iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hand Chain saw

Started by 5crows, August 09, 2019, 09:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5crows

I recently got a hand chainsaw (double sided chain with 25 ft cords attached to it's ends). Very happy with it so far. 

Did make some mod's to improve it. Soak in oil before use. Attached some fluorescent straps on both chain ends. Also extended the cords to get higher into tree.

Use a throw line/bag to loop over target branch. Then pull up the cord saw until chain is positioned over the branch, and start sawing it back and forth, standing at maybe 30 degrees to the side. Branch comes down pretty easily and so far I haven't gotten it stuck up out of reach. 

Works great for limbs above the reach of the pole saw and in tree's where climbing is sketchy. 

Any others using them?
Things may come to those that wait, but only what's left

Crusarius

Sounds like it may be worth looking into. I have so many dead branches in my yard out of reach of conventional methods.

DDW_OR

how would a sling-shot work?.
"let the machines do the work"

thecfarm

One member used a bow and arrow.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

And a 12 gauge with 5 shot when the arrow gets hung up when the mason line unhooks leaving the arrow laying across two twigs at about 80ft up.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom King

I made one from a cable saw for cutting PVC pipe in tight spots.  It doesn't cut as fast as the chain ones, once you get them going, but it's more foolproof, and even though it's slower, it's not particular about the angles you're pulling from, or getting bound up in a cut.

Thank You Sponsors!