iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Canadian geese. Never had any around here,that stayed all summer. Had a pair in the field 4-5-6 years ago. Kept seeing one pair for those years. 6 flew over last night,just about tree top height and I suppose heading for the pond.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Thank our Premier McKenna for that, for bringing in nuisance geese from Toronto. Share and share alike I guess.  ::) And as I type this I'm listening to his rhetoric on the radio.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

OneWithWood

;)
Heard this correction on NPR the other morning:

They are Canada Geese.  They have no passports and are not recognized as citizens of the country.

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Ianab

Today's sighting.

Small kowhai tree on the neighbours front lawn. Look in the top centre of the tree.

A Kereru / Wood Pigeon.

It's winter and food is a bit scarce, so it was chowing down on the tender leaves at the top of the tree. Just picking them off and eating them.

It's quite an impressive bird, about the size of a small chicken.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Great pics Ian!  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

submarinesailor

Ran across this guy during my last visit to Ithaca, NY.  I have always had a thing for Blue Jays.   i can remember as a kid we always had them in the woods. Than they just went away. Now it appears that they are turned to the northern Virginia area.

Bruce

SwampDonkey

Yes, they are very common around here. Put out a feeder and you'll have 30 or more by the end of the week. One year there was sunflowers growing up in the potato field. Those darn 'gorbys sack'n and hiding the seeds. Dropping a lot too it seems.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

The Bluejays harvest our Live Oak acorns every year.

clww

We had at least three different pairs that had babies on our cabin property this spring. Pretty to look at, but they are bullies to the other birds.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

doctorb

One thing I've noticed about Blue Jays.....

While they are stiking in appearance, they have garnered a reputation in the east as an undesirable bird by some people because they can be loud, squawking, and aggressive.  They are often taken for granted by most non-birders.  What I have noticed on several occasions is that, when people from out west come east and see our Blue Jay, they marvel at its appearance and think its one of the most atractive birds they've ever seen.  Further, the same thing happens in reverse.  When easterers head out west, they see the Stellar's Jay and comment on how beautiful the bird is, while the people out west think its a pest. 

The grass is always greener......
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

RynSmith

They're not my favorite Corvid, but I think they're only bullies in the sense that they're smarter than your average songbird...   ;D

And Doc, you're right!  I still think Stellar's jays are beautiful when compared to blue jays, eight years after my westward migration.  Familiarity breeding comtempt?  :D

SwampDonkey

They are intelligent birds and look after their sick and old family members. I've seen it lots of times. They will bring food and watch over the injured ones. When we hear them fuss, it is a sign of a pending storm coming. One of my favorite birds.  :)

Road Runner

Blue Jays are important for genetic diversity of eastern oaks.  They will collect and bury (plant) acorns away from the parent trees.  Squirrels do the same thing, but usually under or closer to the parent oaks. 
WM LT40G25, Kubota MX5100, Husqvarna 365 & R460

thecfarm

We had snow buntings here yesterday. Family was here for Christmas and there was 3-4 birds on the ground under the feeder. DIL saw me looking hard and came to look too. She had no idea what they was either. Out came the bird book and she found what it was.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

We have the snow buntings here to. They have been here since the end of October. I never see them around a feeder though, they are very timid and stay in large flocks around here. They look similar to wintering goldfinch, only a lot more white.

chain

Blue jays, like the crows are sort a rarity here. I've even missed them in our timber while hunting, when they spy something like a bobcat, coyote, or fox, hawks and owls, they really put up a fuss!

We had a crow nest in a pine several years back. I had stepped outside and heard an awful squawking, four or five jays had attacked the crow nest killing one young crow and knocked the other crow down to the lower branches where I captured the little fellow and fed it earthworms for a few days and allowed it to fly away.

SwampDonkey

Crows are pretty well off up here. We have lots of'm. Just toss a chicken carcass out the back yard and see how quick you see crows. Usually as far as nest robbing and harassment, it's the crows doing it. :D

ancjr

I saw a few crows really doing a number on a squirrel once.  He was dragging a piece of field corn through the back yard.  The crows came down out of the trees and surrounded him.  A crow would sneak in on him, and the squirrel would attempt to defend his corn by snapping at the advancing crow , but this was only a ruse.  The other crows would nip the cob behind his back.  They all did this in turn, nipping at the squirrel until they flew away, leaving him with an empty cob.   :/

terry f

Most people around here call steller's, blue jays, just like they call western larch, tamarack. People don't like to be corrected, so I try to use the correct names, but am guilty as most. Steller's and gray jays seem to know when you're eating lunch, almost tame if food is involved.

SwampDonkey

When at fishing and game camps in my younger years I could feed gray jays (whiskey jacks) bread from my hands. They are very friendly. We do not see them in the settlements, the cats would probably have lots of jays for lunch. The blue jays would also be around and steal the jack's stash. :D

Onthesauk

We've got a clump of cottonwoods next to the highway about 4 miles west of town where two bald eagles use almost every January for a month or so.  But yesterday I came up the valley mid-day and spotted 7 of them sitting in "their" tree.  40 feet off the highway, 50 feet in the air.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

RynSmith

There's an eagle tree I drive by often and the last time the pair was sitting up above their nest by ~ 15 feet - wish I had a camera for that one!  Nesting soon...

thecfarm

Here's 2 geese in our field. They show up off and on all summer. Will see the gosselins behind the parents in the pond. Most times at early evening,I can hear the pair honking,coming back to the pond.

mesquite buckeye

Anybody know this guy?

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

doctorb

Real hard to tell with the lighting of that pic of that Buteo.  Large wing span.  Could even be an eagle. I'm interested in others opinions as to which species it is.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Thank You Sponsors!