iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to milling

Started by Jglaza, May 12, 2017, 07:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jglaza

Hi I'm new here and also to milling, I've read a lot about it, purchased a stihl 461 magnum, a 24" and 32" bar for it, I've ran the 24" on it a few times on my mill, it seems to be ok, one thing I'm trying. I am trying to see what others are using as a guide for there Mills? For doing the initial cut, I've been using a piece of hard maple board, and screw it down, but have a lot of time shiming and leveling it to keep it nice and flat. I don't want to buy one, as I know it's something I can make or modify. Let me know if you got any ideas or advice please, thanks Jeff
Sthil ms461vw

dgdrls

Welcome to the FF,
I'm no help with a CSM but others here are.

Best

D

Brad_bb

Welcome to the addiction!
I have a Grandberg alaskan mill with 66" bar (will cut 56").  I use an old wooden farm ladder that is made from straight grain fir.  It's probably 60+ years old and had been in our barn forever.  Still very straight though.  I have made a bunch of wood wedges- a 5 gallon bucket full, and use plumbing steel strapping.  I put two straps over a rung on either end.  Yes setting up the ladder for the first cut is the longest part of it, but outside of building an entire fixture like a Lucas mill, I don't know if any easier way. Unfortunately I don't have a pic of it.  I'll have to take one next time I use it.

I only use my chainsaw mill on logs too big for my woodmizer band mill, for crotches, for table top slabs, and for forked or curved timbers that I cannot do on the woodmizer(for timberframing members).
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Jglaza!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Savannahdan

I use the remaining good half of an extension ladder.  The other half got clobbered by a falling limb during Hurricane Matthew last year.  I also have a 2x4 rail system using angle iron to hold onto the ends of the log.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Thank You Sponsors!