iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

When I was a kid, I liked the swallows in dairy barns. They just made themselves at home like they belonged there.

sandhills

Bibbyman

http://youtu.be/JnCZQoxcad8

Mary spotted a pair of giant woodpeckers going around and around a walnut just outside the yard. Although the birds are very elusive,  I was able to get the cam-corder out and crack the door to get them on video.  They finally moved from this tree and leapfrogged to a couple of others in the yard before heading back into the woods.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Den Socling

They are pileated woodpeckers. They are magnificent birds.

Bibbyman

I have been doing some research and the male and female look very similar.   I thought they may be male and female or two male but looking at the video, it looks like two female birds.  Territorial dispute? 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

WV Sawmiller

We have lots of the pileated woodpeckers here and they are one of my favorite birds. I think they are the ones called wood hens here. We got some pictures a few weeks ago of a pair in the snow pecking the bark off an old locust. They tend to nest in old locusts and such around here. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

wwsjr

First hatching of Eastern Bluebirds this weekend, look like at least 5 in nest.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

doctorb

This time of year I would have to believe that's a male and a female.  I cannot tell the gender by appearance in this bird.  Very nice video Bibby.  Thank you.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

beenthere

Excellent video capture of the two pileated woodpeckers. Rare to get them to stay in one place long enough for that length of time. We have had them all the 50+ years in our woods, usually hear them and then see them moving about. But correct that they are a pretty shy bird.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

My wife captured some video of this Pileated Woodpecker about a month ago.

http://youtu.be/aiPnQypFgcA

WDH

Their calls are very distinctive. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Straightgrain

Great thread;

Wild Turkey (Spring)
Quail
Morning Dove
Ruffed Grouse
Chickadee
Towhee
Wren
American Gold Finch
Sparrow
Thrush
Warbler
Stellar Jay
Grey Jay
Rufus Hummingbird
Starling and crow
Barn Swallow
Grosbeak (several types)
Cardinal
Woodpeckers

"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

John.Howard

Nice video of two beautiful woodpeckers. I see green woodpeckers pretty much everyday just outside here. Last week, I stepped outside and saw one. Then, just as I started driving down the lane, a weasel ran across the road (I probably only see about one a year, usually running across the road!). This seemed a bit suspicious because recently someone took this crazy photograph of the same two species:

Have you seen it yet? Apparently the woodpecker managed to get away.

Ron Scott

Good videos of the pileated woodpecker. i had one in my backyard in town last week though they are a featured species of old growth timber. ;)
~Ron

Chuck White

We're still waiting for the Ruby Throated HumingBirds to arrive, they're usually here between the 7th & 11th, but thought they'd be a little early this year because of the nice weather.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sprucebunny

Thanks for the woodpecker video, Bibbyman. I have been trying for years to get a good shot of them... even just bought a better camera !!!!

Last Thursday there was a Chickadee "trapped" in the 3 sided garage attached to my house. It had been flapping up against a window and was too dumb to fly back out the door. So I grabbed it in my hand and put it outside !
Same thing happened to a Junco on Friday ! Also caught in my hand and put outside. Feels pretty cool to have a real live little bird in your hand  :)
I have hung the tarp different over the door so they won't think it's a shortcut.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

thecfarm

John.Howard,if that is true,THAT is a picture. And than some.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Roxie

Chuck, I saw my first hummingbird this afternoon.  They're on the way!   fly_smiley
Say when

Ianab

Had some of these guys in the garden yesterday. They are tiny things, and hyperactive. Hard to photograph as they NEVER stay still. They hunt small insects on the wing, so they don't even fly in a straight line!!!

Anyway, it's sign of winter when they come down from the National Park and start hanging out in town gardens and farmland. They like to follow people and animals around to catch any insects you stir up. When we were winter feeding herds of cattle you might have 5 or 10 of them fluttering around the herd, sitting on cows, and swooping around your knees to grab something you never even saw.

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Chuck White

Well, I saw the season's first (for this area) Ruby Throated HummingBird about an hour ago.   :)

The little bugger went around and around the house and checked out all 6 of the feeders.

Won't be long and they'll be buzzing everywhere.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

John.Howard

thecfarm, the picture is real. They guy took a few but that's the amazing one. I think he was lucky enough to see a weasel riding a woodpecker but to get a photograph and in focus too is crazy!

There is a robin nesting in the bolt box in the workshop. Made 4 nests in different compartments. The male is bringing her food. She just looks at you if you need to get a bolt. One of them spent pretty much the whole winter in the workshop. They don't seem bothered by us. We'll have to buy some more 1/2" nuts!

beenthere

Story about the weasel riding the woodpecker.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-31711446
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Hilltop366

The red tailed hawk came back that I posted about a year or so ago (or it is another one) so got a few more pictures.

Roxie

That last picture is outstanding!!   :)
Say when

thecfarm

Nice pictures.
We was going somewheres the other day and looked where we feed the deer. Most times there is at least gray squirrels,crows,small birds eating there among the deer. Not a critter was there.Than Brenda saw the eagle up in the tree. I drove down so she could get a picture. The eagle flew off before she could,but what a sight to see it fly away.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!