iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mixing paint ??

Started by Woodhauler, May 15, 2017, 06:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Bought a gallon of paint to do the stakes on my log truck, Its the same color that stairs trailer uses, the place I bought it mixes it for them. He gave me some stir sticks but I cant seem to stir it enough to get the black tint mixed in. Should I take it to hardware store and have them shake it???? I shook it and then stirred it before I opened it.I did paint one side with it mixed the best I could get it.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

21incher

How about one of those paint mixers you use with a drill. Most hardware stores sell them.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Woodhauler

Quote from: 21incher on May 15, 2017, 06:37:57 PM
How about one of those paint mixers you use with a drill. Most hardware stores sell them.
Good idea! May grab one in morning. Painting the stakes is about last thing I have to do. Took 2 days to paint frame, one day to polish one fuel tank and def box. 1 day to paint one side of stakes and polish ditch side battery box and re-gen / muffler cover. Should be ready mid week to haul wood.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

sandhills

Those are easy to make, just twist a piece of flatiron a little and weld a rod to it  ;).  My shop came with a built in shaker, previous owner built it out of an washing machine gearbox, slow but it works.

Holmes

I like to put the paint mixer thru a piece of cardboard and hold the cardboard on top of the open can.Then you can move the drill mixer up, down, all over and not splatter anything.
Think like a farmer.

Kbeitz

I take two washers and split them and give them a twist and then
weld them on a rod to put in a drill. One twist up and one down.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

Cheap to buy and they work great. Go ahead and get the long one so you can use it with a 5 gallon bucket if/when you need it. It will work on a gallon can but short one won't work on the tall cans.

I roofed my sawmill storage shed with used tin and had to repaint it with the aluminum paint. First can I mixed with a stick and hardly worked at all. Next time I used a drill and long mixer attachment and it worked great.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Hilltop366

Yep those drill mixers work good.

In pinch I have used a piece of coat hanger wire for 1 gallon cans, just bend it back and forth a few times (3" or 4" long) then up for the shaft.

A old kitchen mixer beater in a drill works well too but the shafts are kind of short on the small hand held ones.

Don_Papenburg

When your wife goes to the mall , break out the blender .  Push the fast blend button a second or two  , Presto mixed to perfection . Clean it up real good!!!!!!!  and make sure you put it back in the same place with the handle and lid just as you found it . and get your painting done .  At least get out of the kitchen with your paint BEFORE she returns.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

coxy

Bert

QuoteWhen your wife goes to the mall , break out the blender .  Push the fast blend button a second or two  , Presto mixed to perfection . Clean it up real good!!!!!!!  and make sure you put it back in the same place with the handle and lid just as you found it . and get your painting done .  At least get out of the kitchen with your paint BEFORE she returns.

I have to do this procedure with the washing machine. My wife hates sawdust and wood chips in the house. I wash my sawmilling and logging clothes when shes out and return all the buttons to where they were and clean out the lint trap. She knows but doesnt bother her as much. I always tell her she should have married an accountant.
Saw you tomorrow!

coxy

that's funny I don't even know how to turn them on  :D :D

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Hilltop366 on May 15, 2017, 09:55:02 PM
A old kitchen mixer beater in a drill works well too but the shafts are kind of short on the small hand held ones.

Those are for the quart cans and you don't even need a drill, just use the electric mixer! :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Hilltop366

That would work!

My brother says they are the best thing he has ever used for mixing drywall compound.

Thank You Sponsors!