iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My next mill must have . . . . .

Started by Darrel, May 13, 2017, 10:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel

I'm starting to think about my next mill. Won't happen this year, but shooting for 2018 or 19.  Also, there are options available now that are not on my current mill, a 1992 LT40HDG24. I have done a whole lot of reading here on the forum from a lot of mill owner/sawyers and have seen what they say about their mills, both new and used.  There are many positive things said about some options and yes an occasional negative about other options. My list is based first of all on my own experience with my good but old mill and then on what I have read of your experience. 

So if you were to order a new mill, what would be on your list of must have options and why?

Here's mine.

Debarker
Fine adjust outriggers
Accuset
More power (diesel, I'm portable)
Bi-Plane clamp
Wider capacity (I had to whittle down a juniper last month to get it to fit between the guides and I was wanting live edge.)
Faster hydraulics (for me, I don't so much need more production, I just get board waiting)

Would be nice to have but not a must

Chain log turner
Board return
Longer capacity
Lube-mizer

Probably wouldn't use

High performance blade guides
Lap siding attachment (I don't use the one I have)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Percy

From reading your wish list, you may like a super Hydralic lt40. I have a lt70 with chain turner and vertical backstops. I spent a little time on a lt40 super a few months ago and I could never go back to the claw and the sideways backdtops. So you may consider an lt50 if you dont like waiting 🤡
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

dgdrls

Easy, a Diesel powered dimension mill with hydraulic rise and fall.
If I could get the right site it would be all electric. 

D

4x4American

I would add a cupholder, and maybe a laser.  They don't give you no secure place to set your coffee!
Boy, back in my day..

Darrel

Cup holder, now that is a good reason not to have the walk along controls. I'll get the command control mounted on the hitch end of the mill and mount the cup holder on it somewhere. Less chance of getting juniper flavored coffee that way.  :D :D :D
1992 LT40HD

KirkD

Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

YellowHammer

Quote from: 4x4American on May 14, 2017, 08:38:17 AM
I would add a cupholder, and maybe a laser.  They don't give you no secure place to set your coffee!

I use wide strips of adhesive backed velco on the cover of my Accuset lid to hold my tape measure, my clipboard, and yes, my cup holder.  ;D.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Kbeitz

I use super magnets to hold my tape measure and clip board.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

coyotebait

Quote from: Darrel on May 14, 2017, 10:52:12 PM
Cup holder, now that is a good reason not to have the walk along controls. I'll get the command control mounted on the hitch end of the mill and mount the cup holder on it somewhere. Less chance of getting juniper flavored coffee that way.  :D :D :D
maybe a thermos with a 2 valve dripper:D

4x4American

I mount my tape measure on me, otherwise I'd do way too much walking.  My tape is an extension of my body.  I use it as a pointer, a poker, a pusher, a puller, and sometimes I measure stuff with it :D
Boy, back in my day..

KirkD

Quote from: 4x4American on May 15, 2017, 09:50:56 PM
I mount my tape measure on me, otherwise I'd do way too much walking.  My tape is an extension of my body.  I use it as a pointer, a poker, a pusher, a puller, and sometimes I measure stuff with it :D

I need "tapes" then I might find one :D
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

Darrel

Quote from: KirkD on May 15, 2017, 09:58:44 PM

Yup. That's me I will need a mill with a dozen tape holders! :D
1992 LT40HD

Kbeitz

Quote from: Darrel on May 15, 2017, 11:20:15 PM
Quote from: KirkD on May 15, 2017, 09:58:44 PM

Yup. That's me I will need a mill with a dozen tape holders! :D

A dozen E-bay super magnets....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

terrifictimbersllc

I see people talking with their hands a lot mostly ladies but never with a tape measure.

Last year one guy's wife drove us to the airport talking with both hands most of the way.  :o :o :o
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Darrel

Probably one of the things that I know the least about is the chain log turner. I guess I'll have to make the 330 mile trip to Portland to see one. Does the chain turner have any advantage over the claw other than speed?
1992 LT40HD

Percy

Quote from: Darrel on May 16, 2017, 09:42:48 AM
Probably one of the things that I know the least about is the chain log turner. I guess I'll have to make the 330 mile trip to Portland to see one. Does the chain turner have any advantage over the claw other than speed?
Yes. It turns small logs easily, especially in the opposite direction of a claw turner. As with a claw turner, logs need to be centered/balanced over the chain turner for optim results. Two chain turners would be........awesome...
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

grouch

Good stout hydraulic legs so I can walk the thing down in the holler to get the logs.
And stout hydraulic arms to grab the logs and maneuver 'em around.
And leather upholstery in the air conditioned cab.
And a fridge.
Good soundproofing so I can watch the sawing while listening to music.

All solar powered, of course. I'm not in a big hurry.

Hey, you asked.
Find something to do that interests you.

Darrel

You don't want much do you grouch?  While you are wishing for those stout hydraulic arms and legs you might as well wish for the mill to be stout enough for it to saw up one log whilst walking to the next and for the arms to be stout enough to sticker stack the lumber in your cheap Gothic arch solar kiln whilst walking the mill back home.

:D :D
1992 LT40HD

grouch

Naw, taking the lumber back for drying is the job of the drone forwarder. Can't be tyin' up my rider sawmill with such drudge work!

Bugs don't seem to have a problem with rough landscape, so a mill needs 6 legs. The cab should be level regardless of the terrain -- can't be spilling my drinks or knocking my eats to the floor just cuz of hills and valleys. Oh, it has to be quiet, too. Don't want to disturb the critters just to harvest some trees.

Seriously, my all manual mill is the cheapest* I thought I could get by with and still saw useful lumber for myself. Anything that helps manipulate the log and cant would be on my wish list. (And that kiln you mentioned is not cooperating on its cost as much as I'd hoped).

*(At the time, Woodland Mills' cheapest model was about 50% more than HF. If buying now, there'd be no contest -- I'd have darker green).
Find something to do that interests you.

esteadle

I want a custom paint job. Purple polka dots and dinosaurs. Stripes maybe. And teeth.

Darrel

Quote from: esteadle on May 18, 2017, 09:47:28 PM
I want a custom paint job. Purple polka dots and dinosaurs. Stripes maybe. And teeth.

How can you beat the pinky orange of a Wood-Mizer?  And for what it's worth, my mill has teeth, 2 rows of'em spaced every 7/8". 
1992 LT40HD

Thank You Sponsors!