iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

think i

Started by coxy, May 14, 2017, 07:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

hit the jock pot  the last few years has been hard to find someone to haul firewood and some logs to the ash mill finely found an older gent that was friends with my dad to do my trucking he hauled 3 loads of ash this weekend for me 1 yesterday and 2 today told him last night he didn't have to haul today as its mothers day he chuckled on the phone and said whats that have to do with me the last time i looked i had things a woman don't :D :D I'm working about  3 miles from my house on 1 job that is a lot of tsi so the wood is nice he told me he would haul 5 loads if he could get a load  :o thought that's not fair so agreed on 4 loads and he gets 1 my other job is 15miles away and told me 100 a load  and if i want to sell him wood he will give me 400 on the landing so think i got a keeper

BargeMonkey

The guys willing to truck other guys wood are getting fewer around by us. DOT is really starting to break heads up here, we just got a nasty note in the mail for a couple grand and our trucks are kept up pretty well, I don't know how some of these other guys are keeping a truck on the road.

coxy

ya same here the DOT has got rid of a few junkyard trucks but they are putting a strain on some of the good guys also  there is still a few that need to get the red flag but they haul real late or on the weekend

Woodhauler

I have to keep my truck in tip top shape! Every out of service you get from DOT makes your insurance go up by 300 bucks a year! and trust me , they don't need much of a reason to red flag you! I have spent a 1000 bucks this spring on just cleaning and polishing my truck. Still have one more day of work on it
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

nativewolf

That's great!  Lets you focus on your business! 
Liking Walnut

coxy

Woodhauler a few years before dad passed away he got nailed in the DOT the lady cop made a few smart remarks before she went through the truck with a fine comb but anyway when she was done she gave him a ticket for a cracked tail light  i  have to give you a ticket for something   :D she said i though i was going to have your truck towed off the road but this is in great shape  the truck is a 85 gmc brig 10 wheeler with a 671 Detroit every time she seen him after that she would wave as he drove by  :)  i know a few people with trucks that are a few years old and don't think i would drive them around on the landing that's how bad they are

bill m

I was just told that this fall during all commercial truck inspections the they will be pulling the wheels. An inspection on an 18 wheeler could cost between $500 and $800.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

nativewolf

I don't know diddly about trucking so could someone explain what they're so concerned about that would cause them to pull wheels? 
Liking Walnut

snowstorm

What is the point of pulling the wheels? I can look into this and will. But to do what look at the breaker shoes? If you don't have backing plates you can see everything. Even with plates most have a small hole so you can see the shoes. You may have heard it but I don't see it happening

snowstorm

The hardest part of pulling brake drums with buds wheels is taking the tire off. Then back off the adjuster hang off comes the drum. Dayton wheels are a little more involved. Pull the axle bearing nut and outer bearing. And a chance of spilling a little gear oil all over the nice clean dot parking lot

nativewolf

Thanks snowstorm.  Didn't make sense to me so maybe something odd was miscommunicated?  Wouldn't that take forever?  Wouldn't that really destroy trucking schedules? 
Liking Walnut

sawguy21

They are not being paid to to  be concerned with schedules. A few years ago a friend got stopped as he pulled onto the highway with a fresh sticker on the windshield. When he pointed it out the inspector told him " I don't care about that, if I want to find something wrong I will" and wrote him up for a supposedly improperly adjusted mirror.  ::) I have dealt with the CVSE people and found most are just trying to do their jobs and keep the roads safe but have run into some real power trippers.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mike_belben

They are entirely corrupt.  I got put out of service and impounded my trailer for a home made maine registration.  Its a very long story.. Cost me $3000 and a criminal charge i plea bargained out of. 

Middletown NY exits 3 4 5 6 i think on 84.  Never ever stop.  I was sleeping at a rest area and this lady tries to enter my personal truck..  Not for hire right in it pulling a junky gooseneck empty to my own eviction that day at noon in massachusetts.   She called the constable and said i would be missing it. 

$750/hr for the tow cash only.. and $125/day storage for the trailer pending an investigation that they refused to do for a month.  I called every day and got lie after lie after lie.   

Tell everyone you know.. A home made tag in the state of NY is illegal.  The procedure is to impound it, vin it and auction it off.  They keep the money and you get a collections agent chasing you for storage on the property they stole from you.

Tyranny.

Praise The Lord

coxy

I know a few people with home made trailers and they never had issues  take your trailer get it weighted go to DMV they give you all the paper work  maybe cause you where from out of state  :-\   I got nailed a few years ago pulling a trailer with a derby car on it and they gave me a ticket for no inspection sticker never said anything about the expired registration  ??? and nether did I  :D

sawguy21

A home made tag? Are you talking about a tag axle or a license tag? I can see her having a problem with the latter. I had an interesting experience at U.S. customs. The trailer was subject to inspection because it was being left for use in the U.S., I got shut down because it didn't have a DOT number. A call to the Canadian manufacturer told me they didn't sell trailers in the U.S. so had never registered. A very helpful customs agent had some old tags that were no longer being used, assigned a number, installed the sticker then roughed it up and smeared dirt on it. Have a nice day. :D

mike_belben

Maine registers out of state trailer fleets including home made trailers with no vin until about a year ago.. My 5yr plate was still valid just not renewable.  Each state gets to decide if thats okay with them (and to squeeze you for huge excise taxes more and more are poo pooing it.)  New york decided that no matter where you are from you cannot pass through their state with any trailer not sporting a vin.  If caught they take it, vin it title it and auction it.

Theres no sign to tell you that, and goodluck leaving new england without passing through new yorks shakedown system. 
Praise The Lord

Woodhauler

Quote from: mike_belben on May 17, 2017, 11:21:16 PM
Maine registers out of state trailer fleets including home made trailers with no vin until about a year ago.. My 5yr plate was still valid just not renewable.  Each state gets to decide if thats okay with them (and to squeeze you for huge excise taxes more and more are poo pooing it.)  New york decided that no matter where you are from you cannot pass through their state with any trailer not sporting a vin.  If caught they take it, vin it title it and auction it.

Theres no sign to tell you that, and goodluck leaving new england without passing through new yorks shakedown system.
I have registered several homemade trailers in maine, and town clerk ALWAYS asked me for vin number! This hs been going on for a few years. I would say my first one was 5 years ago. She is very up to date on the codes to register things! So I would say your town clerk dropped the ball.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

David-L

I run farm plates on my log truck and have to make it safe but don't go through the DOT inspection. Cost me 125$. I can only haul my stuff and not do custom contract for anyone. My take is things are to geared to making money off of our backs. This is my first truck and making it safe was expensive, sure they could find something wrong and thats why I always take the alternate route. Quite a country we live in.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

snowstorm

Quote from: mike_belben on May 17, 2017, 11:21:16 PM

out of state fleets with out a vin   no nope. i aways have to have a vin. i just asked the one who thinks she is boss. she over sees the reg of over 2000 trailers

mike_belben

Out of state, homemade.

Mainetrailerregistration.com did it from the time they got a website until they were forced to stop two years ago.  Its not like there was some big disclaimer on their website saying "this will get you in trouble."  far as i knew i was complying with the law like everyone else.  You find out they got it wrong when you get impounded.
Praise The Lord

TreesLogan

They are definitely making sure that they get their piece of every pie they can and the more the better I read today that the sovereign citizen movement has found a way to drive without license, insurance or registration some supposed loophole they have found. From what I gathered it only works on a personal transportation vehicle though. Also they get pulled over A LOT. They have to explain each time the loophole and sometimes appear in court to fight. seems like a huge hassle to me.

Also the no insurance is mind boggling to me an accident can be insanely expensive I would hate to be self insuring if I was in one.
When you wake up and realize you sarificed your passion for a dollar that never came. At least I am awake now. http://www.treeserviceloganut.com

sawguy21

A home built trailer without a vin is an open invitation to thieves, there is no way to trace it. They could also grind the numbers off any trailer and register it as a home built. Dumping stolen snowmobiles and atv's from out of province was a serious problem here until the government mandated registration of all units used on public land.
The other issue is safety. Homebuilts have to be inspected before a vin is assigned and the unit registered. I have seen some real junk being pulled on the roads, one was a travel trailer where the walls separated from the floor. We were held up for over an hour while the driver and police cleared the wreckage.

Thank You Sponsors!