The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Finish  (Read 1267 times)

Offline Downstream

• I'm new!
Re: Finish
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2017, 10:49:32 am »
How are you guys applying GF450 or A100?  Brush or sprayer?  What is the color change on the wood and does it hide grain?
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook

Offline tomsteve

• Full Member x2
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2017, 04:10:58 pm »
i put A100 on with a brush and thin coats. it doesnt darken the wood like oil based finishes and i can get multiple coats on rather quickly.

Offline tomsteve

• Full Member x2
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2017, 04:19:35 pm »
after years of trying different finishes on projects that will sit outside, i bit the bullet and thried something that i read suggested for the longest durability- sherwin williams A100 exterior acrylic exterior house paint untinted. although most wood projects will require maintainence sometime in the future, ive found it to last quite a long time and is quite durable.

This is an excellent choice, as is General Finishes 450 exterior grade clear finish.

Epifanes has a good reputation, but in the last ten years many millions of dollars have been spent in R&D on water base Finishes. GF 450 is one of the best available today.

i was sceptical of using a water based finish for exterior use for some reason, even after putting a gallon or 2 on houses and such over the years.
but now im sold and its all i use.
i have the break down and give 450 a try. actually, i gotta break down and try any GF product. i havent read or heard anything but good about them.