iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trees for pasture

Started by Lnewman, May 12, 2017, 10:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lnewman

i'm clearing some land for pasture but would like to keep a few good trees for shade for the cattle.  Any recommendations for a good tree species to plant or leave in Lowland pasture and Benchland pasture and hillside pasture?
Stihl 170, 210MS, 290MS, 441MS and Hudson bandsaw

dnalley

i heard my Dad talk about burying 10 or 12 of the finest cows he'd ever seen with a 955, from standing under a pasture tree during a thunderstorm.  Just food for thought :o       (edit- just found this to be a double post.  didn't see the earlier one)   dwight                                           

Texas Ranger

pole barn might be better.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

nativewolf

Well, keeping the trees fenced off will be key.  Your issue might be that the trees in PA are going to grow so slowly that they won't produce shade for a decade at least.  Almost any tree works, I avoid walnuts due to not liking to slip on walnuts in the fall.  Ash would have been nice (but no more), maple would be good think as the develop large crowns in the open, Locust are nice too and are nitrogen fixers.

A lean-to might be a faster way to get them shade though.
Liking Walnut

Ron Wenrich

We had a bunch of honey locust come into the mill one time and they were used more along fence rows.  Seems that the pods added to the browse for the cattle.  The biggest problem with cattle and trees is the amount of soil compaction you get from the cows.  Soil compaction will kill trees.  If you want to provide shade, it might be better from the other side of the fence.  Avoid cherry, as the wilted leaves contain cyanide.  A strong storm can send them into your pasture.

As an aside to black locust and nitrogen fixation; that's true, but they use to plant black locust around barns as they seemed to attract lightning.  They now have lightning rods on barns, and it isn't as prevalent.  Just something to think about if you are using it as a pasture tree.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on May 14, 2017, 11:23:37 AMThe biggest problem with cattle and trees is the amount of soil compaction you get from the cows.  Soil compaction will kill trees.

Soo true. Three years back I fenced in a pasture with about 3 acres of aspen/maple/ash. I'd say that probably 1/3 of the trees are already showing heavy crown dieback, figure within a few years it will all be dead or dieing.

Lnewman

Soil compaction is not a problem in sandy soils    It certainly is not a problem with the boxelder trees in the pasture now.  Like the idea of black locusts but they do shed branches easily

Chuck White

In this area, quite a few farms have Thorn Apple scattered here and there in their pastures!

It's actually IMO one of the best choices because they don't get very tall, and they have a wide canopy when they reach maturity!

Just have to be mindful of the thorns!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Lnewman

Instead of Thornapple what about a real Apple tree

chevytaHOE5674

Be careful with apple trees in the pasture. 2 years back I lost a nice heifer who choked on an apple.

Thank You Sponsors!