iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Riehl board edger

Started by paul case, May 13, 2017, 10:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

http://www.riehlsteel.com/products/sawmill-board-edger/

I have been using a Baker circle board edger for about 18 months now and it works well, but is an absolute pain in the neck to change the blades on. As a matter of fact one of the blades I have never been able to change.

I recently seen a thread here that mentioned Riehl's edger. I decided to look into them some and found that it is about the most reasonable priced auto feed edger out there. I ordered it about 3 weeks ago. Darin was so helpful and was able to arrange shipping fairly reasonable and I received it last Tuesday. It took me about 1 hour to get it functional and most of that time was getting it out of the box. He really didn't want it moving around in there cause it was hooked down real well.I bought the one with the 13hp honda motor.

We used it on some 1'' cedar and cut maybe 50 boards and it did ok but wasnt feeding very good and then I realized there was an adjustment on the hold down rolls and when I got a little more pressure on them it pulls them right on through. The blades will be real easy to change since the whole top opens up. We ran those 50 cedar 1x4 and 1233 ft of various width red oak 4/4 through it on 1 gallon of gas. We did raise it up 7'' by putting some RR ties under the feet as it was making me have to bend some to adjust the blade.

I think this edger would work real well for a portable set up as it would break down real easy. Just loosen 2 bolts and the out feed table comes off and 1 bolt for each leg and they come off. 2 men could load it onto your mill or in the back of a pickup.

There are 2 things about the Baker that I  didn't care for. The blades were hard to change and the movable blade would stick and was hard to shift. I think The Riehl edger has solved those 2 problems for me.

BTW I did encourage Darin to advertise on the Forestry Forum. He told me someone else had told him that this forum was a good place to advertise. Maybe he will.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

4x4American

Well good deal!  So how long before you make it electric?  ;D
Boy, back in my day..

Ohio_Bill

Sounds like a nice piece of equipment. Is that a hydraulic tank on the side of the edger?
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Peter Drouin

Sounds like a good one. 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Brad_bb

I agree, I'd need an electric motor- 220V single phase, hopefully.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

paul case

I am pretty suprised about it not being louder than it is. We dont have the edger running all the time, since it takes 2 people. We pile up our flitches and edge out when we get enough for a load. An electric motor is in the works and I already have a 15hp 3 phase which will be overkill but I have it so thats probably what it will be.

The Baker edger puts the motor over the top of the blades and the guard slides out the side. That puts the fixed blade right under the motor with less than a foot of room and the countersunk allen head bolts go in from the back side. I dont have very good luck with things I cannot see and my head wont fit there.

Riehl sells one without a motor so you can retro fit it with an electric motor.

PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

47sawdust

That's a good price for an edger.I don't see a fence for edging boards with 1 sawn edge.Do you aim and shoot every board?Not a big deal for someone with a good eye.
Bill,I believe that is the gas tank,no hydraulics.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Bruno of NH

I suggested he advertise on the FF
I'm trying like the dickens to make an edger happen for me.
He has a 20 or 24 up honda option to
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

4x4American

My old boss would see me plugging in a drop light and tell me mechanics do things by feel what do ya need that light for!!
Boy, back in my day..

paul case

No fence for 1 edged boards, but mine soon will have one. I do ok at aiming on the ones with one good edge but come out with some slivers that are a pain to keep up with.

The larger engine has that gas tank but the 13 hp Honda doesn't as the gas tank is on the motor.

We ran a couple pieces of 1 1/2'' lumber through it making 2 cuts and it did fine. Darin put the fixed blade in 3 1/2'' for me so I could saw 2 stringers out of a board that already had 1 good edge. Darin also set it up on the slower speed for me but I believe it would do fine running faster and I may switch it. We are not high speed and require breaks regularly.

I also like that the boards 10' and under stay on the table when they come out. The baker required another roller table there and it was always in the way. The outfeed table has no sides on it above the deck so boards can be steered to a stack right next to the edger and Scott and Dakota like that.

I am not dissing the Baker by no means. It has served me well. I got it used. The belt feed and hydraulic feed speed control are nice and work very well. By all accounts it has a lot of life left in it.

PC
pc

campwags

Thanks for the great review.  The price is nice on the Riehl edger.  Do you feel a solo operator can edge safely on the Riehl or would something like the WM EG50 be better?

It has been raining  here in NH for several days so I have been reading and learning a lot on the boards here.

:P
Life is for Living, Loving and Laughing; Not Crying and Complaining!

TK 2000, Woodmaster 718, Kioti DK65s w/Farmi JL501, Kioti NX4510 and a Kubota KX 41-3 excavator, Japa firewood processor and an assortment of trailers, solar kiln and out buildings.

paul case

The way we are set up in a building it is almost impossible to edge alone. Too much stuff around the edger. But if you were outside and didnt have to keep stuff so tidy you might be able to edge alone.

The WM EG50 works ok with a solo operator since you have to push it thru by hand, but you would sure do a lot of walking.

I would rather edge on the mill than try to edge on a edger alone.

PC
pc

paul case

I have just listed my used baker edger on the for sale page.

I really like the reihl and we are getting along real well with it. Since Dakota is out of school, he and Scott edged out the last bundle of 10'RO for a load I took in this morning. That was the first time Scott has fed the edger since we had the WM single.

PC
pc

xlogger

Paul how has the edger doing? Anything you would add to it?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

paul case

Working real well.
My 2 boys have actually used it much more than I have.

I will say DO NOT REMOVE THE UNDER BLADE GUARD!

I did because it catches chunks that get in the way on odd shaped peices. I fixed up a conveyor under the edger and a skirt to funnel the dust and cuttings into the conveyor. On the start of the day June 6 of this year 2017 the conveyor plugged up and I failed to shut off the machine to look into the conveyor plug problem. I lifted the black skirt up with my left hand to investigate and the blade(because I took the guard off) caught my left glove and drug my hand into the blades almost completely severing my thumb. I had to have it amputated and had 4 other cuts on my fingers that required stitches. I am just about all healed up but I keep finding new things that are harder to do without my left thumb.

I like the edger. I see in the future putting a electric motor on it but for now It is good. We stack up our flitches and edge them all at once so it doesnt set there running all the time. Shifting widths is easy and the only real troubles we have had is with boards that have a whole bunch of tension and pinch the blades or kill the motor. We had them set it at the factory with the fixed blade 3.5'' from the side so we could cut 2 pallet stringers from pieces that have 1 good edge.

PC
pc

Percy

Oh man!! Sorry about your thumb!!!😳😳😳
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Paintman

I'm in the market for an edger and I think the 28" option they have may just be the ticket! I will be calling them first thing Monday to get a price on one.
2017 woodmizer lt40 super with lube mizer and debarker.

samandothers

Sorry to hear you lost your thumb.  :o

Sometimes for one reason or another we do away with safe guards. Best to reconsider those decisions, though I too am guilty. Sorry this happened and glad it was not to one of the boys.

barbender

PC, I'm very sorry to hear about your thumb.
Too many irons in the fire

Ohio_Bill

I ordered one also and it should be here next week. They are going to deliver and set it up.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

paul case

Oh sweet!
I actually set mine up on some RR ties on edge so it would not make me bend over to run it.

PC
pc

Ljohnsaw

Question for all you guys using these edgers... Is the finished board straight and accurate enough to feed into a T&G machine?  On a different thread I am told the boards need to be very consistent - within 1/8".  Does the 13hp Honda have enough power to saw both sides of 2" pine?  Or does the extra $1,100 give you more speed as well with the 20hp?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Bruno of NH

Buy it without an engine and put a 22 go
Predator on it.
You will save $400
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Southside

I had a 25HP Kohler put on mine, for less than the 20 Honda, and Darin sourced some fine cut, basically glue line blades for me for KD lumber. 

Ran 500 bft of pine and 100 bft of cherry day before yesterday through the edger then the moulder, zero hickups. Have 500 bf of oak I edged last evening to run through today. 

I don't think you can buy a better machine when it comes to cut quality. Others may be the same, but cost more. I know of another brand that had to take back a machine that would not cut straight. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ljohnsaw

Southside Logger,
What kind of moulder are you running?   Do you edge a bunch then mould or do you try to keep the standby of stock limited to cut down on wood movement (bow/twist) while it waits?

If I'm looking at a $12-18k bill to have my rough lumber sized and T&G'd.  I'm trying to figure out how to buy the right mix of equipment to get the job done for that amount.  Buying the Riehl bare and sourcing an inexpensive (CL) engine is a good start.  It would be even better if I could get a moulder that was gas powered!  Otherwise I would have to get a better generator to run that.  For fire protection, the County has specified I need to get an auto start genny to run my 2hp fire pump.  Maybe up-size that to use with the moulder.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!