The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: BIRDS  (Read 270489 times)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
Re: BIRDS
« Reply #280 on: March 24, 2007, 09:56:21 am »
I saw a couple crows dive bombing a hawk yesterday. Too far away for pictures. The hawk was brown with a lot of white under his wings and tail. I'm thinking a marsh hawk.

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Mooseherder

• Administrator
« Reply #281 on: March 24, 2007, 10:14:28 am »
There is a couple hundred acres just north of us 1 block that we thought was a protected wetland. Turns out it is part of a development that was on it's eastern border.  They have been clearing and grinding the trees in the new development which was just loaded with an invasive tree species called maleluca. There has been alot of Bird activity because of the disruption. We usually hear the Hawks everyday, so their nests must not be in the affected area.
Lane Circle Mill

Offline Onthesauk

• Senior Member x2
  • Still learning!
« Reply #282 on: March 26, 2007, 10:17:22 pm »
Swallows showed up for the first time today, band tailed pigeons over the weekend and a pair of red winged blackbirds yesterday.  Realized that I need to get the hummingbird feeders out, have had them back this early a couple of years in the past.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don’t attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #283 on: March 27, 2007, 07:10:37 am »
Probably won't see robins and grackles here for 3 weeks, although there is lots of bare ground on the fields.

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Online isawlogs

• Senior Member x2
  • A smile is contagious ... Start an epidemic
« Reply #284 on: March 28, 2007, 10:39:17 pm »
 Swamp , I saw my first robin here this morning , I dont know what he is thinking, I might have to go to the store and get him some worms and throw them on the ten square feet of lawn that is showing .....  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #285 on: March 29, 2007, 06:30:00 am »
Yup I saw one robin yesterday in Lakeville and a flock of grackles around a feeder in town. Spring has sprung.

Dirty Harry

Offline Onthesauk

• Senior Member x2
  • Still learning!
« Reply #286 on: April 10, 2007, 09:57:36 pm »
Walking down to the garden area after dinner tonight.  Stopped just short of the meadow and was watching about 20 robins working the lawns.  All the sudden a bird went by me about 40 miles an hour, swept around a clump of birch and out into the meadow, after the robins.  Missed them all and sat down in a tree and watched me for a bit and then flew on up the hill.  Small gray hawk, maybe 10 inches tall.  Believe it was an immature sharp shinned hawk.  Beautiful bird!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don’t attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Offline Raphael

• Senior Member x2
  • Willing and able to do a boring job.
« Reply #287 on: April 19, 2007, 06:53:29 pm »
My father thought he'd found a dead Sparrow Hawk laying on it's back in the driveway this morning...
At least it seemed pretty dead until he picked it up by the tail feathers, fortunately that little beak only makes tiny little holes in fingers.

Here is is hitching a ride in dad's S10.

And playing hard to get in the barn.

He's down at the local Audubon Society Center recovering from being stunned.  No idea what hit him but there is a small abrasion on his head above his right eye.  When and if he fully recovers we'll be bringing him back here to release.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
 --Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Offline wwsjr

• In Memoriam
  • Think Orange
« Reply #288 on: April 19, 2007, 08:38:03 pm »
Looks like our first hatch of bluebirds (4 birds) are almost ready to fly, got lots of real feathers. We had about 50 hatch last year in 6 houses. 
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #289 on: April 19, 2007, 09:01:48 pm »
I suppose you have the western bluebird?They have more blue that goes down the throat.I have the eastern bluebirds.Ours have just came back and looking for a place to raise thier young.We useally get 6-8 that will look at all of the houses but lucky if 2 pair stay.The sparrows will drive them off.I call the bluebirds a polite bird.They don't want no trouble,they will leave.They won't fight.The sparrows will keep pestering them until they leave.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline sprucebunny

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #290 on: April 19, 2007, 09:38:38 pm »
Great pictures, Rapheal !!!!

How big is that bird? It's not in my bird books ! Can you tell us more about it ???

Last fall I saw a similar bird near some deer guts. Didn't see as much brown. Couldn't find it in any books ?
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Offline Onthesauk

• Senior Member x2
  • Still learning!
« Reply #291 on: April 19, 2007, 09:54:59 pm »
Rapheal,     I think they are the prettiest hawk out there!  I grew up with them in Montana but never saw them in Western Washington until just the last 5 or 6 years.  Always thought it was too wet for them.  But they now winter over here and we see them all the time.  Great to see such good close-ups of him!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Offline bitternut

« Reply #292 on: April 19, 2007, 10:13:24 pm »
Looks like a Kestrel to me. They are pretty busy setting up house keeping right now in my area. I might be mistaken but I believe they are our smallest hawk. I have a nest box close by my bird feeder and their presence doesn't seem to bother the small birds using the feeder.

Offline sprucebunny

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #293 on: April 19, 2007, 10:49:56 pm »
Yes, bitternut, I found it in the book as a kestrel but it shows a browner chest/belly.

It says they can hover like a kingfisher. That must be what I saw.

Great !! I'm always happy to see a new to me bird ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Offline Raphael

• Senior Member x2
  • Willing and able to do a boring job.
« Reply #294 on: April 20, 2007, 02:23:23 am »
  You're correct bitternut, the "American Sparrowhawk" (Sparrow-Hawk or Sparrow Hawk) is the American Kestral (Falco sparverius) and not a true Accipitor like the Eurasian varieties...  Old naming habits die hard.  They are supposed to be a good bird for learning falconry.
  This little guy isn't much over 8" or 9" tops.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
 --Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #295 on: April 20, 2007, 05:15:38 am »
They are very common here where you have pastures and power lines along the roads where they perch. They seem to love hey fields and stubble ground. We also get northern shrieks passing by in spring and fall as they come and go from the north country. I don't know if they are a raptor or not, but they hunt mice and small birds. The mice are almost as big as the bird. ;D

Dirty Harry

Offline Mooseherder

• Administrator
« Reply #296 on: April 21, 2007, 11:29:32 am »
A Little Blue Heron came for a visit this morning. ;)

Lane Circle Mill

Offline pigman

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #297 on: April 21, 2007, 11:07:50 pm »
These two geese came walking through my yard last week. They were heading due south to escape the cold weather we had last week. It has warmed up today, so I expect to see them on their way back north soon.

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Offline caz

« Reply #298 on: April 22, 2007, 05:24:20 am »
CFARM, Get the bluebird houses with the hole on the bottom of the box problem solved no more house sparrows.

Online isawlogs

• Senior Member x2
  • A smile is contagious ... Start an epidemic
« Reply #299 on: April 22, 2007, 05:35:04 pm »
Caz...

Ya got pics or drawings of those bluebird houses , I got me the sparow haunting da beuebird here ... That sounds like a winner house to me .  :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel