Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 22, 2014, 04:31:23 AM
Sure looks cool. What are the chances? ;D

I believe it is the square of the gene frequency. ;D :P :P :P :snowball:

If you look closely you can see the hawks in question have dark eyes. They are not albinos, which have no pigment. This looks more like a gene affecting only part of the coloration that is pigment defective, producing no color there. Think of things like black spotted cats and dogs as something similar. Or Holstein cattle. Seems these hawks have the same pattern of colored tails. Likely one gene of very low frequency in the population.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

SwampDonkey

Happens here with our brook trout. We have the regular brook trout that everyone up north has seen. Then we have "sea run" that is only 1 gene difference and it goes to sea, just off shore not like salmon that go far off. Looks about the same with the colors, but it's scales have a more silvery fleck.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: doctorb on December 22, 2014, 09:44:03 AM
It is a white / albino Red-tailed Hawk.  Great Pics!!!!  Thanks

https://adlayasanimals.wordpress.com/2014/07/06/red-tailed-hawk-buteo-jamaicensis/

Check out this site.  Scroll down to picture of same.

Good info Doc! Thanks.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Hilltop366

Thanks for the link doctorb.

Perhaps it is a contagious and the hawk caught it from the deer. :D

beenthere

It's a piebald deer, and images of piebald redtail hawks show up very similar to the ones photographed.

https://www.carolinabirdclub.org/gallery/Sorenson/rtha_2.html

Don't see it as an albino however.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mesquite buckeye

Broad billed hummingbird. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

SwampDonkey

There used to be a blue jay around home a few years ago that was mostly white. It would come to the feeder with 30 other regular colored ones.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

I just had a few exciting moments in the backyard. I was witness to a very cool aerial pursuit of a small unidentified bird by a Goshawk. It took place just a little over head high, weaving and banking in and out and around the trees in our yard until the small bird gave the Goshawk the slip. The Goshawk then lit just above the roof of the little cabin in our back yard just long enough for me to give him a real good look. A moments rest and it was off in the same direction in which its intended prey had disappeared. I've no pictures other than that which hopefully, will be forever imprinted in my minds eye.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mesquite buckeye

The fox runs for its supper. The rabbit runs for its life.

doctorb

I saw several Giant Hummingbirds while in Peru earlier this month.  Sort of like a long billed swallow hovering on amphetamines.  They are large enough that their wings do not beat as fast as the standard sized hummingbirds, so you do not hear the pronounced hum.  But man, they are impressive doing what they do at their size.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Mooseherder

This Marsh Hawk was bothering the other birds in the yard on Wednesday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bClmwhcGB_0&list=UUoK01ereAGdikRqDj00MmYA

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Good Video Glenn....beautiful bird. Did he ever move.  ;D

Mooseherder

He was causing a ruckus out there and the noise is what got my attention.
By the time I started to video he was on a break. ;)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Mooseherder on December 26, 2014, 07:04:13 PM
He was causing a ruckus out there......

But not enough to go to the Wood Shed.  :D :D :D :D

mesquite buckeye

Costa's hummingbird. ;D

tule peak timber

Great picture Russ......We are having to thaw/ heat our feeders daily to keep the local guys going.  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

mesquite buckeye

Ours have frozen for a few hours for the last few days. :(

SwampDonkey

The ice is creeping southward.  :snowball:

mesquite buckeye

doctorb

Great hummingbird pic!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

WDH

With the faint grinding sound of the glaciers moving inexorably south, the Birds fly South  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on January 05, 2015, 08:15:20 PM
With the faint grinding sound of the glaciers moving inexorably south, the Birds fly South  :).

...and later on with the faint grinding sound of Grits, the birds fly North.  :D

Mooseherder

dgdrls

mesquite buckeye

I didn't notice until today that there is a second hummingbird sitting on the feeder. That one is an Anna's.

Thank You Sponsors!