iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Gear Drive Saws&Chain size..

Started by weimedog, December 15, 2004, 04:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

Just got my hands on a "ebay" Homelite 1130 G  Automatic...(Great transaction by the way...another person who I will trust in the future should he put things on ebay..)

My question is this: Any way to graft a 3/8 bar&chain to one of these monsters?? This one and all the Gear drives I have seen to date have a 1/2 chain. The sproket looks to be unique to Gear drives as they are not a part of the Clutch.

I would like to blend my 3/8 bar for my Alaskan mill or another "thinner than 1/2" bar to this saw...Want to mill with it and retire my proven McCulloch to easier duty.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Lewis Brander

Hello wiemedog. Good luck on finding a 3/8" pitch sprocket for the 1130G. I don't have a parts book for that saw and don't know if a 3/8" sprocket was ever offered for that saw. I would call or contact L. Sam Hawkins, Hawkins Brotheres. 101 East Walnut St. Shilbena, MO 63468. Ph # : 573-588-4731 or email them at: < hawkinsbors@yahoo.com >. If it can be had or found Sam will help you. I have other contacts if you need them. Drop me an email. Take care. Lewis.
My hobby is restoring old saw. Just because it's old, doesn't mean she can't run and look good again. Take care. Lewis Brander.

Al_Smith

The gear drives,use a simple spur ,which mounts on a stub shaft off the reduction unit.If I could figure out,how to post a picture here,I would show the one on my McCulloch 650 gear drive.I don't think that Mac,or Homey made any in 3/8 pitch.They are relatively easy to make,using a milling machine,with an indexing head.I had made several,but later found an 8 tooth Homelite spur,that I adapted for the saw,1/2" pitch.

Lewis Brander

Hi Al. On the old Homelite,5-20, I have it shows a 6 tooth and 8 tooth 1/2" pitch sprocket for that saw. The 6 tooth had to be used for the clearing bar, bow bar and regular bars over 33'' in length. The 8 tooth sprocket was used for everything else. That sprockt looks like a simple blank with a round hole in the center with 2 keyways 180 degrees apart with 8 teeth milled into it. Wonder (you would know) how much trouble it would be to make in .404 pitch? Have you tried to make one up? Just curious. Lewis.
My hobby is restoring old saw. Just because it's old, doesn't mean she can't run and look good again. Take care. Lewis Brander.

Al_Smith

Hi Lewis,and all.It would not be that big of a deal.A person would have to figure the base circle of the spur[basicaly a gear,if you will],and figure from that.You would,of course,have to increase the tooth count in order to keep the chain speed the same,when going from 1/2" to ,404.You also have keep in mind than .404 won't take as big of 'bite' as 1/2",per cutter.Most likely it would cut about the same,but I've never tried it as I have plenty of 1/2",for my needs.I also have no idea how a modern chisel tooth would  act at the slower chain speeds of a gear drive.

Lewis Brander

Hi Al. The only thing that I can compare to is going from 7/16" pitch chain to .404. on the Homey 600 D. Went from the old chipper chain, that was 2/3rds gone to a new  .404 round ground chisel. The saw reved higher, cut smother and faster and didn't use as much fuel. Made a whole different acting saw from the change. I've got a Homey 5-20 that has 1/2'' chipper chain on it, that I sharpened and tried, but you had to work that saw through the cut. I had the rakers at .020 and have since gone to .040 raker clearance, but haven't done any cutting to see how much difference there will be. I have since gotten a new 1/2" chipper for it also and waiting to see how that acts. But the old 600 D, made my day with how much difference there was in the saw. Take care. Lewis.

Al_Smith

I just figuered out how to post pictures,so here is the 650 Mac,showing 3 sprockets.The 8 tooth,on the saw,is a modified Homelite.The one on the front bar stud,is a worn 7 tooth,and the other is one I made[ 4140 steel]

twostroke_blood

Hey Weimedog, I cant help you with your chain conundrum,  but I hope you have good luck with your big Homelite. Im also a fan of vintage power. Good Luck !

weimedog

It turns out there IS a .404 sproket for the 1130G and similar gear drive Homelites.....the Homelite part number is: 70353

NOW I have to FIND one or two or three.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Thank You Sponsors!