iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Verizon email address change question

Started by Jim_Rogers, May 12, 2017, 12:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Verizon has just notified me that they are leaving the email business. And if I want to keep my email address they will transfer me over to an AOL email account.
How is AOL email service?
Do you have any complaints about it?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

KirkD

That seems odd since they are in the middle of buying yahoo. AOL is free but don't know much about it. One of the best out there for free mail has to be googles gmail. I would go where you want and set one up then monitor your AOL account and start trying to move people over to your new one. May AOL will let you do a forward?
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

Jim_Rogers

It has taken me a while but I have moved all my email services to aol but kept my same email addresses.

Jim Rogers

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I honestly didn't realize AOL was still around.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

KirkD

So you are on AOL but the .com is still Verizon?

Jeff

Don't do it. Go to gmail.  AOL is unreliable Odds are, if you use AOL, you won't get Forestry Forum email notifications. Its horrible for that.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Jeff on May 12, 2017, 09:08:15 PM
Don't do it. Go to gmail.  AOL is unreliable Odds are, if you use AOL, you won't get Forestry Forum email notifications. Its horrible for that.
Well it's already done, so I don't want to notify hundreds and hundreds of contacts that my email address has changed. I may loose lots of business.
Jeff, send me a notice and I'll see if I get it.

Jim Rogers

21incher

Years ago I used AOL mail and I switched over to gmail after they started charging me because I went over their limit for free storage. There was no easy way to save any old mail to my computer to keep a record. I had to forward each email to my new gmail address to retain a copy. It was a hard system to leave. I read that gmail is the most secure mail system available for free now and you have full control of your mail. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

KirkD

I agree with Jeff go open a gmail account and use both but start encouraging people to use your gmail account. It may take awhile but they will figure it out. Also you can create a signature that has a notice in it of your gmail account.
I just checked and you can get gmail to bring your aol main in. Just google "forward aol mail to gmail"

Crusarius

Gmail has a much better spam filter than AOL. and avoid yahoo like the plague I am pretty sure that is how all bad everything is spread.

Jeff

Yahoo mail is bad bad bad because of the millions of accounts that were hacked.  Many times now mail servers simply reject mail coming from a yahoo account. AOL is just about as bad, not quite. Also avoid hotmail and msn mail.

Ox

How long until gmail is on "the list" of ones to avoid?  As people figure out it's better, they'll start migrating and then you know what happens. 

Sometimes it's crystal clear why I'm a hermit in real life.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Jeff

Gmail is a big part of google as well as the android platform supporting a good share of the phones in the world. If you have to worry about gmail, that will be just a tiny part of what you really will need to worry about.

Ox

Hmm.  I might hafta look into this more seriously...  thx for info
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Thank You Sponsors!