iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

tnlogger

joan seeing how good was catching thut there porky. i thing all oe us would like a lesson in the art of
cactchin the there honkers, but make sure ya got the camra with you and some one to point it
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
gene

SwampDonkey

Yup they're also eating the uncut corn and the truckloads dumped back in the field in January. They're gonna bust.

Also, If I had a rifle a little moose would be in my freezer from eatin on my apple trees the other day, behind the house. Bold beast. I think he comes after dark.  >:(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

I don't recall ever seeing a swan this far north. It was hanging around with some Canada geese north of Berlin NH

Very impressive wing spread...sorry no pic of that :D

SwampDonkey

Thanks for the picture Sprucebunny. Looks like the whistling swan, which audubon say is the only swan species in the east. Your right on it being a bit to the north of its range, maybe it's migrating from it's wintering grounds. Apparently, they nest in the arctic away from hunting pressure which has devistated the trumpeter to a few hundred. Waterfowl identification is not something I do well. There are alot of species I have no clue on. I'm just pulling this info from a book. ;)

I've seen snow geese in with migrating canada geese. If you go up along the Cap Tourmente (QC) where the mud flats and farm fields are in fall and early spring the place is white with snow geese.

Link to snow geese

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

redpowerd

snowgeese like to get moving in the morning. usually in strips about 10 miles long! it can take 15-20 miniutes for them to pass the whole flock. they love our wet cornfeilds and are sometimes seen with canadian geese, in air and on the ground.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

redpowerd

what the heck is this thing?
aussies may know.....

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

SwampDonkey

Looks like a rail. Is it a baby?

OneWithWood

It's a youn Moa!  Call the ornithologists!!  Asy are you checking this out?  Red, don't do anything to disturb that little feller!!  Whoa, nelly, Red's farm is now off limits to everything and everybody :o :o  Them's sposed to be extincted and such :o :o :o :o :o

er, I could be wrong about the moa part  smiley_headscratch
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

redpowerd

:D

wheres all the austrialians?:D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

UNCLEBUCK

Where I live in western minnesota I see all the wild ducks,geese,swans,pelicans etc.. migrating every spring and fall on there way to and from northern canada . The funniest thing in the sky is watching a flock of pelicans flying in big circles around and around but yet going somewhere, anybody ever seen this or know why pelicans fly in circles?
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Teri

The last 3 days we've had 2 big owls landing in one of our trees in the back yard. Last night one of em' hooted and off in the distance I heard a turkey answer him back.

crtreedude

Uncle Buck,

I think they fly in a circle because they are looking for food. When we were at Hacienda Barú we saw Pelicans doing this, they would fly along the tops of the breaking waves, when the wave dies, they go back and follow another one. Sort of like surfers...

And I got a picture just as they were doubling back. (This picture was taken in December, it is a hard life but someone has to do it.)

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Minnesota_boy

I watched a flock of white pelicans migrating north one year.  About a dozen of them came flying in a line until they were above me, then all began circling.  They had found an updraft and were circling to gain altitude, which they did quickly.  Then, a few hundred feet higher, they reformed a line and sailed off into the north.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

UNCLEBUCK

Here is my little pal that has been coming every morning and eats like a pig and its funny to watch , the squirrels show up earlier and eat everything on the ground that this little bird has kicked out . I think its a grossbeak . Only 2 baltimore orioles so far  ??? hopefully they are running late this year because its a site to see them hanging all over the hummingbird feeder .

UNCLEBUCK

c r  I can understand that , your picture shows them really good looking for food. I have heard that a lake full of pelicans will really decrease the fish population . I see them pelicans like Mn Boy sees them . Even over a plowed field they will be up 2 or 3 hundred feet flying like that drunken stork on the bugs bunny cartoon .

SwampDonkey

Seen my first hummingbird yesterday afternoon. It came to the window where I have a red shopvac sitting. No nectar there. ;D

Unclebuck, looks like a rose breasted grosbeak, I've seen a pair of'm here earlier in the week. Week also used to have baltimore orioles, but haven't seen them for a few years. I do see scarlet tanager once in a great while.

sprucebunny

The swan has been there a week now, that I know of. Got a shot in flight but not a good one. This is a good photo of it in the corn field

Patty

They have introduced several pairs of swans to our area recently up on a lake just north of us a few miles. They are very impressive birds.

The spring birds have been arriving this past couple weeks. This week two Baltimore Orioles arrived and are hopefully going to nest in one of our big burr oaks. We see them everyday when we walk back and forth to work. They are beautiful, and sure have a pretty song. We have also started to see blue birds, king birds, all sorts of  swallows, buzzards, etc. It is great to see them all coming back.

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

UNCLEBUCK

I have never been up close to a swan but when they migrate overhead they are huge ! I started feeding birds a few years ago along with squirrels . Had hardly any squirrels and one day I removed the door off a corn crib and had 600 bushels of cob corn left and I thought I wonder if the squirrels would like this , well today there is about 50 bushel of cob corn left and loads and loads of sqirrels and piles of shelled out cobs by every tree around the crib . They are smart enough to leave the cob close to the crib . Little buggers !  No buzzards up here .  My dad told me that a flock of crows will go through the woods and kill wood duck nests ? Anybody know about this ? I never realized that but lately I hear them crows making a big ruckus down in the woods. If they kill baby wood ducks I am going to set up a old owl decoy and get me some crows !

Furby

Where US 31 and the Muskegon River meet here in West MI, there is a swamp.
Is pretty common to see a dozen or three swans as you pass through there.

SwampDonkey

Unclebuck

Last January the local farmer hauled and dumped combined corn in the fields cause it spoiled (cut too late and disease). There where kernals of corn all over the road behind the truck and the squirrels would dig in the snow afterward to get at the kernals. Sure are smart little buggers.

Tom

It's been an exciting couple of days.  Yesterday, while eating dinner on the job, what should fly over but a Swallow-Tailed Kite.  I see one on occasion but not frequently.  At the house I see one very 4 or 5 years as it sails the air currents over the swamp.  Yesterday, this one was cruising the edge of the pastures of the Horse Farm where I'm sawing.  He/she was a dominate figure for the better part of an hour.  we all sat under the Sweet Gum trees and watched it as it hunted.   It's a beautiful bird.  I wish they were more abundant.

This morning I watched three turkey  hens and two white tailed deer in the front yard.  The turkey were skittish and left after about 15 minutes.  The  White Tails were nibbling fresh ground cover and Oak twigs along the drainage ditch on the side of the yard.  They hung around for a couple of hours, twitching their tails at the deer-flies, munching the crisp new shoots that have come up after the recent rain and looking around the yard now and again for danger.  I would have loved to have a movie of the scene.

UNCLEBUCK

I seen a wild turkey yesterday like the kind they hunt on t.v. down south . I looked farther and counted 9 little ones . Bronze colored . The local rod&gun club started stocking wild turkeys about 13 miles away 10 years ago so it must have worked . I gotta learn how to call a turkey , maybe shake a 5 gallon pail with corn in it  :D Never heard of a Kite . The wild canadian geese now all got there little ones swimming behind them . Dont want to get too close or that gander will go crazy on ya !

crtreedude

We were checking out a finca to possible buy (and did) on Sunday. We found this little guy.

He is a King Fisher - he had tried to fly and didn't do too well, but after a bit, he took off just fine.

It is a good thing he didn't meet up with the Boa on the snake thread...  :o
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Thank You Sponsors!