iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I don't have a photo but a bird of prey took a hare in an open trail in the last couple of days. I am saying goshawk because I have seen them catch grouse. There were rabbit tracks and no ground predator track. There was an impact area on thin crusted snow and lots of fur in small chunks around. So it was lifted off the ground to where ever for someone's lunch. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Warped

Quote from: Hilltop366 on December 22, 2014, 08:33:03 PM
Thanks for the link doctorb.

Perhaps it is a contagious and the hawk caught it from the deer. :D

Here's a link to white whitetail deer
http://senecawhitedeer.org/
As a past meatcutter I processed one of these in the late eighties, only one I've ever seen. Back then they suspected it may have been from past shelling practice by the Army, not sure if it's been clarified now and didn't have time to read it.

Well, that didn't take long:
http://thedreamyidealist.com/2013/09/30/whitedeer/
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

SwampDonkey

My grandfather shot 2 or 3 albino white tails. I have a photo of one hanging with some regular deer at his hunting camps on Serpentine Lake. Camps are still there after 60 years.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Warped

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 07, 2015, 06:34:40 PM
My grandfather shot 2 or 3 albino white tails. I have a photo of one hanging with some regular deer at his hunting camps on Serpentine Lake. Camps are still there after 60 years.
Love to see the pics........probably a hassle, surely they're not digital   lol

doctorb

Warped-

My hunter friend - who I know well and is the only hunter permitted to hunt on my property - told me he once shot an albino deer.  This was not on my land, although I did see an albino deer a few years ago.  Anyway, he said that the meat was very atypical for a whitetail and it did not have the usual taste of deer.  Has that been your experience?

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Warped

Quote from: doctorb on January 07, 2015, 08:08:36 PM
Warped-

My hunter friend - who I know well and is the only hunter permitted to hunt on my property - told me he once shot an albino deer.  This was not on my land, although I did see an albino deer a few years ago.  Anyway, he said that the meat was very atypical for a whitetail and it did not have the usual taste of deer.  Has that been your experience?
To be honest, I don't eat much venison, maybe try a piece every few years. Just a weird hang up, also pass out giving blood 70-80%, bet on it. I've also never actually field dressed a deer, but I've done plenty on the cutting block. I swear some guys used a chain saw! Corn, turds, full bladders, and various other things that I guess just turned me off.
     With that said, it was a doe, and once the hide was off there was no difference visually, in texture or smell. I remember the guy's and their young son who brought it in said it ate the same as any. They shot them often, so I'm guessing they tasted the same. They're actually in a fenced in area where you needed special permit to get in. A lottery, maybe? While it was certainly white, it wasn't as snow white as the ones in that I linked to. Could of been from what they dragged it through. Just to be clear though, they aren't albinos, I've never seen one of those.
     Just to redeem myself that I'm not a complete sissy, I remember this one deer around 1992. Often, when they take a slug in the torso they get down and rub it in mud, grass and dirt (so I've been told) to pack the wound. Well, when I dropped the hide, which had no hole, I found one of these healed over messes. The smell! Almost knocked me over. Then you have the healed over broken legs that look like clubs and a rusty broken off broad head in the hinds once. Poor guys go through a lot. But, I still hunt and take my son who loves it........I'm just very careful to never shoot one! LOL!
    Sorry for the long post but I've been down and under the weather.

Warped

Quote from: beenthere on January 07, 2015, 08:32:09 PM
All white meat?
:D :D
and taste li.........oh nevermind

Mooseherder

Here's lookin' at you kid.

Roxie

That sure is a beautiful yard, and you always have amazing visitors! 
Say when

mesquite buckeye

Looks just like a new avatar for POSTON. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

red

Black Birds were in all the tree tops this morning.  . . To many to count making lots of Noise.  . Must be because it Snowed on the first day of Spring and they are hungry.  . . It will be 50 this afternoon and they will be happy
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Onthesauk

First hummingbird showed up yesterday and had our first band tailed pigeons a few days earlier. 
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

doctorb

Mourning Doves are cooing.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

sandhills

My wife opened a bedroom window last night, why not it only gets down to 30  :D, but did wake up to a pair of cardinals talking, oh and a slight chill.

TimRB

Currently have drama going on in the front yard--cat vs solo turkey.  At first there was stalking, then the cat came to its senses.  Now following.

Tim

sandhills

:D :D :D  That's funny!
I watched a small hawk, I don't know what kind but about half the size of a chicken hawk the other morning.  He'd caught a meadowlark and was trying his hardest to hang on to it as I was getting closer with the tractor, the meadowlark got free so I watched and within a 1/4 mile or so the hawk got him again in mid air.  Nature can be cruel but it was pretty neat to see that.

WV Sawmiller

Got up this morning to find a turkey gobbler strutting around in my pasture a couple hundred yards from the house. Good sign as our spring season starts later this month. They had a hard time with about 4 weeks when the ground was covered with snow and ice.

Later went up to my son's place and found a pair of Killdeers in his yard. Evidently they were starting or had already established their nest as they started trying to lead me away. Last year the had a nest and put on some remarkable shows. My wife is a photographer and had a blast watching their broken wing act. We had a turkey hen here at the house also try to lead me away like that. I'd had quail and the killdeers and even cranes in Mongolia and ostriches in Africa do that but was first time I ever saw a turkey try to lead me away. Ain't nature grand!
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Yup, nature has many lessons to teach, if we will only pause to learn.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

The Tree Swallows arrived here, first thing this morning.

Now they're just squabbiling over "which birdhouse" this year.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Chuck White

First Eastern BlueBirds here this morning!

They just entered into the mix with the Tree Swallows over birdhouses!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sandhills

Now I'm curious Chuck, we call them barn swallows around here, wonder if it's the same bird?  Ours haven't showed up yet and I'm a lot further south?

Shotgun

Tree swallows and barn swallows are two different species.  You might want to look them up.  Google them.     ;)
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Chuck White

In this area we have 3 species of swallows that I know of, they are the Barn Swallow, Tree Swallow & Bank Swallow.

The Tree Swallow resembles the Purple Martin and likes to live in birdhouses, and the Bank Swallows nest just under the lip of gravel pits or any other type of sharp embankment, just dig a burrow back into the bank about 1 1/2 feet.

Thank You Sponsors!