iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this an Elm?

Started by BradWood, May 11, 2017, 08:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradWood

I am having trouble telling if leaves are simple or compound despite drawings online.  I see the little buds/bumps and get a bit uncertain.

I am thinking this might be an elm, but the bark looks different to me(maybe cause it's small)..
I should have taken a better picture of the whole tree, it's fairly small though.

This has serrated edges and I think maybe an elm.  What do you guys think?

nativewolf

Flowering cherry of some sort.  See the horizontal bark ...forgot the term of art/science; but do you see how the bark has those little marks on it?  Now peel it and suck on a twig and it will taste bitter/smell like almonds if it is cherry (that is the cyanide sulfur compound).  Anyhow, Cherry.
Liking Walnut

TKehl

Not Elm.  Some kind of fruit tree.  (Or flowering fruitless variant that people plant because food all over their lawn would be terrible.   :D)

Best I can do.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Ianab

I'll go with Prunus avium, a type of cherry native to Europe, but commonly grown as an ornamental all over the world.

It has small red cherries that are popular with the birds, and so the seeds get spread easily and it's naturalised itself into many parts of the world.

Makes a decent ornamental tree as long as you have the space for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_avium
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

Elm leaves are doubly serrate (big teeth with some little teeth in between) and the leaf base is inequilateral.  That is, one side of the leaf base at the petiole is offset from the other.  Elm bark is more fissured and not smooth, and lenticels on the bark are not visible like on the cherry. 

http://www.treetopics.com/ulmus_americana/gallery2.htm  The offset bases in these pics are more exaggerated than what I usually see.  Still, the offset is obvious. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

derhntr

A cherry species is my guess as well.
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

BradWood

Thanks a bunch for the info guys.. You rock.  You guys are teaching me how to fish as the saying goes, which is what I'm after.  Figuring out how to tell them apart, etc.

Thank You Sponsors!