iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro. Noble

My son and my Dr. teamed up and decided to give me some time off.  Been setting by the window listening to music,  reading a book,  and watching the birds.

Observed the following this morning:

nuthatch
tufted titmouse
juncos
Cardinal
red-bellied woodpecker
bluejay

The nuthatches are my favorite-----comical to watch
What kind of birds are outside your window?
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Roxie

Our area has the same type you listed...and we also have golden and purple finches.  I used to be an avid bird feeder until a red shouldered hawk decided to treat my backyard like his personal diner.   :o
That hawk would sit on the arbor in the backyard, and when I stopped putting bird seed out, he got ornery.  I was sitting at the table and my white cat was laying on the rug in front of the sliding door to the patio.  That hawk tried to get that cat, and slammed into the glass so hard he smeared it.   ;D
My favorite bird is the female cardinal.  I think they are beautiful.  
Say when

Murf

At the feeder, Purple and Gold finches, lots and lots of them, also Cardinals, Joncos, Pine Siskins and a few Blue Jays.

On the ground under the feeder, a flock of wild Turkeys.

Definitely not in the Avian category but a whole bunch of rabbits get their fill from what falls from the feeders too.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Minnesota_boy

I wasn't exactly bird watching the day before yesterday, it just sort of happened.  I was working in my garage when I heard something hitting the branches out near my sheds, so I looked out and down the lane to the sheds.  My truck was parked in the lane and a power wire crosses it about 15 feet above the truck.  In this gap between the truck and the power line comes a bald eagle, his wing tips hitting the branches of the fir trees lining the lane.  He was only about 50 feet away when I first saw him and must have passed within 10 feet of the garage.  AWESOME!!!

My camera was in the truck and i'd never have had time to snap a picture anyway, but it sure would have been an impressive picture to have.

A week ago I go to see a great grey owl.  These are native to Canada and only move down here when food becomes scarce in their normal range.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

sprucebunny

The eagle must have been awe inspiring. I always feel priveliged to have a moment alone  in the woods with a bird of prey near by.
There's nuthatches, chickadees, goldfinches (but not gold this time of year) juncoes and bluejays. And the occasional red squirrrel
Saw a Piliated woodpecker on my woodlot a couple of weeks ago.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Furby

The first bald eagle I ever saw that I could positivly ID, flew just 10' over my head while I was fishing a tournament in Florida.
AWESOME it was!!!!!!!!

DanG

A lone Great Blue Heron flies over my barn late every afternoon. He/she ???  feeds at the millpond up the road all day, and apparently nests somewhere west of here. Just like clockwork, every day about a half-hour before sunset. :)

I most always wear a baseball cap, so I wear out a bunch of'em. When they just get too grody to wear, I poke a nail in a post or a joist in the shed and hang it up. The wrens love to build their nests in them.

Common egrets!  Just wind up the rubber band on yer Bush Hog and start clipping a pasture around here. By the time you've done one lap, a half dozen will be hopping along behind the mower, spearing wounded bugs. Within half an hour, you'll have a following of 100 or more. Those things do love a tractor! ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Haytrader

Heck with the birds.
 ::)
I wanna know why son and the Doc have you inside resting. Must be a health issue. Let us know whats goin on will ya?
Haytrader

Norm

I think the main reason I enjoy deer hunting so much is for the bird watching I do. Sitting real still they will come in and land on branches right next to you. Nut hatches and juncos are the most common ones I see but we have plenty of blue jays, downy woodpeckers, creepers and cardinals. In the last  couple of month the bald eagles have been migrating through. They follow the creek line and sit in the old dead elms along it. I take the leftovers from butchering deer down there and always have a couple that feed on it. Wish we could get them to nest year around but so far they migrate north during that season.

Hope you get to feeling better Noble.

Timber_Framer

Norm my dad puts out a suet/seed ball by his deer stand each years so he can watch the birds while waiting for a deer to strole on by. Says it keeps him from getting bored.

Last week I had a bald eagle sitting on a dead head over looking my chicken coup!
Tuesday there was a great gray in the same dead tree, but they've both moved on now. The only reason I haven't cut the tree is there is a pair of sap suckers that have nested there the last three years and I'd hate to tear down their house.

On the suet I have chickadees, downy and hairy woodpeckers, and from time to time a paliated stops by.
Feeders have chickadees, pine grosbeaks, rose breasted grosbeaks and evening grosbeaks. I haven't seen any purple finches or juncoes this season which puzzles me. I missed the cedar waxwing migration this year also...beautiful birds.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

OneWithWood

Our bird feeder hangs from the eave on the porch and is clearly vbisible from the dining room table.  We are often entertained during our meals by

Titmouses
Cardinals
Chikadees
Tohees
Black Capped somethings
Downey Woodpeckers
Cowbirds
Yellow and Purple finches
Yellow bellied Woodpecker - he throws all the seed out looking for insects

in the summer we will see an occasional fly through like waxwings and orioles

Out in the woods I often see Pileated Woodpeckers, Red Tailed Hawks, Goshawks, Sparrow Hawks, Turkey Vultures,
Great Horned Owls, Barred Owls, Screech Owls, Crows, Wrens, Turkeys and Ruffed Grouse.

Occasionally a Bald Eagle will fly over just at tree top level.  I once surprised a Great Grey owl in the winter ( I think he forgot to turn somewhere ).  We have had Herrons visit the pond and Egrets land in the clearings.

The most memorable sighting was a Bald Eagle swooping down out of the sky and snagging a fish just 30 yards off the stern of the sailboat one summer afternoon.  Simply a beautiful sight to behold!

Noble, I trust the Doc just wanted to give the cows a break and you are OK.  Right?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

sawguy21

I had an eagle fly at eye level keeping pace with the pickup on a logging road for the best part of a mile. I am guessing he was scoping the ditch for rodents. One of my most memorable moments.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Fabiola

I remember been woke up by a Blue Jay when I was in Halifax. There were a family living on the tree in the house front garden and my room faced. West side, I couldnt sleep before 10 pm because the sun had been gone yet and I knew the bird would sing by 6 am next day!
Lovely any way!
I guess that is why I do support the Toronto Blue Jay!
FabĂ­ola Vieira
Forestry Engineer
Brasil

Kevin

I have some chicken in the oven.  ;D

Patty

We are starting to see the pheasant population come back finally. It is great to see them back on the farm.

The bald eagles are migrating through right now, what an awesome bird! I love to watch them soar through the sky, they are truly a sight to behold.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

redpowerd

same here with grouse and pheasant. now that ive noticed theres more of them getting eaten at the table, there is bobcat tracks increasing behind the cabin. i know they get to eat more birds than i do, so they will be the next thing i shoot. allways wanted a stuffed cat.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Timber_Framer

We watched a Bald Eagle circling the harbor right at sunset yesterday. The colors of the sun setting acted to dye his white head and tail feathers a glowing mother of pearl pink it was a truly amazing sight to behold.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Lyle_Brumm

If you are interested in seeing many bald eagles I suggest that you check out the Mississippi River at Cassville. Wisconsin.  Also there are many in the area of Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin.  Follow the river north on Highway 35 and you can see them feeding on the ice.  There is also a great Cabela`s just north of Prairie du Chien if you are interested.  The birds come here every winter as they can find food easily.

johnday

Down here, the eagles winter over because of the open water heated by the power plant I work in. We have one of the last wild areas at this end of Lake Erie and the fishing is very good for them. I can see eagles year round here also. Once my wife and I counted 21 of them sitting in the trees. 8)
Trucks are red, tractors are blue.  Monroe Mi, for now, Barton City soon.

Corley5

Mom and I saw an eagle today right by my mailbox.  It was a picture perfect adult bird.  An hour later it was gone and there was a raven in the same tree.  I figure there's some roadkill in the ditch that they're after.  At the feeders I've got chickadees, white and red breasted nuthatches, hairy and downy woodpeckers, goldfinches, doves, blue jays, black, fox, and red squirrels and after dark the flying squirrels come in along with an occasional screech owl looking to make a meal out of them.  It's about time for the red polls and pine grosbeaks to show up.  Evening grosbeaks also make appearances but they are infrequent visitors.  A couple years ago I had a shrike that was hanging around eating whatever birds he could get.  Pileated woodpeckers seldom come close to the house but evidence of them can be heard and seen in the woods out back.  One year I also had a tufted titmouse and a red bellied woodpecker.  We are on the far northern fringe of their range so they were pretty neat to see.  In warmer months we have house and purple finches, juncos, and rose breasted grosbeaks.  Last winter I went through 300 lbs of black oil sunflower seeds and I lost track of the number of suet cakes I hung out.  I like watching and feeding the birds. 8) ;D :D ;) :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ron Scott

Ruffed Grouse In Snow. This ruff grouse was "fanned out" in a proposed timber sale area after a recent new snow.
Austin timber stand; 12/04.

~Ron

SwampDonkey

I've heard the crazy things drum in the fall too. Their rut typically starts here in march on the crusty snow.

That's a cool picture and not that easy to obtain with the flighty birds near settlements. I see them in winter along the ditch of the road after cranberries, alder, poplar and birch seed or buds.

FLFLFLFLFLFLFLF.................->-o,
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

I heard a grouse yesterday . It was just practicing , I guess.
That is a great picture , Ron. I've almost stepped on them but not gotten any pictures.
This morning, six turkeys wandered through my yard ,
I could tell by the footprints ;)
and I met up with them later , a little down the road.

They seem to have found a friend in thier travels.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ianab

While on holiday last week the beach house we stayed at was surrounded by small eucalyptus and pohutukawa trees. There were a couple of young Tui that spend much of the day hunting them for spiders and bugs. These are one native bird thats been able to adapt to the change in NZs environment. It is common in gardens and around farms as long as flowering trees are present. They eat mostly honey and insects. This young one hasn't yet developed the white tuft under it's chin that is so distinctive of the bird normally. They have a wonderfull song and are interesting playfull / quarrelsome birds.

More info
Tui

Good pic of an adult Tui
http://www.doc.govt.nz/images/national/yha/tui.jpg

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Sprucebunny,

Wish we had wild turkey up this way. That's quite a flock of'em. Great place to release a few would be around Mars Hill  with all the oak trees. I suppose they'de eat beechnuts and birch catkins in winter if they had too. Then there's always the 150 acres of corn to eat the farmer never harvested. ;D There's about 5 inches of snow here in some places and less in others. Go away from the river valley, to the east and there is alot more because the elevation is higher.

gobble gobble gobble ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!