iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Button only Garmin GPS (ie GPSMap64s) and adding an aerial photo to the device

Started by SwampDonkey, May 13, 2017, 05:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I just acquired a new Garmin GPSMap 64S and I was doing some research online about the possibility of adding an aerial photo. I never found anything specific, except digitizing paper maps and adding this as an "Image Overlay" in Google Earth. Well now, that got me thinking. If they can digitize a map, register it's location in Google Earth, load it into the GPS and show it onscreen, then they sure can an aerial photo. The GPS handles jpeg files for images. Here is a video of how I go about it. Have fun. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkfDqIeQ-bc
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doctorb

Nice video.  I can see where the combination of the GPS and the photo would be helpful.  Thanks SD
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

Just this morning I did a digital copy of a paper map as well. It's a contour map with stream and lake names, that most travel maps would not show. It had the Houltan Maine area and over in New Brunswick around Woodstock as well. Most of the coverage on the map was in New Brunswick, which suggests it was probably a Canadian map. I cut it off on the east side along Route 1 in Maine. Shown here in Google Earth. Google put the title and legend there, that would not be on the GPS since this was a 'save image' and not a snapshot.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!