iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewYankeeSawmill and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Norm

I saw a flash of blue from the window this morning and saw this little guy stuffing his beak with dandilion seeds.

bitternut

See, now arn't you glad you didn't spray your lawn with 24d and kill all those dandelions. That Indigo Bunting would have been in sombody else's lawn.

sprucebunny

There is a swath of open area through my land. Some of it was logged off 15? years ago and some has no stumps but plenty of rasberry bushes and a few 4 foot balsam/spruce. I was walking through it yesterday, along the moose trail and a grouse sprung up off it's nest.

Only took a quick pic...didn't want to scare off the mama. Hope the moose don't step on the nest.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

mmmm breakfast  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

Tom Turkey Struts For His Hens. Wheeler Creek wildlife opening; 4/05.

~Ron

Tom

The Wood Storks aren't around much.  Lately we've seen a lot of them.  With all the rain, they are feeding on snails, crawfish, etc in the roadside ditches.

SwampDonkey

Tom

Wow  :o he must've almost landed in the boat. I haven't seen any blue herons this year yet. I guess I haven't been around beaver ponds or shallow lakes yet. Ever see a rookery of herons?

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bro. Noble

Great picture Tom,

Is that where little baby loggers and sawmillers and foresters come from? ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

That's what I've heard, Br'er Noble.  ........and baseball bats too. :D

SwampDonkey

Too many Looney Toons  ;D :D

Haytrader

I was out in the back yard this evening and saw a shadow zoom past me.
Looked up and the sky was full of buzzards.
I guess I had better start moving a little faster.

:D   :D   :D

There must be 50 to 100 of these things every evening circling around headed for thier roost somewhere close.
Haytrader

Tom

The do that over the field next to the house too.  I think they are playing.  It looks like there is an updraft off of the field that they play in.  I've seen them circle upward almost out of sight and then  quickly come down to do it again.  Sometimes they play follow the leader.  Sit out there and watch them for awhile.  You will probably enjoy it as much as I do.  :D

isawlogs

I have a robin that took up some space in my carport ... I am waiting to see how many little ones is going to come out , I haven't yet gone to see how many eggs there is in there, maybe tonight I will climb the ladder for a peek .

Built its nest wight on the beam ... I call him my rigger robin .  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Robins are on their second crop here. They've built a new nest out front in a white birch crotch. Not far from the cherry trees either. And last night I got invaded by the coons.

Ron Scott

Robin's Nest In Bicycle. This bicycle is hanging over the bunk house door of a ranch in Fairfield, Montana. The robin has taken over ownership by placing its nest above the chain sprocket. June, 2005.

~Ron

Timburr

Talking of second crops, we have a resident blackbird who has nested in our front hedge for the last 5 years....we know it's the same one, 'cos she has a war wound under her left eye.
Unbelieveably on the 23 January 2004, when the snow was on the ground, I noticed that she had hatchlings..... unfortunately they didn't survive, because of cold and lack of food. But, between Jan. and the end of July, she had another 3 broods. Wow, what a dedicated mother!!
The success of this wise old bird, was due to her nesting adjacent to a very busy road, making it a cat free zone and having an ample food supply about 300 metres away. She was totally streetwise with traffic.
She's gone now, and I look forward to her return next year. I say this with compassion because she has become one of the family.
Sense is not common

pigman

Since the witch wife and I are plannng to to be at the piggy roast this year  we are preparing things for all of our creatures. The cows will be ok since I moved them away from the mud hole. ::) We will put out extra food for the two cats. The dog stays at the neighbors most of the time anyway. :( But we are going to have to find someone to come in everday and feed these creatures. The two containers have to be filled up every day. Looks to be about 10 of them here this year. If I can't find any one to feed them the wife will just have to stay home and feed them. ;) :D

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Don P

Mom sent us this link today. Hummingbirds from egg to flight, 21 days. Click "next page" at the bottom of each page till you get to page 6 to see the whole event, pretty neat.

http://community-2.webtv.net/Velpics/HUM/

They've been using our feeder so hard that Michelle had one try to land on it today while she was hanging it back out. I poked the hanger wire thru a spray can lid and dripped wax in that to seal the hole, then filled that upside down lid with water to keep the ants somewhat out of it...some of the little buggers still swim the channel for a taste of the sweets. We just use clear sugar water, the hummers seem just as happy.

Furby

That's DanG cool! 8) 8) 8)
I've done that with several nests, but never had the chance to document humming birds.

SwampDonkey

That's cool Don. Great pitures with a story. Thanks for sharing. :) I have a couple pair of hummers here, but have never found their nests.

Tom

That is a cute little nest for such an aggressive little bird.   

I don't think they nest around here.  Maybe just pass through.  It's probaby because of slowness of the society down here.  We get in their way.   :D

I remember a science fiction story where folks began hearing a buzzing and couldn't figure out where it was coming from.   It turned out that there are co-mingling universes and they run at different speeds.  Ours and this one particular one had, for some reason, approached similar enough speeds that some of the sounds, and eventually, some of the sights of the two could be detected by the other side.   It was an anomoly and soon cleared itsself up though.   

I think it might have been a  "Twighlight Zone" show.    buzzzzzzz-zz   buzzzz

Don P

I remember that one Tom, we've had a few laughs referring to that and wondering what the hummers think of us, we probably need orange triangles on the back of our t-shirts  :D. I'm constantly thinking "slow down bud, you could put an eye out with that thing"

They remind me of seahorses when they curve their body to hover and take a sip.

I think I've got an idea for the new company T's  :D

sprucebunny

Bird report from my cornor of the world ;D

Saw a gret blue heron the other day.  The Canada geese finally headed south instead of north and I had 3 cardinals at my bird feeder yesterday.... don't think I've ever seen a cardinal before. They look like they are made up for a pointy-heads-party :D

Found a humming bird nest in a tree in the yard. It was very cute. Maybe next year I will put some sugarwater out for them.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Patty

That's pretty cool Joan! The cardinals are gathering here too; they nest down in the woods along the creek.  You can feed them (they like sunflower seeds) and they will stay in your yard all winter. The humming birds love the sugar water, and they also love lots of bright colored flowers. We like to plant red salvias under the windows so we can watch them up close. Our pond in front of the house attracts to blue herons, we have them stealing fish all summer. We used to shoot them on site, but now have decided to just throw a few more fish into the pond instead, and let them eat as much as they want. They are kind of neat to watch.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

SwampDonkey

We have seen cardinals on very rare occasions in winter around the feeder. It's really not their normal range up here. The snow buntings have arrived, I saw a flock today and herd them in the fields a weeks ago. The geese are still milling around here. I still see robins in the woods. I saw a pileated woodpecker the other day and took a picture, but it was too blurry to see. I see the blue herons in the creek and around beaver ponds, they'll soon be gone. Although I did see one in December last year along the creek by my woodlot. I see chickadees in flocks now around the house and I've seen evening grosbeaks around the seeds on the boxelders.

Thank You Sponsors!