iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Graduation

Started by paul case, May 12, 2017, 11:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

My Wife and I attended her nephew's High School graduation this evening. I guess there was about 35 graduating seniors and half a million people crammed into that little gym at the high school. I first was relieved to see no let down screen for a video. I thought that that would keep it from being too long. The  sound was so that I couldnt hear a word of the sal. or val. speeches and then it happened. They started with the scholarships. I tried to keep track and best of my ability I figured $200,000 worth of scholarships. Of course some of that money was broken up by year for 5 years of college and such. There was only 12 of the students recieved any of these scholarships, but giving those out took more than half the time of the 2 hour graduation. Whatever happened to simple. Just because it took longer doesn't exactly mean that it was a better ceremony. I bet there was between 75 and 100 people that left because it was so long and it was getting warm in that gym.

Maybe I am too grippy, but I felt sorry for the other 23 seniors that didnt receive any scholarships. Did I mention every seat in the whole place was full, so I stood against a wall for the whole 2 hours of it?

Next Friday is my hometown's HS graduation. My 15yo son's girl friend  will graduate. She informed us they will have that many scholarships and will have a video. She expects it to last 3 hours. I think I will pack a sack lunch.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

sandsawmill14

2 of my nephews graduated last night and the place was packed :o there was roughly 110 grads and it lasted about 2 hrs as well :) it was a good night but i was glad to get headed home myself ;)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

coxy

the scholarships are good  but  jmop its like they rub it in to the no so smart kids

sandsawmill14

i agree coxy   ::) their are some kids that would try really hard if they were given a chance that will never get to go :-\  they have separate award nights/dinners at our local high school that are by invitation only so its as bad as some places  but they do give a few awards during the graduation :)

tree-farmer

Yes, they can be boring, tedious events. Even at that, better for the kids getting attention for a  job accomplished rather than on the 6 o clock news for boosting a car or worse.
Young folks today face issues that did not even exist when us older types came down the pipe. Encourage them at every oppertunity, even if it a boring as watching paint dry.  :D
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

thecfarm

I was not the smartest kid and now I'm not the smallest adult.  :D
I looked up to the smart ones in school. I felt they earned those scholarships. I was and am not college material. I knew than as I know now,I just can not do it. And I am one that hate that "can't" word too.
I am going to be getting ready to go to the granddaughter college gradution this morning and than in a few weeks the grandson high school gradution. He won't be getting any scholships.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandsawmill14

and you have to think about alot of those kids (especially boys ) are smart enough to make the grades but not smart enough to realize how important it is ::)  such as me i went to snaking logs late in the summer i graduated with a ford jubilee and pair of horses and aint never looked back ;D some of us just aint cut out for college  :-\ but as long as there is ditches we are gonna need ditch diggers  :D :D :D and the trades is something that has all but vanished from the public schools around here anyway ::)

sandsawmill14

by the way congrats to all the grads and families :)

thecfarm

And as long as it's honest work,it doesn't matter.  ;D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

I feel your pain.
When our grandkids lived in Hillburn NY we attended 3 graduations there in a large school,
8th grade grad was 360 some odd kids and took almost 3 hrs, high school even worse.
Diploma awarding alone took almost 45 minutes.
very disheartening
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

coxy

I was not a school person I wanted to quit but my dad wouldn't let me so I did something and got kicked out  :o  :-X he was not happy

sandsawmill14

thats sorta the way i was coxy :D i got suspended for 5 days one time but dad seen to it that it never happened again :o :D :D :D   im lucky with my girls my oldest graduated last year and got alot of scholarship money and my youngest daughter is very smart but she lets school stress her to much :( she came in one day all upset becase she got a bad grade on a test and i ask her what she made and she said 94 :o ::) :D  she has a 4.0 and says its not gonna get any lower :) i dont know where she got it from but it was from me :D :D :D

Bruno of NH

We got awards for shop and building trades.
Only because the building trades teacher Insited .
The other teaches couldn't stand it.
I'm still close friends with my building trades teacher he is dying of cancer :(
When I got a name for myself as a good builder in town the teachers that didn't like me in school wanted me to work for them .
No way!!
I'm to good for them now :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

paul case

I don't remember that anyone in my graduating class received any scholarships at the graduation ceremonies, but several of us got our college paid for in some fashion or another. Yep I am a 2yr college grad with an associates degree in ag bus. management. I have never been employed by someone else in that field. Manage my own if that counts.
My 22yo son, that is my head sawyer, also has a 2yr degree and after his 6 month internship, while in school, he graduated and was offered 2 different jobs that paid well and had benefits. He turned them down and went back to sawing for me. He said he worked in the big factory enough to know that wasn't for him.

My 15yo son has a little trouble applying himself. He could do anything he wants, but we have trouble getting him to do anything. I hope he finds his ''it'' soon cause this is driving me nuts. (easy for me since it is such a short trip). He says he is going to go to the local tech school to learn diesel mechanics, which I am fine with. The trouble is I cannot get him to help with anything sometimes even working on a motor or tractor or such. Why God ever put middle aged and teenaged together I will never understand.

I think about these graduating today and wonder if there will be any of the same opportunities that were around when I was there. Both of my sons seem to like taking care of cattle and the land and that a real rarity if both of them stick around. Only time will tell.

Thanks for your responses to my brainless ramblings. It is good to know I am not the only one having trouble with this stuff.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WV Sawmiller

Our little HS has an awards night separate from graduation so that helps. The last politician we had speak at graduation was several years ago when we had Sen. Robert Byrd. We may never have another thanks to the memory. It was threatening to rain like Moses ready to part the Red Sea. He talked until he was blue in the face and us fidgiting in the bleachers as an outdoor graduation. Finished before the rain but we all got soaked on the way to the parking lot. Now the top several kids do the speeches and life is better.

Unfortunately too often in our area the scholarships are sort of a popularity contest instead of for deserving kids. We have seen a number of kids who were big fish in our little pond but were home in less than a year as they could not adapt to life away from Mommy and Daddy. Maybe we were bad parents because both our kids were ready to live independently and anxious to get out on their own. We always said our goal was to raise them to be independent and it worked with both of them.

Anyway, our best to the graduates. Your real lessons are about to begin.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

coxy

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on May 13, 2017, 08:01:03 AM
thats sorta the way i was coxy :D i got suspended for 5 days one time but dad seen to it that it never happened again :o :D :D :D   im lucky with my girls my oldest graduated last year and got alot of scholarship money and my youngest daughter is very smart but she lets school stress her to much :( she came in one day all upset becase she got a bad grade on a test and i ask her what she made and she said 94 :o ::) :D  she has a 4.0 and says its not gonna get any lower :) i dont know where she got it from but it was from me :D :D :D
I know what you mean my 20 year old daughter is going to collage be a RN (and those brains never ever came from me) the nicest part is her job is picking up the bill as long as she get a c average my 10 year old daughter is always in the shop trying to help me work on things I keep telling her I don't need help loosing tools thats the one thing I'm good at  :D :D but she likes getting greasy so who knows what she will want to do

gspren

Coxy, one of the better chainsaw/small engine mechanics in our area is a woman, nothing wrong with that.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Sixacresand

Paul Case,  Looks like you all did a good job raising your sons.  Equally important, you can provide jobs for them. 

Graduations:  Worse than the long winded speakers, for me, is the heat.  However, May 71, when I graduated college, it was freezing.

Sandsawmil14:   My Granddaddy used to ask, "If everybody goes to college, who is going to the do the work?"   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

We have a Granddaughter, Marty's Daughter, graduating from college today!!   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

grouch

Didn't attend either of my two offspring's college graduations. (Each advised me it would be just wasted time). Can't remember if I attended either high school graduation. DanG sure didn't attend any 8th grade "graduation".  They've turned out ok in spite of pompous, contrived ceremonies.
Find something to do that interests you.

rjwoelk

Come June 12 , my  25 year old daughter, who has been in the navy reserve since 16 will graduate from the RCMP in Regina Sk. 6 months of intense training. As of today they still have all 32 troops.  This has only happened 1 or 2 times before.
I will need to make sure I don't have a button up shirt on at thre grad.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

sandsawmill14

Quote from: Sixacresand on May 13, 2017, 09:51:43 AM
Paul Case,  Looks like you all did a good job raising your sons.  Equally important, you can provide jobs for them. 

Graduations:  Worse than the long winded speakers, for me, is the heat.  However, May 71, when I graduated college, it was freezing.

Sandsawmil14:   My Granddaddy used to ask, "If everybody goes to college, who is going to the do the work?"

sounds like your granddad was a smart man :)  what they dont teach kids in school now is that manual labor has to be done and on a personal level we have to do it ourselves or pay someone to do it  and as Americans we have to do it  ourselves or have immigrants do it :-\ and we all know how that worked out ::) i prefer the we do it ourselves  ;D now how do we get the education system to teach this ??? :D :D :D

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on May 13, 2017, 10:01:32 AM
We have a Granddaughter, Marty's Daughter, graduating from college today!!   :)

Since she had spent 4+ years earning that diploma, you had better believe that we spent 8 hours round trip traveling and then ~3 hours of sitting, waiting, and watching her walk across that stage.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

reedco

Congratulations to all. Lots of good points,Lots of good students ,Grateful for smart people, hard working people. Some in my family make for good bragging, I need a smart one to tell me how to sell some of this forever wind.
Not many trees

samandothers

Congratulations to all the graduates.  It does take a lot to get through school on both parents and the student,well worth celebrating!

Thank You Sponsors!