iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Land clearing

Started by florida, May 10, 2017, 11:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

florida

About 1/2 mile from my house is a 300 acre parcel that is mostly thin pine woods with some live oaks. It's been one of my favorite places to ride my ATV but Monday the land clearing guys showed up. I talked with one of the operators late yesterday who told me he expects to be there 5 months  and that they were pushing everything over. They already have huge pile of whole pine trees and have hardy made a dent. Most of these trees are no saw logs but there are still hundreds that are. All going into the fire. Just makes me crazy to see all this wood going to waste. We don't have any paper mills close enough that pulp would make sense although they used to cut a lot here  years ago.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Ron Scott

To bad that any merchantable wood can't be utilized first.
~Ron

TKehl

Sad, but happens a lot here to.  I can get about all the free logs I want if I will cut them and clean the mess (shove in burn pile).  Saves the farmers $ from paying a dozer/excavator.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

florida

I know it wouldn't make a lot of money but there are some real large pines in there. I had a couple of residential  lots cleared about 10 years ago and they took every one of the pines and sold them to a plywood mill.
Retired now!

ellmoe

Quote from: florida on May 10, 2017, 04:03:23 PM
and sold them to a plywood mill.

Ga-Pa. shuttered that plywood mill years ago. Big pines are not that desirable now in Cent. and South Fl.. Most of the pine market is for mulch and horse shavings. We can buy all the big pines we want and turn them down regularly.
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

florida

ellmoe

I didn't know they had shut down but either way its a long way to any market. We used to have at least one circle mill here that produced a lot of lumber for a lot of years but no more. I guess it's easier to make houses than lumber.
Retired now!

TreesLogan

That is such a waste to clear out the trees and burn them. I live in the desert... sort of. We definitely dont have trees to waste where I am. Whish I had better access to oak. Then I could grow me some Shitake mushrooms.
When you wake up and realize you sarificed your passion for a dollar that never came. At least I am awake now. http://www.treeserviceloganut.com

Thank You Sponsors!