 this afternoon,  My wife and I saw these Woodstorks standing together on the side of the road at the ditch.  I dont know if this is the same flock that I saw on the road back home but it seems that the numbers are equivelant  and they were within 10 miles of my last sighting.

We turned around at the next exit and went back, turning around at yet another exit to get as close as we could to them.  I got the camera out and stuck it out of the window.  They were way off on the Interstate right of way, next to the ditch, so I was already behind the eight ball.

AS we inched along the emergency area on the side of the road, they marched, hesitatingly, away from us just like herding cattle.  It wasn't long before they flew.  This is all I got. 

One of these days I am going to get a camera with a long lense and get real intimate with these rascals.   Being as rare as they are, it makes me feel good to see them hanging around.  The downside is that the pine plantations they were living in is fast becoming dense, residential housing.  I can just picture some of the Urbanites taking potshots at them with a 22. [/left]

pigman

Took the picture a while back of these birds. If I remember right they were about 3ft tall.  I don't remember what kind of birds they were; can anyone tell me what they are. smiley_headscratch
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Ianab

Emu - from Aussie. They are related to an ostrich I think, but only about 1/2 the size.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

pigman

Thanks Ianab, I took the picture 37 years ago just outside Sydney. No wonder I don't remember what they were.  ;) When my kids saw the picture they wanted to know what kind of bird they were, now I can be knowledgeable and tell them. 8)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Corley5

My neighbor, cousin's husband, was going to make his fortune raising Emus ::)  Didn't work out ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Corley5 on January 01, 2006, 10:33:54 PM
My neighbor, cousin's husband, was going to make his fortune raising Emus ::)  Didn't work out ;) ;D

Same thing was going to happen here. I don't know who talks these people into these 'adventures' ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

CHARLIE

Donna and I spent Christmas (2005) with her father and sisters in Okeechobee, Florida.  He lives on the east bank of the Kissimmee River, not too far from where it empties into Lake Okeechobee.  There are a pair of Sandhill Cranes that have been coming to his front door for the past 3 years for a handout of a couple of handfuls of corn.  It's fun watching them.  They eat about 10 feet from his front door.  We can go outside and they don't spook unless we get too close. They keep an eye on us and if we get into their comfort zone, you can see them getting nervous and they'll walk off to the neighbor's yard.

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

beenthere

Guess these be under 'birds' that showed up under the white oak tree this afternoon. 7 good size Toms and were so close to the window I could stand a few feet away and get their picture. (Not as cute as the one Buzz posted).

Then shortly after, nine jakes showed up and their reflection caught their attention, and they kept pecking at the window glass. I was afraid they would break it, so opened the window after some pics to shoo them away. They left in a hurry. The flash didn't bother them a bit.  ::) ???

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don P

I've had cardinals do that at the window in the shop, a turkey would get your attention rapping on the glass!

We and the mason's were talking at lunch the other day that none of us had seen a turkey around the jobsite. Sure enough, I rolled in Friday morning and 16 were in the yard. After hunting them I do think they are part telepathic  :D.

SwampDonkey

Everybodies buddy in the north woods. Chick-a-dee a dee a dee :)

If I go to the woods without seeing these guys, there's gotta be something wrong and probably not a good sign of things to come.  ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

There has been a campaign going on here in Michigan for some time to make the chickadee the State Bird since it stays here all year long and is a friendly one and indicator species as you stated.
~Ron

sawguy21

I live in the city and really miss those little guys. When they start singing I know it is spring 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Paul_H

What makes my head spin is that when I hear all the birds singing at night in the Spring before they settle down for the night and realise that the ones I'm hearing are only a tiny fraction of the population in this valley. No matter where I was to go,I'd hear them singing,even if I hopped in the truck and drove like a mad man for 20 miles,when I stopped and listened,I'd hear those birds.

Bless em  8)

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Furby

Sure they weren't just in your head Paul ??? ::)

Paul_H

Yeah,and sometimes a Bird will mock me  ;)

Furby

:D :D :D
People always say "a little bird told me", well I only know a handfull of little birds that can talk, so I figure we are in the same boat! ;) ;D

Paul_H

Like I said,bless em eh  ;)

Furby

Um, yeah something like that! ;)

Anyone seeing Robins yet?

SwampDonkey

Unless we get a big dump of snow in March, I'm expecting them then. There is lotsa bare ground here. Down in Sussex my aunt has them all winter around the mountain ash berries. Last year I saw some in February up here but they were mostly in the thickets eating berries and seeds until it warmed up.

Paul_H

Hey Furby,it's interesting that you mentioned Robins last night because there are a whole herd of them in our yard today!

First this year 8)

SwampDonkey

I hope it's a warmer dry spring this year than it's been for the last 3 or so years. We seem to be getting late springs and our summers are running late into early fall. I want it both ways.. :-X never mind.  ::) Come on robins, come bob, bob'n along. :)

Furby

Flock Paul, flock. ;)
You wanna see a herd ???
Come visit!  ;D

Tom

When I hear someone say Chickadee, all I can think of is W.C. Fields and his big red nose.   :D

Thank You Sponsors!