iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bought some walnut, part II

Started by Clark, May 15, 2017, 02:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clark

In another thread I discussed some walnut lumber that I recently bought. The method of it being cut wasn't the only mystery. Before I continue, I must put up a small defense. This wood had been stored in a dirt-floored garage for possibly 60 years. It was all rough cut and some boards had significant marks from one ragged tooth on the circular mill. It all looked the same to me.

While planing, this piece stood out for obvious reasons and I have no clue what it is.

It came from Iowa and it's a hardwood. Those are the clues I can give you right now.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

SwampDonkey

cherry, similar to light and dark I see across the rings of our cherry here, plus what looks like a pink hue to me.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

IndyIan

Black cherry?  That looks like my Cherry boards, right down to the knot in almost every one.   :D
The sapwood would be much lighter but maybe they cut that all off?

Gary_C

Could be cherry or butternut too.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

Possibly, if it's soft and light. I have some butternut with a bit of a cherry hue, but the grain of butternut has a shiny fleck.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Greyhound

Looks like black cherry to me.  Let us know if you ever figure it out for sure.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Clark

Thank you gentlemen. We don't have cherry up here as a commercial species consequently the only time I see it is when it is finished. I've seen plenty on the FF and it was only when looking at the picture of it did the thought crossed my mind, this might be cherry.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Thank You Sponsors!